View Full Version : long distance spinng reels

whiplash
12-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Are reels with the tall spools better for distance than the old flat spools? Any thoughts on reels around 200-250 bucks?

Mike P
12-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Daiwa Emblem Pro 5000 or 5500 in the $135 to $150 price range.

Decent bang for the buck. Casts like a mother.

whiplash
12-26-2006, 05:04 PM
I fished the old brown coffee grinders for years and then bought some silver series they came out with that was pure junk and I never boutght another one . This is back in the 70's. I've been looking at the Diawas , maybe its time for a closer look.

OverTheBar
12-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Yes, the long and shallow profile gives you better distance performance than the short and deep profiles. The long spool doesn't "empty" as quickly as a short spool and that minimizes the biggest distance robber, friction at the lip of the spool.

Long spools and thin braids equal big casts. The rod is also important; moderate fast actions cast better than slower, parabolic actions (of course they won't work a lure quite as well) . . .

One thing to consider is that the vast majority of the long spool reels are offered in 5000 size or bigger. If you are looking for a plugging reel the match-up might not be optimal. Most of those reels in your budget tip the scales at well over 20 ounces.

The only way to get into that 20oz and below weight class is with major $$$$ and ordering from Japanese tackle shops . . . The reels are just not seen or sold here.

There is a partial exception!

The Daiwa Powersurf series weighs 20.5 ounces and can be had for about $200 - $240 including shipping from Japan. They have a 35mm spool and a 15kg (33lb) drag; they have been making an impression on some guys fishing the Big Ditch from what I’ve been reading. They stand up to the fish and the current and cast like a banshee!

If you are interested I can post up some more info. I use a bunch of Japan market distance spinners from Shimano and Daiwa; I am familiar with what's out there. This one is considered the ultimate distance spinner; Daiwa Tournament Surf Basia QD45II:

That reel has over 160 yards of line out . . . see what I mean about the line level?

If you Google the name, "Daiwa Powersurf," some good stuff comes up.

Also, do a Google search on the name “Fishing Website Plat.” Once there click on "Surf Game" on the main menu . . . . try to keep your eyes in your head.

IMPORTANT POINTS!

The Japanese market caters very specifically for certain uses and many reels are offered with:

A) Spools that hold too little line for our use over here . . . and
B) Reels with no drag, the spool is locked down . . .

Some of the really neat reels are for casting competition or fishing for very small fish (kisu). They don't have large fields so their casting comps are with micro-braids and light weights (100 yards is a huge cast) and the fish they catch are so small no drag is needed . . .

Be aware when surfing the Asian sites too because the translation, while entertaining at times, can be confusing.

Use XE.com (http://www.xe.com/ucc/) for Yen to Dollar conversion.

Hope this helps.

Steve K
12-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Daiwa Emblem Pro 5000 or 5500 in the $135 to $150 price range.

Decent bang for the buck. Casts like a mother.

I completely agree.

chief10
12-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I agree on the emblem pro 5500.comes with two aluminum spools and its braid friendly or for the beach look into the saltiga surf model $400.00

Rockport24
12-28-2006, 10:49 AM
I've noticed increased casting distance with my Penn slammer 560 as opposed to the 6500SS, the 560 has a taller spool and I think it has everything to do with that.

ThrowingTimber
12-28-2006, 10:55 AM
A good friend flew out from cali to fish the fall this season, loves the big blues they dont have them there and this guy was lauching the casts out there: Daiwa Tournament Surf Basia QD45II paired with a lami ara. right then and there I said to myself, self.. I need one of these :uhuh: The line lay on these is sick, sick, sick, sick, sick!!!!

Swimmer
12-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Shimano Sustain 5000-6000 with an 11' Arra:bgi:

eastendlu
12-28-2006, 12:26 PM
A good friend flew out from cali to fish the fall this season, loves the big blues they dont have them there and this guy was lauching the casts out there: Daiwa Tournament Surf Basia QD45II paired with a lami ara. right then and there I said to myself, self.. I need one of these :uhuh: The line lay on these is sick, sick, sick, sick, sick!!!!

I know who you mean he was outcasting me by 50 yards and he was casting a danny plug and i was casting a pencil.:eek:

BobT
12-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Yup............love my Emblem Pro 5500 except for the handle falling off. Got to get extra handles or roll pin the 2 I have.

Backbeach Jake
12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
OverTheBar: nice first post, thanks. And welcome to S-B.

basswipe
12-28-2006, 05:47 PM
The new Daiwa Saltiga Surf.

http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/spinning.aspx

This is only second hand info.The few I've spoken with say its incredible for distance casting without the shortcoming of the Emblem Pro(sand,dunking etc.).Basically a much more surf friendly reel.

OverTheBar
12-28-2006, 06:17 PM
OverTheBar: nice first post, thanks. And welcome to S-B.

Thanks for the welcome, you probably know me from SOL, :scatter: different name over there but given the subject of this thread, shouldn't be hard to figure out!

Another reel with excellent performance at a reasonable price is the Shimano Power Aero. I have two of them and have had no trouble in two years of tournament fishing. On that big auction site some NIB 2005 models are still offered, a search on completed auctions shows they are going for under $200 dollars. As with most Shimanos though, they are a brick. These come in at over 23 ounces. :musc:

The two knob drag is neat, it acts like a baitrunner . . . allows you to set a strike tension and then return to a fighting drag without fumbling or overtightening.

Mike P
12-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the welcome, you probably know me from SOL, :scatter: different name over there but given the subject of this thread, shouldn't be hard to figure out!

Sarge :wave:

OverTheBar
12-28-2006, 11:26 PM
Told ya it wouldn't be hard!

Hi Mike! :kewl:

timf
12-29-2006, 01:46 AM
Has anyone used the Tica Dolphins? Same issue with dunking/sand but would the short money ($65) be worth it to pick up a couple?

surfer247
12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
I bought my daiwa powersurf on e-bay, straight from japan.And it was quick,it took just three days for the reel to come.

surfer247
12-30-2006, 01:34 PM
I bought my daiwa powersurf on e-bay, straight from japan.e-bay has a whole selection of japanese rods and reels.And it was quick,it took just three days for the reel to come.

OverTheBar
12-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Has anyone used the Tica Dolphins? Same issue with dunking/sand but would the short money ($65) be worth it to pick up a couple?

Many of the guys on my surf fishing team have them. We fish hard, out on the bar when we can and while the reels aren't getting "dunked" they do get wet. Key for all these Asian reels is keeping the roller and main shaft well lubricated. These points, especially the main shaft entry are getting swiped with the long spool travel. I will often regrease duing mid-day break if the reel has been taking water. Specifically, the Tica Dolphin seems to develop a wobble after a year or more of hard work; it just seems to get "loose." Doesn't really affect the performance but just doesn't feel right.

One real plus is their super high speed model, it's great for screaming lures for fat alberts and spanish macks!

I bought my daiwa powersurf on e-bay, straight from japan.e-bay has a whole selection of japanese rods and reels.And it was quick,it took just three days for the reel to come.

Shipping is quick with most of those sellers; many times I'll order in the afternoon here and wake up the next morning and have an email saying the reel is at JFK, waiting in Customs.

For everyone, as I said in post 4, watch the spools offered by those ebay sellers and be sure the reel has a drag. The higher-end Daiwa's and Shimanos will be offered with a #2, #3, #5 or #8 spool; each designates the depth and therefore the line capacity. Generally you want the highest number available. Buying a reel and then finding out it only holds 180 yards of line is a bummer, especially when the correct spool is gonna put you back another $100 . . . :sick: :smash:

Sudsrat
01-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Good info as usual OTB.

Hey Sarge!!:kewl:

zimmy
01-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Any problems with the bail snapping shut on the Daiwa powersurf? They look cool, but I am not a big fan of snapping off plugs because of bails... can they be modified to manual close?

zimmy
01-08-2007, 11:54 AM
I think I found in my search that it is a manual bail?