View Full Version : Orient Point Long Island - suggestions?

BrianS
12-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I am making a trip to Long Island come late march. Ill be taking my car over on the boat from New London to Orient Point.

I imagine this is the time of year that bass might start showing up in the area. Can anyone confirm that and if so, can anyone suggest any easily accessible public areas withing driving distance that I could wet a line waiting for the boat home? Ill prolly have a good 2-3 hours to waste.

fishpoopoo
12-27-2006, 11:18 AM
too early for bass.

3rd saturday in march is opening day for NY flounder tho. if it is warm, you can meet 'n greet several hundred other anglers in the nearby shinnecock area.

BrianS
12-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up
That means either I stare at the flounder guys for a few hours, or just stay with the other geeks at the scifi convention a little longer..

:)

MTC
12-28-2006, 09:01 PM
The Fluke don't come to the water nears 50 degrees. I fish out of Old Lyme 8 miles away. The Stripers show up (Small) in April at the mouth of the CT River. I did my first charter of the year on Good Friday last year and landed over 100 schoolies. They were small but I was using lite tackle. Come June some of the best Striper fishing in New England happend arounf there!

fishpoopoo
12-29-2006, 07:28 AM
i caught my first 2006 fluke on a bottom-fishing charter a mile outside of Pt. Jude.

In late March. :eek: