View Full Version : PlugFest 07 Contest Discussion

JohnR
12-29-2006, 09:34 PM
Would like to get PlugFest 07 Contest Discussion for the Builder Contests:

Categories?

(ie - seperate category for novelty plug)

Annonymous?

Other Suggestions?

thefishingfreak
12-30-2006, 12:37 AM
hot cheerleaders :huh:

Flaptail
12-30-2006, 07:20 AM
hot cheerleaders :huh:

Yeah we could call them the "plug Ho's"

As far as categories it should be: 1. REAL FISHING PLUG
2. CLASSIC
3. NOVELTY

And last but not least they all should SWIM!!!!!!!!!

AND OF COURSE THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF SIMMERING KIELBASA BEANS AND ONIONS TO LIVEN UP THE PLACE. :err: :eek5:

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 07:54 AM
One category
Build whatever you want.
One winner=Bigger prize=More incentive.
Worked out fine b4:humpty:
People want change because they can't win.:rocketem:
Bring down the Champ the right way-One on one.:poke:

numbskull
12-30-2006, 08:33 AM
You might consider an "open category" which could be anything, and a "limited" category in which we all build our own version of a predetermined type of plug. The open category would be entertaining, the limited category a test of skill and very educational. I'd vote to keep the prizes small.

Canalman
12-30-2006, 08:38 AM
3 Catagories? Now I have to build 3 plugs?!? :crying: ;)

I don't really have an opinion, I really just enjoy PlugFest from start to finish. My only question: What the hell are we gonna do with a kitty pool of water in February? We can't leave it outside or we'll have to heat it or put skate blades on the plugs. We can't fill a pool inside the hall... unless.. we siphon the water out after I guess... that might work. I love the idea of making them have to swim though.

Glad I'm not planning it this year :gu:

Tagger
12-30-2006, 08:44 AM

I really don't believe that . I've seen some of the most impressive handcarvings (birds, fish) from people who enter vintage plugs. They go through great pains taking effort to get it right, but the general voter won't realize the effort or likeness to original and the handcarve will win hands down everytime. So if we keep things "as is" eventually it will be just a handcarve contest. We as plugbuilders will loose all that history from builders who enter past relics and all the knowledge that goes along with it . I'd like to see a Vintage table and with the plug a piece of paper that explains what ever history is available . Orig builder,, Years built,, production stopped,, available colors maybe.. old fish story of plug .. I think that would be good for us,, promote conversation,, maybe re think some things we are building now relating to the past . Be educational .. We have some among us who have a vast knowledge of plugs past .. Do we want to loose that ? This is NO way knocking handcarves .. Love them .. Been doing handcarve ,, like being born again ,, can't get enough.. Past entries very memorable by extremly talented , pateint people . Don't want to loose that either. Categorys I see Handcarve,,Vintage,,Modern ... Modern is a table you might see a darter with spinner blades hanging off it everywhere . :humpty: Blade Runner :err:

The Dad Fisherman
12-30-2006, 11:15 AM
I would say keep it simple. I liked the original idea that was getting thrown around earlier 1 Category for an actual Plug that swims and one that is a Novelty.

the More "Qualifications" you attach to it the less people you will have enter it.

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I really don't believe that .

I do.:vamp:

Slipknot
12-30-2006, 12:32 PM
Believe what you want to believe.

Good points so far :)

I think we should go with a simple approach of 2 catagories. You can enter plugs in both if you want to or just choose to enter one or the other. 1. a serious plug made of wood or similar material that can actually swim,cast and be able to and expected to catch fish. Also could be a historically accurate vintage plug copy if you want. 2. a novelty type plug, use you imagination but keep it somewhat reasonable in size atleast. Make it with a motor for all we care or be creative like PNG did last year with the corncob native american indian plug ;)

The whole point of it is to have fun and add more ways to enjoy the sport of fishing that we all love. Competition is just for bragging rights. The prizes should be kept small and simple IMO also.

thefishingfreak
12-30-2006, 12:45 PM
completely remove the "competition".
have a table with stuff your proud of. guess the builder etc.. everybody gets a twinky.

competition means "winners" and "losers"..to put it bluntly.

Tagger
12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
everybody gets a twinky.

and cheer leaders..

BigFish
12-30-2006, 01:04 PM
KISS....keep it simple! The more complicated you get the more complaints you will have!:uhuh:

Canalman
12-30-2006, 01:07 PM
The whole point of it is to have fun and add more ways to enjoy the sport of fishing that we all love. Competition is just for bragging rights. The prizes should be kept small and simple IMO also.

:btu:

JohnR
12-30-2006, 01:09 PM
Believe what you want to believe.

Good points so far :)

I think we should go with a simple approach of 2 catagories. You can enter plugs in both if you want to or just choose to enter one or the other. 1. a serious plug made of wood or similar material that can actually swim,cast and be able to and expected to catch fish. Also could be a historically accurate vintage plug copy if you want. 2. a novelty type plug, use you imagination but keep it somewhat reasonable in size atleast. Make it with a motor for all we care or be creative like PNG did last year with the corncob native american indian plug ;)

Anyone think they can Bronze a Twinkie :bshake: :huh: ?

Tagger
12-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Everyone agrees on the Twinkee part .. We're getting somewhere .

Slipknot
12-30-2006, 02:16 PM
completely remove the "competition".
have a table with stuff your proud of. guess the builder etc.. everybody gets a twinky.

competition means "winners" and "losers"..to put it bluntly.

come on Mike, we're men, it's not T-ball ;). it's a friendly competition anyway.

cheerleaders:huh: someone invite the Hooters girls :D

Who has a kiddie pool to bring anyway? :huh:

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 02:33 PM
:lurk: :lurk: :rotf2:

GattaFish
12-30-2006, 03:21 PM
IMO,,, I am stuck in TX and can't go but.... there are some smart people here,,, I am sure someone can bronze the twinkie,,,,

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I say keep it the same it's always been, worked out fine IMHO. Start swim testing in a kiddie pool, things will get complicated. We'll need to hire judges next..:gf:

Slipknot
12-30-2006, 06:29 PM
If I go I'm entering a stick again this year. Maybe I'll use maple this time. :rotf3:

as long as it has grain :tooth:

Slipknot
12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
How do you guys feel about allowing plugs from out of staters who can't make it here like Jigman?

numbskull
12-30-2006, 07:20 PM
Any chance to see what someone else is building is OK by me.

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 07:58 PM
How do you guys feel about allowing plugs from out of staters who can't make it here like Jigman?

:btu: Yes, for sure:btu:

ProfessorM
12-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Bring down the Champ the right way

4 flat tires plugfest morn:hidin:

Karl F
12-30-2006, 08:29 PM
should I wear waders, so I can stand in the kiddy pool?
was SRO in there last year.. might not be a bad idea :huh:

BTW..Yeah on Jigman, he'd be a shoe-in for long distance award, and best plug.. two twinkies up. :)

How about a Hobbyist division, and a Commercial division? :angel: :lurk:

A newbie division?

OK.. ;)

Seriously tho... don't make a mountain out of a mole hill...

K.I.S.S.

Whomever runs it, do it your way, and let the chips fall, where they may.. anybody don't like it.. sign them up to run it next year, and they can do it their way :D

Canalman
12-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Why does this have to get so complicated :) ? If anything... I think we should dumb it down a bit (although I do like the creative/fishable catagories). No more most likely to catch a cow etc... And enough with this "champ" sh it, :sick:

Why can't it be simple? :huh:

Like this:

2 Catagories... Creative/Off the wall and Fishable Lure

Each entrant can enter 1 plug in each catagory or pick just one.

All Plugs must be made of wood, can be lathe turned, hand carved, lazer engraved, dragged behind a speeding vehicle... whatever you want. :devil2:

If you guys want a swim test than only the fishable plug should have to swim or both?

Voters will pick 3 plugs for each of the 2 catagories, giving 1st place 3 points, 2nd 2 points and 3rd 1 point. All points will be tallied and the winners will have the highest score (obviously)

You guys decide the prizes. And for crissakes, let's not make this another S-B shootout.... this and everything else on this board is supposed to be fun.... I know, I know I'm guilty too :bo:

Oh and let me be the first to call "not bringing the kitty pool" :laughs:

Does that sound easy and fair?
-Dave

Canalman
12-30-2006, 08:35 PM
How about a Hobbyist division, and a Commercial division? :angel: :lurk:

:fishslap: :p

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 08:37 PM
4 flat tires plugfest morn:hidin:

He probably wouldn't even notice..:jester: :bshake: :laugha:

Canalman
12-30-2006, 08:44 PM
He probably wouldn't even notice..:jester: :bshake: :laugha:

Actually... I'd be callin you.... "Dave... uh.. is there an easy fix for 4 flats?" :hidin:

fishaholic18
12-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Actually... I'd be callin you.... "Dave... uh.. is there an easy fix for 4 flats?" :hidin:

Uh, Yeah, take my car..:buds:

Jigman
12-30-2006, 09:19 PM
What, no category for lead :huh: :hihi:

1) two categories: fishable and anything goes.
2) builder can enter as many as one plug in each category
3) all plugs entered are raffled off with proceeds going to support the site
4) in the case of an out of state winner, the twinkies will be given to Freak so he can feel like a winner too :tooth:

Jigman

Canalman
12-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Yea... except I'm kind of a wimp about the raffle thing.... After spending 20 hours on something I'm reluctant to let her go :crying:

-Dave

Tagger
12-30-2006, 11:59 PM
So the prize is Twinkees ... right ?

fishaholic18
12-31-2006, 12:21 AM
So the prize is Twinkees ... right ?

Twinkies?? Nah! Too fattening..:wiggle:

ProfessorM
12-31-2006, 07:39 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Stan Kuzia for about 3 hours today at an annual CC bait shop New Years party. I have known Stan for a long time and I always walk away saying I wish I had a tape recorder with me as I forget so much but he told me he is making a plug to fit a situation and I told him to get it done so he could enter it as I think Tagger is taking him and Carl to the plugfest. I am not sure he will finish in time but that would be cool. We don't see many 80 plus year old plugmakers . P.

Squid kids Dad
12-31-2006, 08:02 PM
Always a good time no matter what

Raider Ronnie
12-31-2006, 08:19 PM
When is this plugfest ???
and can BOATS guy go ???

Tagger
12-31-2006, 08:29 PM
I had the pleasure of talking to Stan Kuzia for about 3 hours today at an annual CC bait shop New Years party. I have known Stan for a long time and I always walk away saying I wish I had a tape recorder with me as I forget so much but he told me he is making a plug to fit a situation and I told him to get it done so he could enter it as I think Tagger is taking him and Carl to the plugfest.

Thats the plan .They really enjoyed it last year . I bet the 2 of them are still fishing . I get dizzy when they talk about fishing . orgasmic .

ProfessorM
12-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Ed they were both their and both are looking forward to it. Stan was a machinist so I always have to try and direct him back to fishing talk as he wants to talk about what I am working on, machinist stuff, and I want to hear about the good old days of fishing.

DZ
01-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Not that any of you plug builders need incentive but I'll offer the winner a guided trip surfcasting my home water in Newport. Least I could do to support this website. Must win the "classic plug" catagory.

DZ

Pete F.
01-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Not that any of you plug builders need incentive but I'll offer the winner a guided trip surfcasting my home water in Newport. Least I could do to support this website. Must win the "classic plug" catagory.

DZ
Incentive
Not to build, but to make the long drive from VT. For some reason I can do it to fish but to look at plugs... A prize like that would make it worth it.
Nice offer

Tagger
01-01-2007, 08:31 AM
whats our definition of classic ? I'm thinking its a plug thats no longer made .. DZ very nice offer ...

Flaptail
01-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I work in Education and this whole discussion reminds me of the one thing I abhor about educators. They form committees to form committees. Let's let this years organizers set the day and we all live with it. Simple I know but it works.:smash:

Tagger
01-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I work in Education and this whole discussion reminds me of the one thing I abhor about educators. They form committees to form committees. Let's let this years organizers set the day and we all live with it. Simple I know but it works.:smash:

Sounds good ,, whatever the commitee decides .. As long as my life size replica seal with trebles built for Great White fishing is allowed .. I' ve got like 500 hrs. invested .

Jigman
01-01-2007, 09:57 AM
.. As long as my life size replica seal with trebles built for Great White fishing is allowed .. I' ve got like 500 hrs. invested .

Better add another 100 hours, you'll need a rod to throw it too :cheers:

Jigman

Backbeach Jake
01-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Sounds good ,, whatever the commitee decides .. As long as my life size replica seal with trebles built for Great White fishing is allowed .. I' ve got like 500 hrs. invested .

Whaaaat!!!!? Well that shoots my plug outa the water. I guess I gotta go to something else now.;) Commitee rule.

Tagger
01-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Whaaaat!!!!? Well that shoots my plug outa the water. I guess I gotta go to something else now.;) Commitee rule.

Just kidding Fred .. I've done nothing .. don't know if I even will .. volunteered to build Stan Gibbs thing . by the way ... your handcarve last year was freakin pissa .. didn't know you did that stuff .

tattoobob
01-01-2007, 08:01 PM
I think there should be tests on Paint Adhesion, Sealing, Tail loops
the whole part of building is being lost, sure a plug can look real nice and all but how good is it if it soaks in water and cracks or all the paint comes off after the first few casts, or even the tail loop opens when you have a fish on/ or is loose and spins while retrieving

Flaptail
01-01-2007, 08:05 PM
the whole part of building is being lost, sure a plug can look real nice and all but how good is it if it soaks in water and cracks or all the paint comes off after the first few casts, or even the tail loop opens when you have a fish on/ or is loose and spins while retrieving

Bob, it's Plugfest not Underwriters Labaratories. I guess we just have to take some things at face value. Anyone that knows plugs knows a good tail loop or can smell the feint trace of sealer. It would get too weird ( not that getting a bit weird isn't a good thing).

Simple rules and good fun is all.

fishaholic18
01-01-2007, 08:29 PM

We should get a live 50#er and really test 'em..:fishslap:

tattoobob
01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Bob, it's Plugfest not Underwriters Labaratories. I guess we just have to take some things at face value. Anyone that knows plugs knows a good tail loop or can smell the feint trace of sealer. It would get too weird ( not that getting a bit weird isn't a good thing).

Simple rules and good fun is all.

I was thinking in the way of the mechanics of the building process

Simple is fine, it is all about getting together anyways

JohnR
01-01-2007, 09:13 PM

You're getting cranky from all of those years working in Education. Something I abhor about educators - most of 'em never worked in the real world :wall: - Anyway :wave:

How's this?

Three Classes:

Best FISHING Plug - Including Classics, Innovative, Serious plug for the art of fishing. Sub category Best Plug, Most Artistic, Best Classic, Most Innovative?

Novice (less than 2 years building?) - Something to welcome some of the newer builders. Sub category Best Plug, Best Paint, Best Classic

Novelty - Anything legal and mostly ethical (that won't make a 14 year old blush).

Similar to last year, anonymous drop off, High Twinkie Factor, (auction is up to you guys, it does help the site but it is not required - entirely up to you all).

Prizes will be light but respectable - figure a gift certificate or two for supplies and DZ had a very generous offer for some NPTSRFCSTN

Ronnie - anyone is welcome, except Raider fans :laugha: :bshake: ....

ProfessorM
01-01-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't think anyone is a fan after this year. Was asked before what about lead, metal stuff. I know lots make jigs and stuff. Just a thought.

thefishingfreak
01-01-2007, 09:20 PM
When is this plugfest ???
and can BOATS guy go ???

i'll go with you, bring the boys too..
was fun last year.

JohnR
01-01-2007, 09:25 PM

You're getting cranky from all of those years working in Education. Something I abhor about educators - most of 'em never worked in the real world :wall: - Anyway :wave:

How's this?

Three Classes:

Best FISHING Plug - Including Classics, Innovative, Serious plug for the art of fishing. Sub category Best Plug, Best Paint, Best Classic, Most Innovative?

Novice (less than 2 years building?) - Something to welcome some of the newer builders. Just Best overall

Novelty - Anything legal and mostly ethical (that won't make a 14 year old blush).

Similar to last year, anonymous drop off, High Twinkie Factor, (auction is up to you guys, it does help the site but it is not required - entirely up to you all).

Prizes will be light but respectable - figure a gift certificate or two for supplies and DZ had a very generous offer for some NPTSRFCSTN

Slipknot
01-01-2007, 10:10 PM
ballot?

I have no idea how to insert this as a post :doh:

Slipknot
01-01-2007, 10:16 PM

DZ

:btu: WOW, that's mighty nice of you Dennis :D Thanks:kewl:

Flaptail
01-01-2007, 11:51 PM

How's this?

Three Classes:

Best FISHING Plug - Including Classics, Innovative, Serious plug for the art of fishing. Sub category Best Plug, Best Paint, Best Classic, Most Innovative?

Novice (less than 2 years building?) - Something to welcome some of the newer builders. Just Best overall

Nail it! And Twinkies now come in Chocolate too. John, you are so right about real world vs. education. Been 16 years now and I am still amazed (read:shocked)

ThrowingTimber
01-02-2007, 01:43 PM
I've stayed out of this. 2 categories, lure you would fish, a work horse and an OMFG category:shocked:

And the twikies are mine so hands off!!:devil: :devil:

Canalman
01-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Bruce,

That ballot looks good... I think that makes sense.

-Dave

Tatbob-- Have you REALLY had a tail loop open up??? That's either a HUGE fish or a REALLY bad wrap.
:eyes: