View Full Version : First Schoolie for me :)

Plum Island
06-21-2002, 11:24 AM
I wanted to share this picture with you people, and also to THANK YOU ALL for all your support & help

This picture is to big for this site, so please click the link below:

My first schoolie (http://members.aol.com/flyfishingpi/firstschoolie.jpg)

Caught using: Clams
Tide: Low tide *( almost all the way out )*

Scotch Bonnet
06-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Where did you catch that fish.....Disneyland? And whats with the arrow?:).....Ohhh, thats the weight reeled right up tight to rod tip, I'm seein things:rolleyes:

schoolie monster
06-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Sometimes you just need to break the ice. Good job. I'll bet the second one will be easier than the first one.

Couple suggestions though... don't lay your rod in the sand and smoke less cigarettes... I guess fewer cigarettes is better english. Unless you smoked all those due to the excitement of your first striper. That I would understand.

I remember my first striper. I set the bar pretty high and haven't caught very many bigger.

June 1984 40+" close to 25lbs... on a bluefish plug off Madaket Beach in Nantucket. I was 14 and didn't know a darn thing about stripers. My second was about 20" on a bomber in a little inlet in Quincy in 1997. I didn't really fish for stripers very often living in PA.

Congrats, now you got the "stink" of your hooks.

LINESIDES
06-21-2002, 01:37 PM
PI,
My first was about that size! We could keep them then!
I hope it went back into the water ok? Its a Short!
Later

saltydog
06-21-2002, 03:31 PM
WELL, the catch looks good! congrats,
BUT, looks like the beach is full of (TRASH) cig-buts.
"good luck good fishin"

redcrbbr
06-21-2002, 07:56 PM
glad to hear you finally made it to the DELMONTE GREEN BEAN TEAM!! now just go catch it's momma. wtg PI

Fisherwoman
06-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Congradulations Plum Island, you broke the ice, it just keeps getting better from here on!!! Go Gettum

Plum Island
06-22-2002, 09:53 AM
I caught a lot of schoolies lastnight too, biggest one biggest 26"........ALMOST there for my FIRST keeper :) I'm using a 2oz sinker on my fishfinder, and then longer leader. Thanks again everyone :)

bait used: frozen clams,herring,mack.
*( Trying fresh bait tonight )*

bassmaster
06-22-2002, 10:20 AM
Good for You Bubba..... Nice Fish and glad Ya gettin fish:D

Plum Island
06-23-2002, 10:07 AM
Me & my friend got more last night.
The biggest being 26"

bait used: herring,mack,clams.
*( frozen bait )*

Today is my day off.
I'm going to try "FRESH BAIT".
I will post my results.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.

schoolie monster
06-24-2002, 09:33 AM
The flood gates are opened... don't worry about the keeper, it'll come. Sometimes it just takes that first fish, whether its the first fish of the day, first of the year.

I can't prove it scientifically, there just seems to be a "stank" on a hook or lure till you get a fish on it :)

Seriously, you just need that fish to have the confidence. Even when I get into a school and the fish are breakin' and until I get the first hit, I'm wondering if I should throw something else. But as soon as the hit comes, I relax and fish.

Fish_Eye
06-24-2002, 10:41 PM
PI,

Great news! You're on your way! I can't wait to see the picture of your first 20 pounder. Maybe by next week?!?!?

Mike