View Full Version : drill press lathe

Pete F.
01-01-2007, 03:18 PM
This is what I use to turn. Took some time to find something that would work for a live center, but that problem is solved now.

Pete F.
01-01-2007, 03:25 PM
Finally got a camera this year, well we got the kids one.
The live center is made of parts from the local hardware store.
A 3/4" steel axle
A bronze bearing to match
A brass washer
A fender washer
A locking nut
You would need to grind a point on the end of the axle, I did it by spinning it against a belt sander.
On the drive end I use a cut off speedbore bit that I "unsharpened"
a pipe flange and a piece of pipe with a brace clamped to the drill press.
It's worked for the past couple of years

ProfessorM
01-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Classic ingenuity

Charleston
01-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Very good upfront thinking :cheers:

numbskull
01-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Where there is a will, there is a way. And your will is admirable to say the least. Not many people can build plugs with only a drill press!

thefishingfreak
01-01-2007, 07:16 PM
love it.

Karl F
01-01-2007, 07:49 PM
:claps:

gotta love yankee ingenuity :kewl:

Pete F.
01-02-2007, 10:56 AM
Where there is a will, there is a way. And your will is admirable to say the least. Not many people can build plugs with only a drill press!

I have a few more tools than that, I used to run a cabinet shop as part of my construction business.
But I never needed a lathe and Plugs are only a foot max for the most part.

ProfessorM
01-02-2007, 11:19 AM
You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we do at work with machines that weren't designed to do that. Kills me some of the work my boss takes in sometimes and expects us to do with no tools. But we make the tools and get it done somehow. Those are actually the fun jobs. Great foresight on the machine. If you ever need a part feel free too ask. P.

Charleston
01-02-2007, 12:14 PM
You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we do at work with machines that weren't designed to do that. Kills me some of the work my boss takes in sometimes and expects us to do with no tools. But we make the tools and get it done somehow. Those are actually the fun jobs. Great foresight on the machine. If you ever need a part feel free too ask. P.

This is why you are a machinist! Far too many guys run a CNC or cut stock for a living and call themselves machinists. Great job Paul :musc:
Never say "That can't be done"!

Pete F.
01-02-2007, 06:07 PM
This is why you are a machinist! Far too many guys run a CNC or cut stock for a living and call themselves machinists. Great job Paul :musc:
Never say "That can't be done"!

Like any trade there are machine operators and mechanics, it used to be when someone said that guy is a good "Insert craft here" it meant that they could do almost anything and with hand tools. I know from spending the last 35 years in construction that having the latest gadget does not a carpenter make. Other trades are not much different. Ya need to be smarter than your tools.

numbskull
01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Ya need to be smarter than your tools.

Shiiit! Anyone know where I can buy dumber tools?

gone fishin
01-03-2007, 12:48 AM
Awesome thinking - turn thrudrill all on one setup. Good thinking.:D

ProfessorM
01-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Far too many guys run a CNC or cut stock for a living and call themselves machinists.

It s getting to the point now that you don't have to know anything and you can run the CNC's. The computers and software that run these things are truley unbelievable. They do all the thinking for you. It is the future for sure. :rtfm: You will be able to run the whole shop with 1 real machinist. We just got a new 4 axis CNC a few weeks ago and I was watching it work. So fast make your head spin. I felt like a real dinosaur.

eastendlu
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Paul all i do now is program all these fancy machines.The cutting routines are getting better but in the end you still need someone that knows machining.A tool is only as good as the person useing it.Very few old time machinist left i'm now an oldtimer cause i can still operate manual machines the new guys are called operators because all they do is press the green button to make it go.

Backbeach Jake
01-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Shiiit! Anyone know where I can buy dumber tools?

Yeah, me too.:uhuh: Great work there McGuiver!

ProfessorM
01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
You are right Lu that is why I said you need one machinist, who can keep the guys going. A real machinist that can do all the CNC stuff as well as the all around stuff is a real good commodity for a company, getting hard to find. We have maybe 20 employees and I would say only 4 real machinist's and one left last week for greener pastures. I would say there is a slim to none chance of replacing his experience. Just no one out there, especially on the Cape. Sorry for the hijack. P.