View Full Version : Tool Quality Lacking!

BigFish
12-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I was looking at another drill press today.....go to Homies to look at the Ryobi's as I have 2 of them and like them and the 12 inch floor model is on clearance $50.00 off! Its pretty beat and not worth the savings so then I notice why the clearance.......its an old model! On the floor are the new models and they are all crap!!!! Plastic belt covers now, cheap plastic switches.....they feel like they are just ready to break when you use them the first time!!! I will not be buying Ryobi anymore! Hard to find tools made to last as they all seem to be made to be disposable!:wall:

justplugit
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
Check out some second hand tool shops if they have them in your area ,Larry. The old stuff rocks and alot of good buys. :hihi:

Guyver
12-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I've been looking for one that when the chuck is lowered all the way I can't make it wobble by grabbing and moving it back and forth. Haven't found one yet. :doh:

Tagger
12-27-2006, 05:21 PM
yea ... Used is good Larry .. Alot of homeowners get a drill press and use it once in ten years .. plenty of life in old/new beaters . want adds in local paper maybe,,, cheap .. Or go to Beaver and buy top of the line .. $$$$$$

Pete F.
12-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Old and used but not abused is the way to go. The difference between powertools pre 1975 and today is amazing. There is probably a used one in a basement within a couple of miles of you.

Pete F.
12-27-2006, 05:23 PM
yea ... Used is good Larry .. Alot of homeowners get a drill press and use it once in ten years .. plenty of life in old/new beaters . want adds in local paper maybe,,, cheap .. Or go to Beaver and buy top of the line .. $$$$$$

Mind reader:bl2:

Tagger
12-27-2006, 05:30 PM
And another thing Homies Sux ... They got nothing since woodworkers warehouse moved out of our area.. No Competition .. They sell junk .. I got a Simmons shower valve from them and put it in and it leaked.. I asked a plumber in work and he said the valve not the same as plumbers supply house .. made special (cheap) for Homies .. He told me to check the diverter inside its plastic ... sure as shinoly plastic diverter all deformed and melty from too much heat (me) sweating it in .. I digress to grumpy old fart ... sorry . replaced diverter .. now water tight . :wiggle:

BigFish
12-27-2006, 05:58 PM
I like the 2 Ryobi's I have.....10" both of them! My neighbor just gave me an old Craftsman standup drill press last week.......it needs a new electric wire but the thing is rock solid....have not seen it run yet as it shorted due to the frayed wire/electrical cord.:uhuh:

GattaFish
12-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I wish to heck I could have found some old stuff,,,,, My gramps had some great stuff,,,Rock solid tools,,,, no plastic..., My uncle did not pass up any of it..... I don't blame him,,,,,

Never the less Since I am stuck in TX I was at lowes when they had a sale on the Delta stuff,,, $99 bucks per piece and if you buy 3 you get a $50 gift card,,, that should get me through the winter without going insane,,,,, It all seems to be ok for now,,,,,

PNG
12-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Check out the Pro Tech at Ocean State Job lot
Short $$ good stuff (for what you are paying)

As mentioned above older stuff rocks, real bearings etc...

Mike P
12-27-2006, 07:19 PM
Your first mistake was going to Home Cheapo.

Lots of the name brand stuff they carry is built to their cheapo specs ;)

BigFish
12-27-2006, 09:55 PM
I have all Jet/Delta tools except for my drill presses and I am going Jet standup shortly....but like I said....the Ryobi's I have cost $100.00 each and they work great! But with them cheaping down the product with all the plastic....I am done with them!:wave:

Karl F
12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Larry, go for a top dollar, high end, commercial machine, not a "Harry Homeowner".. you are a plug company, write it off.. depreciation, or whatever is allowed for a commercial manufacturer.

I love my Delta, but wished today I had another, to speed my process a bit... if I come across another deal like I got...meybe.. but I'm just a hobbyist.....and a cheap bastage ta boot :D

afterhours
12-28-2006, 08:04 AM
i'm mostly jet equipped- good quality for the $$$. like others have said- the old stuff is solid!

ProfessorM
12-28-2006, 12:12 PM
You get what you pay for.:gorez: Disposable society we live in. AS mentioned above HD carrys nothing but crap in everything they sell. They thrive on the uneducated consumer who doesn't know any better. Nothing personal Ed. In machinery I go by if you can lift it then it probably isn't very good. Buy old stuff and fix up if you have too. You need a used Bridgeport.:eek5: Pick them up for around 1500 to 2000 bucks and you will be set for life. I wish I had the room as there is one at work they would give me probably, but then again I got 10 all to myself at nite.:yawn: :yawn: