View Full Version : Tips

BassNuts
01-01-2007, 07:56 PM
My turn to *itch!!! What is it with these tip jars taht have been showing up all over the place? ...like at Dunkin Donuts?? There's a tip jar on the counter that says "Tips for exceptional service".:lossinit: What exceptional service?? Is it that damn difficult to pour a cup of coffee, which they can't get right half the time anyway. I like mine light with no sugar which somehow translates into regular with tons of sugar (I'm a diabetic). Is anyone else getting tired of this or is it just me??

vanstaal
01-02-2007, 05:49 AM
decaf !!

spence
01-02-2007, 08:15 AM
I don't have a problem at smaller establishments, but a mega-chain like DD shouldn't put them out unless it's corporate policy.

-spence

fishaholic18
01-02-2007, 08:18 AM
Tip??!!!
I short change them every chance I get...:lossinit:

BigBo
01-02-2007, 08:43 AM
I love the look on their faces when you go through the drive-up window. They give you your coffee and then take their sweet time making your change, expecting you'll drive off allowing them to keep the change for a tip. When they turn around and you're still sitting there with your hand out waiting for your change, they look at you like you just kicked their dog or something.
All you did was pour a cup of coffee! There is nothing exceptional about that service!:rude: :spin:

kevin d
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't tip for coffee unless I am sitting in an establishment and a member of the waitstaff actually waits on me.
Have you heard the Bud Light commercial about coffee shop employees?
"What do you do with a degree in Art History? You get a nose ring and pour coffee." :)

Swimmer
01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I stopped tipping at DD's. If someone doesn't pour my coffee at a table, nada senorita. I have a real problem with them getting it right. I mean how freikin hard is it to make a cup of medium black hazelnut, and then I help out by saying no sugar to give them a hint.

tynan19
01-02-2007, 12:23 PM
Half the time they don't understand you and make their best guess. My favorite line is "May I help the next". Always a surprise how it will taste.

Jenn
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Tipping an actuall waitress or waiter is one thing because while they make minimum wage its a usually a different minimum wage for tipped employees which a lot of people dont realize(last I knew about three dollars an hour) but the people serving you at dunkies are making the higher minimum wage. Also I do know from past personal experience that certain chain restaurants have a policy against tips jars at the counters but that employees will often put them out "when the boss aint looking".

BassNuts
01-03-2007, 08:43 PM
The ones I've seen at DD are actual large ceramic mugs with printing on them...doesn't look like they're employee created...they're the same at every DD

hunan
01-03-2007, 08:57 PM
.....and why do waitstaff make such little loot? who came up with that idea. forget tipping altogether and pay people a decent pay. sounds easy enough.:huh:

teaser
01-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I live in Ma and have 5 Dunkin D's all within 1 1/2 miles from me and they all have tip containers, some are jars but most are bowls with a note with "tips" written on it.

I do alot of work in Bristol, RI and every one of the D&D's out there I stop at all have a strict policy ... NO tipping, and the girls all say "if you leave me a tip I can get FIRED!"

I think the ones that do allow tipping are independently owned and not part of the franchise, but the guys who own the franchises should stop the indy's because it's going to ruin their name, as if it weren't already by the service you get from them.

The Dad Fisherman
01-04-2007, 08:27 AM
.....and why do waitstaff make such little loot? who came up with that idea. forget tipping altogether and pay people a decent pay. sounds easy enough.:huh:

Its more of a driving force to make sure the Service is good. If you paid all Waiters/waitresses a higher wage why should they go above and beyond if their check is always the same at the end of the week.

This way you actually get to pay the waitstaff what you think she is worth. you start with the "Recomended" 15%. If they're lousy they gets 10%, 5%, or Nothing at All as a tip. If they are great you can give them 20%, 25%, or more. Its all up to you

They also are supposed to split some of their tips with the Busboys and the Bartender too, so they will try and give you good service so that their percentage stays up.

I wish this concept was used in other jobs as well....

bloocrab
01-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't mind leaving them short change if they double my cup on an ice coffee (keeps the sweat off ya) or do something else nice, maybe shake the coffee before they give it to me to help dissolve the sugar....little things like that are appreciated (by me anyways, as I spend ALOT of time behind the wheel)....but inside? Where they treat you like cattle?....NAH.....They don't even say "Thank You" anymore.....just, "Who's Next?"
What happened to customer service?

Not to change the subject but, why can't DD's be consistant with their coffee? I mean it all comes from the same manufacturer, and I'd imagine they have specs to go by when preparing it. Some places just SuK ......a little shot of Baileys would help, I'd tip a little more if that found it's way into my cup :gu:

Mike P
01-04-2007, 11:37 AM

That would make dining out about as enjoyable as a trip to the Registry of Motor Vehicles ;)

Redsoxticket
01-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Do you notice that when you pay them that they leave the coffee on their side of the counter.
But the tip jar is a close as possible to your side.

I say, "well, you going to give me the coffee or what"

missing link
01-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I got a TIP 4 YASPEAK F'n ENGLISH evev though the Brazilan 's R hot

missing link
01-05-2007, 08:51 PM
its FRIDAY