View Full Version : Mid life crisis @

Vectorfisher
12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
35:wall: So disgusted with everything as of late, been working for myself for 6yrs now and cannot stand dealing with people for the most part anymore, between chasing non payer's, dealing with inspectors, Nstar, IRS I am ready to call it quits and go work for someone else. Did I mention I hate Massachusetts, Maine is looking better and better everyday, just need jr to get through 8th grade and then maybe Kent Hill High in readfield. Having surgery last week has given me more time than usual to reflect on the direction my life is headed I guess that is what stemmed this thread. Heres to a better 07:buds:

UserRemoved1
12-27-2006, 12:36 PM
sucks working for yourself vf. Anybody that can tries to bend you over. Self employment tax etc.
17 years now on my own. Only good part is I can do what I want when I want

good grump material

RIJIMMY
12-27-2006, 12:38 PM
I feel your pain, I'm 37. I've been telling people I have been goign through a mid-life crisis since I was 20. I've never found a job I've liked or satisfied with, still looking for it. I am happy with my family and things outside of work but I get pretty glum this time of year. I miss the ocean. hang in there, focus on whats truly important. And keep looking, sometime sits all about teh quest and not the destination.....sounds corny but true

stripersnipr
12-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Dont expect life to get any easier in Massachusetts for those who work for a living for a very long time. On the other hand if you decide to give up the whole working for a living thing Massachusetts could be your ticket.

Vectorfisher
12-27-2006, 02:28 PM
sucks working for yourself vf. Anybody that can tries to bend you over. Self employment tax etc.
17 years now on my own. Only good part is I can do what I want when I want

good grump material

Being able to do what I want when I want most of the time is what has kept me self employed the last couple years. I keep telling my wife that I should just start retirement now if I am going to spend money buying materials and such for jobs and not get paid I my as well stay home and keep my money:think: I could never use the system to support my family I can't stomach to see these people who live in section 8 don't get married collect every dime they can one of them holds down a job and they live as well as I do if not better:rocketem:

UserRemoved1
12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
VF I have a strict policy and some people don't like it...if you can't pay me I don't want to do business with you.

The way I figure it I'd rather put 10 extra hours in for someone who pays their bills (and on time) than spend ANY time dealing with someone who doesn't.

No fun being self employed and chasing people all the time. Some don't realize or care you need to put food on the table too. I've been screwed every which way you could ever imagine so I know how you feel.

SS that stuff really gets me cranking....It ticks me off to no end to see people loafing off my taxes.

gone fishin
12-27-2006, 02:46 PM
VF - sounds like you need someone to be your business agent. I am also in business for myself and one of the first things I learned was to get at least your stock dough before starting a job. I always get at least 1/3 up front. If they don't have the $ to start you off you know you are not going to be paid in the end. Most jobs that are looking suspicious, I get 1/2 up front before strarting anything. Also just before the job is 100% complete, I ask for the final payment. If there is any sign of hesitation it is time to visit the courthouse!
If you think Maine is any better, ,you had better take another look. The same thing is going on in Maine, NH and anywhere you go.

Sluggoslinger
12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
What business are you in? Work for commercial properties, we pay bills quick and its much more professional then dealing with private people...

BigFish
12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Don...just for reference you can only legally request 1/3 up front. I Usually have my cutomers pay me in full when I am done....these customers come from oil companies I do work for and they are well recommended as either good customers or dead beats so I know to get an advance or if I can wait until I am done. I have had no issues to speak of. People do not understand however that we are doing the work to feed our families and survive....not for grins and giggles!:cool:

mrmacey
12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Get a good credit card on file signed!! as back up.

Slingah
12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
the grass is always greener VF......
I am self employed and 2 yrs ago gave it up to "get a job".....well it was a mistake...same headaches...less money...I am lucky I quit and got all my customers back and then some...
I love working for myself most of the time and never have had a problem getting my dough....for me it's simple. I am a very small operation though.......I show up, do a good job (with a smile on my face)and get paid....

Vectorfisher
12-27-2006, 05:26 PM
I am an Electrician and have been screwed for a 125 service call to thousands on decent sized commercial job, and not to mention the turds who think 90 days is totally acceptable to hold onto money my money! Most of the time I grin and bear it but lately it is starting to really get under my skin. I even had a lady recently who called and apologized when she got her 2nd invoice to say she had forgot about me and would send it out right away, guess what 2 mos later and still no check:rollem: I could take all these people to court but by the time I pay a lawyer I end up with half if I am lucky and small claims court really needs to up the ante to 5k IMO
What I have found with people is that you can get dough up front but the ones that are going to stiff you will come out at the end when the final payment is due
I comment on moving to Maine for an upgrade in quality of life not that I think people there are any better at paying there bills, I would work for someone. I have loads of equity in my current home that would allow me to build a brand new house with a nice chunk of land (with a couple grouse to run my bird dogs on daily) and invest a couple hundredK for living/retirement

UserRemoved1
12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
vf lemme tell you a little story...There once was a courier in Boston...a big one, had about 50 bike couriers and 23-40 cars at any given time...Guy rented airtime from me on my Hancock site...well make a long story short he stopped paying his bill one day and was still calling for service...service became cod...airtime was unpaid, it was about $2200 total in arrears. I shut him off on one of his busiest days (oh mean ol me ) he refused to pay the bill so I went small claims...I took him all the way to a capius, and paid a deputy to go there at 3:00 on a Friday afternoon...yep he got arrested, spent the weekend in lockup, judge got PISSED at me, (gee your honor I didn't know he was going there on Friday afternoon) I got my money Monday morning. What goes around comes around. Guy even tried to tell the judge he wasn't using his radios, lucky me I had the airtime printouts off the site showing something like 3200 minutes a month usage.

You're in a business that is very similar to mine. Guys like Larry got it made they're not dealing with big companies or complexes etc, they're usually dealing with a homeowner or individual and there's the difference. (Larry don't take offense that I say this) It's one thing to do a job and get payment on the spot, but like you and I both know that's not going to happen with many of the people we deal with every day. Accountants/bookkeepers never in the office, every excuse under the sun not to get a check, not to mention the fact that many times your not even working at the main office it's out in the field somewhere and it sure don't make sense to drive all the way across Boston to go stand and wait to get a check. Plus the fact that if I walked into Channel 5 tomorrow and said ok I'm done with your service call gimme my money they'd laugh me right out of the place. You just can't do stuff like that.

But sometimes it's these people that string you along, sometimes not. I find usually it's the guys like yourself that are scraping by that will pay their bills on time and the rich guys with the bux are usually the one's that stiff you. I know of only a few exceptions to this in 17 years.

Another one that comes to mind was a Police Dept that called many moons ago at 2:35 in the morning because they had a cruiser radio down. I spoke with the Lt on the telephone and troubleshot the problem to what sounded like a bad microphone. Wouldn't change it out of a spare car they had sitting there even though it was a modular telephone style plug. They made me go out there full knowing because I reminded them it was time and a half minimum 4 hours. I fought with these guys for 8 months just to get a po for the invoice because the chief didn't want to pay the bill. I finally got paid then I told him to take his business elsewhere and why. All for a $50 microphone. They knew the cost of the call before I drove out there in the middle of the nite and still didn't want to pay the bill...I don't do any work for PD or FD anymore no way no how because of that. I dropped every one of those accounts and found them new service providers.

It's a whole diff ball of wax when you deal in a service business like ours.

Maine isn't much better. Taxes are alot different up there they just take it in different places. Is a nice place to retire though my dad will tell you that...he looks at Nubble light every day :)

Nebe
12-27-2006, 08:59 PM
i love working for myself. i dont make much money but i am who i am and i do what i love. what more can you ask for really.

I have a deadbeat account right now i am trying to get about a grand out of.. took a bunch of my glass@ N-30, sold it and never paid for it :(

tattoobob
12-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I am not going to get into it, but no mater if you work for your self or your self employed you get screwed. there is no loyalty anymore anywhere

BigFish
12-27-2006, 09:53 PM
No offense taken Scott....you are quite right! Its pretty sweet keeping things small and simple! I could not do business waiting 30/60/90 days to get paid! No way!:rollem:

Raven
12-28-2006, 08:54 AM
cash at the end of the day
...when yer self employed if ya can....

or start to walk....
...pack things, rollem up...slowly
if they just ....let you go....
you weren't getting paid.
otherwise ....they deal.:kewl:

fishpoopoo
12-28-2006, 09:07 AM
I have a deadbeat account right now i am trying to get about a grand out of.. took a bunch of my glass@ N-30, sold it and never paid for it :(

cut his balls off. :hee:

tattoobob
12-28-2006, 09:47 AM
cash at the end of the day
...when yer self employed if ya can....

or start to walk....
...pack things, rollem up...slowly
if they just ....let you go....
you weren't getting paid.
otherwise ....they deal.:kewl:

This might work in your head but try to tell a homeowner or business you don't trust them and you want your money at the end of everyday. you won't be getting the job.

When I take on a job, I figure all the labor and material then double it.
I get all the money for the material and labor up front. and at the end of the job the last 2 payments are mine if I get them I get 1/2 to start, 1/4 on the rough inspection and 1/4 on the final inspection

Swimmer
12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
VF PM being that will rectify your collections issues

Goose
12-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Not to be a smart azz but how do you know its 'mid life'crisis, today you may have to tread water, tomorrow hold your breath who knows. Live life to the fullest is all we can ask for, your doin good.