View Full Version : V6 Yamaha 150 HPDI direct fuel injected engine

Got Stripers
12-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Any opinions of this motor's ability to match the fuel economy of a 150 4-stroke? Talking to someone with a used V-hull with that motor on it with 120 hours. Curious about general feedback of that motor, as I sort of had my heart set on another 4-stroke, especially with my year round fishing into cold weather. Are there any reported drawbacks of 2 strokes in cold weather with oil mixtures etc?

Thanks.

blaruffa
12-23-2006, 12:03 PM
I have a 2004' Yamaha 150 HPDI on a 26' Sea Pro with Hard top. With Yamaha Guage Package and Fuel Flow. At wide open throttle you are looking at 22ghp. That will push my boat 38kts. My typical crusie speed is 25kts at 12gph. The motor gives my boat an incredible hole shot.

I would say on oil that I burn 2 gallons per 150 gall of gas on normal cruise. If I run it WOT I burn about double the amount of oil.

I would have a Yamaha mechanic go over the engine. I bought my boat last with 75 Hours on it and at 77 Hours the power head blew. That motor is very complex and conmputerized. It would be worth having a mechanic down load the computer readouts to see what the engines operation life has been as well a checking that the oil pump is working correctly.

But since the motor was under warranty Yamaha made good on it and replaced the head, fuel injectors, oil pump, with all 2006 Parts.

I put 80 Hours on the new head last year with no issues.

I will tell you what Yamaha said to me, I was lucky that I had put Yamaha oil in, beacuse if was any other TW3C oil they would not have covered the power head they way they did.

So now I only used Yamaha Lube and a 10 Micron Fuel Filter. Yamaha wanted a Yamaha filter but the dealer told them no way Racor 10 Micron with clear bowl so i can keep an eye on the fuel.

I am very happy with the motor I am able to turn the key and go. Having come from a Mercury 150 EFi were I did my own maintence to the Yamaha. With the Yamaha HPDI this is a motor which is not a do it yourself maintainence motor. That is the only draw back that I see.

Hope my input helps.

By the way What year is the motor?

gf2020
12-23-2006, 04:40 PM
You have one 150 HPDI on a 26' Sea Pro? Or are you running twins?

The cruise numbers for the 150 HPDI on my McKee Craft 196 are as follows...

4500 RPM 35 MPH 8.1 GPH 4.3 MPG

I burn Yamalube 2M at 60:1.

fishsmith
12-24-2006, 08:55 AM
Pros -
Sounds like the price is right
120hrs is barely a season,
Yammi's have a good record
parts are plentiful.

Cons -
you lose the smoke free ride of the 4stoke
added cost of 2stroke oil
the extra gas can't go right into your car
will outboard emissions ever come to fruition

blaruffa
12-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Gf2020,

I am running a single 150 on my SeaPro. But it is a heavy boat, It is 7700# with full fuel, water, gear and the family.

Raider Ronnie
12-25-2006, 08:21 PM
Yamaha 150 & 200 hpdi motors are good !
The 250 and 300 hpdi is another story !!!

Van
12-26-2006, 04:18 PM
Bob:

Not trying to promote another boating website, but at
http://www.thehulltruth.com
there are some very knowledgable folks.

Oh yea !!!
Chris Fitz band-----ROCKS, nice seeing you.

Got Stripers
12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Yeah Van, Chris puts on a great show, but it was a treat to see him up close and personal in a small room. Do I have to sign up and pay a site fee to post on that boat, or is it just members can email members. I wanted to email a guy posting about his McKee 196 with a trolling motor, curious about the success or failures of that boat under electric power, but the board wouldn't allow me.

Tight lines.

Bob:

Not trying to promote another boating website, but at
http://www.thehulltruth.com
there are some very knowledgable folks.

Oh yea !!!
Chris Fitz band-----ROCKS, nice seeing you.

Mr. Sandman
12-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Get a complete dump of the computer. You will need to take it to a dealer. But the entire history of the engine is in there. Every alarm, rmp range, everything....It is worth the investment.

RIROCKHOUND
12-27-2006, 09:41 AM
A certified mechanic should be able to do that as well..
Working on Long island we had a mom-pop mechanic who was Merc. certified dump the computer, so we got a quick report along with a new injector, all in under 2 hours...

Van
12-27-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah Van, Chris puts on a great show, but it was a treat to see him up close and personal in a small room. Do I have to sign up and pay a site fee to post on that boat, or is it just members can email members. I wanted to email a guy posting about his McKee 196 with a trolling motor, curious about the success or failures of that boat under electric power, but the board wouldn't allow me.

Tight lines.
Strange it wouldn't let you. I am on there and I'm able to post and PM.

buckman
12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
I must be doing something wrong, I have a 200hp on a 23 wellcraft coastal and I top out at 30 and cruise at 25Knts,:doh: I need to use whatever you are appling to your bottom:cheers: check to see when thermostat and water pump impeller was last changed? My Yamaha is a 1988 and has never skipped a beat.