View Full Version : Bonus?

Joe
12-22-2006, 09:23 AM
People in the public sector don't get them - but most of them get pensions, so they are better taken care of than most....

How about you? Does your employer give end-of-year bonuses?

When I worked for other people - with the exception of one employer - I never got them. In retrospect - I should have seen the writing the wall at that moment.

reelecstasy
12-22-2006, 09:52 AM
Nada

The Dad Fisherman
12-22-2006, 09:58 AM
None Here....But he does give us an extra day off for the holidays

ktugboat42
12-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Yup, but it's a quarterly bonus.

JohnR
12-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Now working in the public sector I may have a pension many years down the road I may not - time will tell on that. On the other hand, I do not make as much as I would in the private sector so there is a balance of sorts. Contrary to popular believe, a lot of Public sector employees bust their arses. In my particular case, 2000+ networked devices across 10 buildings with 3000 users with only 3.5 people (one certified - me ) to support. Granted, many of my "users" are not fulltime 40hr/week users but many of them are teenagers and the resulting "hacks" I need to chase balanced that out ;) . A comparable private sector operation would have significantly greater resources to address a project of this scope.

But - I sure as sheet miss my Xmas bonuses at the private company. Granted, not executive size by any stretch but $1k to $3k was a nice bouns at the end of the year.,...

Clammer
12-22-2006, 10:50 AM
nothing // no bonus/sickdays/medical/holidays/vacations >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IBut I wouldn,t trade it for anything ..

hows many other s can fish anyday day or night of the week // & get up @ noon .//
& still survive :wid:

Nebe
12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
ahh the joys of being self emplyed. no bonus for me :(

Sluggoslinger
12-22-2006, 11:03 AM
We get a small holiday bonus here and it makes all the differance in the world for this time of year.

In my line of work this is also where allot of my vendors will say thanks for all the work I have given them. They range from Visa gift cards to bottles of booze. For all you contractors out there, we appriciate this as property managers. It will get you more work, we remember it when we are thinking of bidding out another job.

spinncognito
12-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Used to get some decent ones when I worked in restaraunts but now that I am in Healthcare, even as a manager I get nothing, oh wait, they did give me a tree ornament this year :jump:

I still love my job and my flexible schedule allows me to fish just about anytime which is better than a monetary bonus.... :bounce:

Moses
12-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Based on company profits, all employees receive a bonus up to 25k.
Private company by the way. We receive Jan 31 for prior year.

Sluggoslinger
12-22-2006, 12:15 PM
My Girlfriends father runs a private company and they did a profit sharing bonus of 17% of salary company wide. I wish more people operated like him.

Mr.Mom
12-22-2006, 12:30 PM
My wife is buying me a 'Scumba'....a little robot to mop the floors for me....

That count?

mrmacey
12-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I take care of because I know it means alot to the people who work for me even if its a little something I paid for a Christmas party this year for the first time and I gave everyone a little something I gave my main driver two tickets to the Odyssey everyone recieved scratch tickets and a Dunkin Doughnuts gift card my office person got a $50.00 gift cert I make $h%$ but I remember making money for people and they gave me nothing and you feel it and every year the better I do the better the bounus will be at Christmas.
Merry Christmas dont let the big corporates kid ya If I can say Thank You they can.

gf2020
12-22-2006, 01:42 PM
My previous employer (a Boston mutual fund company) paid an annual bonus, but it was paid in February, not at year end. The bonus range for my job grade (IT management) was 0-32%, depending on company performance and your individual performance.

luds
12-22-2006, 02:01 PM
last year yes. this year no but thanks for reminding me.:lossinit:

cheferson
12-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Bonus, hah hah !!! We got a crap x-mas party, beer and wine, and a crap buffet !!! I was Supposed to get one week vacation next year. Told me i didnt qualify because i didnt work 1800 hours only 1520, i told the human resource women im on salary and many weeks worked 60-70 hrs, she said didnt matter each week only counts as 40 hrs!! WTF!!! TIme for new job!!! Gonna be tuff %$%$%$%$ if im there next year they want me to work then more then 40-50 hours!!!

chris L
12-22-2006, 02:29 PM
I dont deserve a bonus . I try and do as little as possible and take too many days off . when Im there I just write stupid crap on the internet . lets see how long I can get away with it . 15 years till retirement

Canalman
12-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes it ammounts to a shade over a weeks pay which, as someone said above.. makes a big difference at this time of the year/.

ThrowingTimber
12-22-2006, 03:25 PM
1 jar of strawberry perserves... 2 movie tickets...

lurch
12-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Now working in the public sector I may have a pension many years down the road I may not - time will tell on that. On the other hand, I do not make as much as I would in the private sector so there is a balance of sorts. Contrary to popular believe, a lot of Public sector employees bust their arses. In my particular case, 2000+ networked devices across 10 buildings with 3000 users with only 3.5 people (one certified - me ) to support. Granted, many of my "users" are not fulltime 40hr/week users but many of them are teenagers and the resulting "hacks" I need to chase balanced that out ;) . A comparable private sector operation would have significantly greater resources to address a project of this scope.

But - I sure as sheet miss my Xmas bonuses at the private company. Granted, not executive size by any stretch but $1k to $3k was a nice bouns at the end of the year.,...

The public sector pension will NEVER be removed. I asked that question at an interview for a public sector job and the person told me that they had the same policy as a state senators and reps and they are not going to decrease their pension.

I work in the private sector and when offered a job in the public sector the salary decrease was only 5K. Public employees are now making close to the same cash as private sector employees but the public jobs have KILLER benefits. The job I was going to take had 5 weeks vacation, every state holiday off, 7 personal days, 19 sick days and did not have to pay SS taxes....not bad IMO and I should have taken the job...oh well.

I do get a bonus twice a year and it is based on the company performance.

basswipe
12-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Yes.

Squid kids Dad
12-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Nope..Insurance companys suck:realmad:

Raider Ronnie
12-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Nope..Insurance companys suck:realmad:

I remember back when every appraiser I knew was handed an envelope with some cash in it form a shop I worker at !:hidin:
and that was pretty much the norm at evry shop around !:hidin:

spence
12-22-2006, 05:52 PM
This Xmas about 4 weeks extra pay in bonus, 2 weeks extra vacation, bumped my company contribution to my 401K to 60% for the year, offered a company car for '07 and instead of a ham a six hundred dollar gift certificate to Dean and Deluca.

:hidin:

-spence

JohnR
12-22-2006, 06:23 PM
This Xmas about 4 weeks extra pay in bonus, 2 weeks extra vacation, bumped my company contribution to my 401K to 60% for the year, offered a company car for '07 and instead of a ham a six hundred dollar gift certificate to Dean and Deluca.

:hidin:

-spence

Need IT guys?

Squid kids Dad
12-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Not anymore...Cant take anything...

Joe
12-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Say hello to folks you've canned.....
And everyone you've screwed....

BigBo
12-22-2006, 09:38 PM
Jelly of the month club here.:af:

spence
12-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Need IT guys?
Oh, thanks you just woke me up :) :gorez:

-spence

fishpoopoo
12-22-2006, 10:13 PM
:hihi:

tattoobob
12-23-2006, 10:39 AM
I can't go into it, it really pisses me off this year
anyways I am going to just play scratch tickets
instead of working. that's what all the welfare people do

Swimmer
12-23-2006, 11:27 AM
Delicious fattening chocolate chip cookies, numerous varieties, people bring in to the station, and the smile that goes along with the cookies is great.

Hell its a bonus in my job to not be told your an a#&%$(e. A mere sneer is a good day in my job, thank you.

capesams
12-23-2006, 10:40 PM
my wife hasn't kicked me out of the house yet...that's a bonus right?

BrianS
12-23-2006, 10:45 PM
We get

-$100 for every xmas youve worked there - up to $2000

-a small package with a $25 gift cert to like Borders or starbucks and some other goodies.

-a HUGE xmas party... food/drink/beer etc.

-and we go out to eat as a department on the firm, we are hitting Flemings in Boston next week... last time we went out, the bill was well over $1400 for 12 people... :)

Joe
12-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Now think about how much money you made the guy....

luds
12-26-2006, 12:15 PM
just got called in for a bonus. :happy: :happy: :happy:

gonna go a long way towards the engagement ring.

tattoobob
12-26-2006, 09:33 PM
just got called in for a bonus. :happy: :happy: :happy:

That's great Mike Congrats

Now think about how much money you made the guy....

I know how much I made my old boss and he repaid me by laying me off then when they got more work they hired another for less money per-hour. No bonus and a kick in the balls at the same time

CAL
12-26-2006, 11:45 PM
I got a $40 gift card for Stop & Shop. The best I ever got was $600 from another shop. So while this company kinda sucks with their bonuses, I'm not gonna complain because I've worked places where you get zilch. Take what ya can get.

Clogston29
12-27-2006, 06:47 AM
my company doesn't give bonuses until you've been there over a year and a half, which I miss by about 2 weeks this year. its a civil engineering firm though so I'm only missing out on a couple hundred.

The Dad Fisherman
12-27-2006, 08:01 AM

Looks like there's gonna be a lot of plugs for sale in the Classifieds soon...:hihi:

But seriously....Congrats :kewl:

Bass Babe
12-27-2006, 11:13 AM
This year I got $200 to Amazon.com for Christmas. Next year will be $1500, the next $2000, the next $2500, and, after that, profit sharing. Oh, and the other day I got a call from the reimbursement lady, and she told me that I'm entitled to $81 in food costs for a drive down to VA and back. She called me to tell me that they could give me more money?! Also, there's a bonus program, calculated quarterly, where you can get a bonus of up to $100/sea day (about 12 per month...that's a possible $14400!). I'm still waiting for the punchline.

Thom
12-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Nope unless you count the holiday dinner that I didn't go to. ThomT