View Full Version : Frozen Tuna, Foodsaver

beamie
12-30-2006, 09:18 PM
I'd like to know how long you guys have successfully frozen BFT with the foodsaver and had it taste good.

I know in the past I have frozen some and had it within a few weeks and it was fine. But I unfroze some BFT last week from late Sept and it was a no go.:yak4:

Tonite had some haddock from Sept and it was very good, not outstanding but vg.

So I am assuming that tuna is a fish that doesn't freeze well even with a foodsaver for prolonged 3-4 months? Or maybe my seal job failed?

Let me know what you guys have had suucess with.

fishsmith
12-30-2006, 09:35 PM
I've got a hunk in my freezer from sept to, and I used freezer paper, so I'll be marinating my steaks in something.
At least I know my back up meal dug up today will be fresh. I like being able to go clamming in late december.

Raven
12-31-2006, 06:40 AM
write to foodsaver and ask if certain fish require different methods

Van
12-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Now that you mentioned it,
I just had the second to last package last night. Caught in Sept.
It was only frozen in a zip lock bag and the edges did get some freezer burn. Other than that, it tasted just fine.
But it did not taste like it did right off the back of the fish after filleting !!! YUM....

The last package prolly won't get eaten until next month, but I think it should be fine. Don't know why yours went bad?? Was in on the bottom of the freezer??

Buddy of mine has one of those vacuum sealer machines. I have no information on how it works to preserve longer. I was also thinking of getting one, but how much more crap do i need????

fishsmith
12-31-2006, 06:33 PM
:yak4: the tuna dated 9/1 in my freezer should of went to the bait freezer, it was pretty nasty, looked great coming off the grill, but the flavor was gone.
Thankfully the steamers were :drool: mmmmmm good.

5/0
01-01-2007, 01:49 AM
Funny you mention that,I just thawed some today(vacuumed sealed)& Im going to grill it tommorow.I'll let you know the results:rollem:

5/0

scoobe
01-01-2007, 02:37 AM
Never had a food saver... but the idea behind them is that you eliminate the air. Air = freezer burn. Freezer burn happens when ice turns to gas before first turning into a liquid. This process is called sublimination. Weird, eh? The one guaranteed way to prevent this is to freeze your fish in a block of ice. Plastic tupperwear type containers work well for this. I know of one guy who uses old milk cartons as well. Just don't use anything metal!

thefishingfreak
01-01-2007, 07:50 AM
fish i know i won't eat for a while i put in the bait freezer in the basement. someone told me a while ago home fiidge/freezers that are frost free, de-thaw every so often to keep the frost down.
the deep freeze seems to keep the meat better.
i use zip locks. just fill up the sink with water and submerge the bag almost to the top, till all the air is gone.

basswipe
01-01-2007, 08:31 AM
I've had Mako that was frozen with a foodsaver that had been in the freezer close to six months and it was delicious.

PNG
01-01-2007, 09:23 AM
In a properly sealed foodsaver bag I have had bass and even lobster 2 yrs later.

The lobo was a double dog dare, tasted like the day it was cooked.

Roger
01-01-2007, 09:41 AM
Never had a food saver... but the idea behind them is that you eliminate the air. Air = freezer burn. Freezer burn happens when ice turns to gas before first turning into a liquid. This process is called sublimination. Weird, eh? The one guaranteed way to prevent this is to freeze your fish in a block of ice. Plastic tupperwear type containers work well for this. I know of one guy who uses old milk cartons as well. Just don't use anything metal!

That's what I've done for years. The problem with tuna is that it does not do well soaked in water - reacts kinda like a steak would.

scoobe
01-01-2007, 11:29 AM
I've had the mushy flesh problem too. It seems to help a little if you let it thaw out in a way that the melting ice can drip away so that the meat is not sitting in a pool of water.