View Full Version : Block Island lodging

Jamie M
09-08-2000, 11:58 AM
My girlfriend has a professional exam in early November, so she just told me that I need to leave her alone during weekends in October so she can study. Boy, I hate it when my calendar frees up in October.

I'd like to spend a weekend on Block (this will be my first time). I got TONS of information on where to fish that #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& graciously posted a year ago, but I'm wondering about lodging. If I'm out there fishing, I don't want to spend $300 a night in some Victorian bed & breakfast with fancy antiques all over the place. Just a room with a sink and a shower. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, can you give me any advice on how to transport my eels and keep them alive for a couple of days? Or can I just buy them out there?

chris L
09-08-2000, 12:25 PM
I cant help you with accomidations but I keep my eels in a 5 gal bucket system you need 1 bucketto catch water a second somewhat shorter than the first for the eels with holes drilled in the bottom for water to go thru into the 1st bucket and a 3rd to hold ice with holes in the bottom . the ice melts and drips ontoo the eels and the extra water drains so as not to drown the eels and it also washes the eel slime out . You can add sea weed to the eel bucket helps keep them moist . or you can put the ice into the eel bucket suspended just above the eels with a small bucket . The ice slows there motabalism and it wont hurt them ive kept eels for quite a while with none dying off . Any variation of this could work as long as you keep them moist and out of the water and slime they will not drown . I the transfer a dozen or so into mesh bags which I carry to the beach to use the kind of mesh bags every wife or mother have for delicate washables . They are sold at all department stores . I bought my wife new ones for a couple dollars and used her old ones . Works great for me so far . I also have a lid with a sealable door cut into it . Drywall buckets work pretty good just clean them out real good .

Steve K
09-08-2000, 01:04 PM
You can try Twin Maples. They have efficiencies that I think are fairly resonable especially that time of year. I am lucky, my girlfriend's mom has a house there.

Good Luck

JohnR
09-08-2000, 01:14 PM
I was about to put up the same thing about Twin Maples... In addition to a bunch of efficiency rooms, there's the Island's bait and tackle... You would be well served to bring you eels over with you because if the Island's empty, your screwed. Chris L's 3 ice bucket system is good for short-term eel maintenace. I use a two bucket system for normal transport with the eels in the smaller bucket on ice with the water dripping into the big bucket... I use those common, cheap plastic bait buckets and drill a bunch of holes in them alternating between close to the center and far. In the past I was just punching the holes with a knife but the flashing left over would gouge the eels and the eel juice would eventualy clog the drain holes... Recommend using a drill and making sure there is no plastic remaining in the holes...

chris L
09-11-2000, 02:24 PM
I also use the 2 bucket system the 1st or the bottom bucket collects the melted ice and eel slime the 2nd or upper bucket has the eels in it with a bag of ice on top of the eels . I just had eels stored for 4 days and they were still very much alive when i rinsed them this morning . The trick is like John R said make sure when you drill the holes clean out any plastic or it will clog or the eels may get injured and die prematurely . Keep ice on them and rinse them down with water , I do it every time I add the ice maybe every 10 to 12 hours . I have kept up to 2 dozen eels for a week . You may have a couple die off , its been a great system for me . Also empty the bottom bucket of water before it rises into the upper bucket . Ive never tried more than 2 dozen . Good luck . I would head Johns advice no matter how you store them bring them with you if the Island runs out you will have to change you bait type or use lures the rest of the time . The ice will freeze the eels but they will revive after a few miutes in the water if not immediately . This is only my opinion
others may have other ways but I fish alone and live out of my vehicle so I keep it easy and cheap and this works for me . Let me know if there are other meens to keep eels and I'll give them a try im always open for new ways to save money and keep my bait alive .

Canalratt1
09-12-2000, 07:32 AM
One way I keep my eels alive at the house is in a bucket of water with an aerator running in it. I use this till I go then switch to the two bucket system. I usually buy my eels a day or two before so I don't know how long they will last but its the way baitshops keep them alive. Its in a cool place and make sure you have a lid or you will find eels on the floor!