View Full Version : Got the lathe,safety goggles & some wood...Whats next?

srfrat
01-02-2007, 07:57 PM
What other tools are a must have?Chissels ,Drill & bits.etc.Without going nuts.I've been playing for some time with kits & some old blanks.Now its time to get the ball rolling.

What tools you use the most
What brands would you recomend,I don't like cheapos.
Thanxs for the help.

Jigman
01-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Chisels: Robert Sorby, 1 inch skew and 3/4 inch gouge are what I use.

Drill bits: fostner bits for eye/weight/swivel holes. Brad point for thru-drilling.

If you are looking at other tools, it will depend some on what plugs you are building. Table saw for ripping lumber. Bandsaw for lip slots and darter angles. Belt sander for pikie face, surfster angle, and various other stuff.

Also pick up a face shield and decent respirator/dust mask.

Jigman

Slipknot
01-02-2007, 10:03 PM
what jiggy said

I like Delta tools but beware it's all being made in china now like Jet and all the others. Research and read reviews before buying.

Get a good drill press not some junk Ryobi trash.

sharp chisels may require a good quality sharpening grinding wheel, if you get a grinder , be sure to use the white stones as they don't heat up the metal as the regular do.

numbskull
01-02-2007, 10:15 PM
If you know what you are doing you just need three turning tools, a 3/4" roughing gouge, a 1-1 1/2" skew, and a parting tool. Buy HSS, Sorby is worth the premium price. If you are not used to turning, the skew will be a nightmare (though with a good spindle turning video you can learn quickly) and you might want to start with a square and round nose scraper, or a hybrid tool called a spindle gouge which is very easy to use and will work like a skew without catching (but leaving a slightly ribbed finish which you can sand off). You also want to buy a good paddle, because you will be up the creek without one once your wife realizes what you are spending on your new hobby.

Motor Fish
01-03-2007, 11:21 PM
One of my best investments was a chuck for the lathe. Makes thru drilling easy.

I could only find em on Ebay.

srfrat
01-04-2007, 07:11 AM
All good stuff,thanxs for the recomendations.3/4 Gouge & 1" skew & video are on there way:jump:
The rest I have covered.
I think a dust collection system is the next big buy.

You also want to buy a good paddle, because you will be up the creek without one once your wife realizes what you are spending on your new hobby.

Pheeeeew,saved me some bucs there.
I guess I'm lucky,no need for the paddle.She's cool with everything I do.I trained her right:D

:thanks: