View Full Version : James Kim of C/Net

Mr. Sandman
12-27-2006, 02:09 PM
I use to read a lot of C/Net reviews and this guy was great. Many of the gadgets/TVs/phones/cameras/computers I own were review by C/Net. James was a key figure there, no question. He died trying to save his famliy in the Oragon Mtn's recently. I recently saw a TV show that documented his entire ordeal, it was heartwrenching. My wife was so upset she left the room in tears. Anyway, there is a nice documentry page on C-NET . I think I may even have an email from him in one of my archives answeing a question about a device I was considering. If you don't know him from the website, I am sure when you see him you will know who "that guy" is if you ever visited CNET.
http://news.com.com/2009-12-6141617.html

fishpoopoo
12-27-2006, 02:21 PM
in my opinion he was an unprepared IDIOT who put his entire family at risk.

granted, he went down a road which should have been cordoned off (the lock was removed) but, nevertheless, he was unprepared.

i am sorry if this sounds harsh, but you have give mother nature enormous leeway when you are traveling in the wilderness during the winter.

Mr. Sandman
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I said the same when I saw the show. I would have not gone over that pass without some supplies and a gps. (I can't believe he didn't have a gps, I have one in almost every vehicle I own.) I would not have gone down the road as long as he did and would have turned around when it went to dirt it become clear that it was not the right way. (a few miles at most)
Also, I think this is easy to "monday morning QB" this and say...I woulda or he shoulda. The guy who cut the lock and opened the gate should get manslaughter IMO.

That said, I still liked what he did on c/net.

The Dad Fisherman
12-27-2006, 02:32 PM
How many people Prepare for Wilderness Survival when they are going to their relatives for Thankgiving.

He tried to plan his route but the Atlas he used didn't show that road as being closed in the winter. and then Some Idiot (this is where that word belongs) removes the lock from the gate so someone uses a closed road.

I feel real bad for him and his family. That could have happened to anybody.

fishpoopoo
12-27-2006, 02:50 PM
anyhoo, after this terrible story aired, and the details were unraveled, i started to think seriously about packing a wintertime kit in the truck ... just in case.

these include a sleeping bag, fleece hat and gloves, first aid kit, water proof matches and sterno and starter log, a camping mess kit, flashlights and spare AA batteries, a knife, and a five gallon water jug (which I keep filled)...in addition to the beach 4WD kit (jack board, jack, tow cable, pressure gauge). they don't take up too much space and are fairly inexpensive things you can get at wally world. i guess a gps would be helpful too, if you knew how to use it.

all the survivalist nutbags err i mean experts i talk to tell me that a person can last a few weeks without food, a few days without water, but only a few hours without shelter.

also, i distinctly remembered one really important thing from my hunter education class that just might have saved James Kim's life: if you are lost in the woods, STAY PUT.

The Dad Fisherman
12-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Thats a good idea, wouldn't hurt to throw a box of granola bars or something in with it incase.

and no truer words have been spoken....Stay Put.

RIJIMMY
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
its easy to say, but if I was sitting there for 8 days with young kids and watching them wither away, I would have left fro help too. Patience is not one of my qualities.

fishpoopoo
12-27-2006, 03:20 PM
its easy to say, but if I was sitting there for 8 days with young kids and watching them wither away...

just another clueless urban SHEEP who needlessly endangered his family. i'm sorry, this story just makes me angry on so many levels.

alright, i'll shut up now.

Swimmer
12-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Now I know why the name was familiar to me before his ordeal started/ended.

Even though I live in S.E. Mass. in the winter I never go anywhere without winter hat and gloves just in case truck craps out somewhere and I have to walk. There is always water in the truck year round.