View Full Version : Travel Rod and Reel Advice

WoodyCT
01-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I am planning a trip to the Mayan Riviera in Mexico for late June or early July. Ascension Bay here I come! Can anyone recommend an affordable quality travel rod and reel for flats fishing? I'm thinking 8wt. that I can also use for stripers. Also need advice on hot weather lines. Thanks.

Spanish Fly
01-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Woody, will you be fishing for Bones ar Permit?

WoodyCT
01-04-2007, 08:06 PM
I'll be fishing for whatever pops up! I have never had the opportunity to take such a trip and will be open to anything that swims into casting range. I'm thinking an 8wt. is probably best for the somewhat small bones in that region. Would it be too light for a permit, snook or tarpon? If so, maybe a 9 wt. is a better all around set up?

Spanish Fly
01-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Woody I would check with the guides b4 your trip, I have never fished there but I have fished all up and down the Keys and usually for bones I bring 2 4 piece rods a 6wt and an 9wt. the 6 will do you untill wind shows up then you will need a heavier set up but those 2 should cover most situations on the flats for "smaller" fish.
Tight Lines

thunnus69
01-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Woody,
I would look at a 4pc set up in an 8wt if I had to bring only one rod. Orvis and LL Bean make 7 and 9 piece travel rods but I don't think they throw a line as well as a 4 or 2 piece. For the money I'd go with a TFO TCRI 9ft 4 pc 8wt. Make sure you get tropical line and not cold weather "striper" line. My Orvis Wonderline "Striper" got limpy and sticky in Costa Rica one year. It was like freshed cooked speghetti. Also check with someone in Mexico as to what type line to bring i.e. floating, intermediate and quick sink. Good Luck.
-Joe

Where in CT are you from?

BillyBlanks
03-19-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a 4 peice 9wt GLoomis GL3 that I've caught striper, blues, snook, barracuda and a bunch of other stuff on. Its a great rod.

Joe....where u from in CT? I'm origionally from Stamford but I'm up in Boston now.