View Full Version : new to deer hunting

american spirit
12-28-2006, 01:56 PM
heading out next year to new york for a deer hunting trip with some in law's. any recommendations on quality rifles and scopes. i have absolutely no experience with deer hunting. i only shoot skeet with my 12 gauge o/u every sunday.

any recs are appreciated.

mikecc
12-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I shoot a remington 700MR 3006 bolt action with a Burris 3X9X50 scope.

Also look into a 308 ,270
It is more the shooter than the gun, first shot counts.
Get lots of practice on the rang before you go.

rob-s
12-29-2006, 03:15 PM
i recommend you find out the regulations in the area / zone you plan to hunt. also have you had a licence before ? you may need a hunter saftey course. in the southern zone in ny you are only permited to use a shotgun.

luds
12-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Scott, Be Careful out there.

american spirit
12-29-2006, 04:10 PM
i recommend you find out the regulations in the area / zone you plan to hunt. also have you had a licence before ? you may need a hunter saftey course. in the southern zone in ny you are only permited to use a shotgun.

thanks for the advice. per my father in law they hunt with a rifle, and i'm trying to get some contact info for license application. hunter safety course may not be a bad idea. i'll be getting debriefed on the details soon this weekend.

wanna come luds?

luds
12-29-2006, 04:17 PM
would love too but I have too much time into fishing as it is.

keeperreaper
12-29-2006, 04:39 PM
I shoot a .270. Accurate flat and fast. Shoot a bunch of different ones to see which you like. I used to use .348 which used to thump me as hard as it would thump the deer.

maddog2020
12-29-2006, 08:27 PM
I use a Ruger 77 bolt action (LH) with old Redfield 3x9 in 270. I use it in CT on private property - shots are close and deer go down quick.
Scope stays on 3X all the time. ;)

Try some friend's rifles out and see what you like. Reality is anything will work around here since shots aren't really far. I am sure there are some place in NY where you can shoot well over 200+ yds at game.

Scopes - buy the best you can afford. I like Leupold VX-III, but I use some VX-II and a bunch of Weaver variables as well. Waterproof & fogproof is a must. More $$ scopes have coated optics and larger front objectives. 3x9 scope are pretty std on most centerfire for all around use. Cheaper brands like Bushnell and Simmons work fine. Whatever you get make sure the rings & bases are STEEL. Weaver system works fine (alumimum base and half steel ring & bolt). Those cheap aluminum rings can get banged out of position too easily. Those shoot thru aluminum rings that bolt right to rifle stay clear away from IMHO = buddy of mine banged his scope walking to stand and when he shot at a deer that way 150 yds away he missed it twice. :( Later checked the zero and found he was two feet OFF to one side. Got him into some Redfield base & rings and he hasn't had any issues since. Leupold makes great set as well as Burris and there are others, too. Same guy fell out of tree ... he hurt himself and checked zero of rifle later and found it was just like it was before.

Savage rifles shoot accurate out of box and are low $. I don't like the triggers, but they are good shooters. Rem 700 is always good as are many of the other big brands like Winchester, Browning, etc.... use good ammo and any rifle will shoot well. Cheap ammo is an $$ rifle is a waste/joke.... don't skimp on ammo if you are going to be shooting over 250 yds = Federal Premium is good stuff w/ Nosler Partitions.

Hunter Safety Courses - generally free at many local clubs. Most states require you take one. No harm in being refreshed on gun safety. ;)