View Full Version : e bay beachmaster danny bid @ $91

cow tamer
01-07-2007, 05:16 PM
There's a beachmaster yellow/white danny that is presently bid at $91.99.
2 hrs left on the bidding.

UserRemoved1
01-07-2007, 05:20 PM
file that one with the $86 needle the other day

ChiefLinesider
01-07-2007, 05:22 PM
whos the moron thats bidding on that.

3oz darter $51! Insanity

cow tamer
01-07-2007, 05:28 PM
whos the moron thats bidding on that.

3oz darter $51! Insanity

The same current high bidder for a darter @ $51 and a cowboy @ $46.

pops
01-07-2007, 05:34 PM
hes nuts :jester:

BassDawg
01-07-2007, 05:41 PM
What a mamma luke!

Hasn't this guy ever heard of Tattoo's. Great web site, Mike!!
Spent almost 3 hours there the first time I viewed it. Stellar!

Must be some rich-ass collector with nuttin better to do wit his dough, as no self-respectin' surfcaster with even only an inkling of that "good old yankee resolve" would blow that many clams for a plug, I don't care if it were the last one on earth!!!

Just don't make no cent$!

ChiefLinesider
01-07-2007, 05:51 PM
The same current high bidder for a darter @ $51 and a cowboy @ $46.

check out tautog101's buying history. Hes spent over 400 on plugs in that last couple weeks. If you know him, have him contact me to be my friend, I could use a few more plugs.

luds
01-07-2007, 05:54 PM
hey, that's the best color.:bl:

but how will he feel when he can buy them for 20 a pop within the next year?

striperondafly
01-07-2007, 06:02 PM
check out tautog101's buying history. Hes spent over 400 on plugs in that last couple weeks. If you know him, have him contact me to be my friend, I could use a few more plugs.

lmao - I was gonna guess it was him - he's outbid me many times

I'll second what basstracker said - Tattoo's!

pops
01-07-2007, 06:12 PM
r,m,smith $21 +shipping

striperondafly
01-07-2007, 06:16 PM
yep RM Smiths rule

http://brianmullaney.com/fishing/albums/rmsmith/rmsmithmullaneysDannycollection11242006bbbb.jpg

luds
01-07-2007, 06:58 PM

he beat me out for a yellow bm danny months ago. also for some old rebel windcheaters.

luds
01-07-2007, 07:00 PM
yep RM Smiths rule

http://brianmullaney.com/fishing/albums/rmsmith/rmsmithmullaneysDannycollection11242006bbbb.jpg

I'm definately jealous of the chartreuese scale and the yellow scale.:drool:

capesams
01-07-2007, 07:56 PM
What would you pay for a 2oz.-3oz. bm[beachmaster] needle? and 2oz. bm atom..just wondering what you think would be a fair price [not] e-bay prices.

shadow
01-07-2007, 08:20 PM
$18-$20 thats it nothing more.What sucks is the guys reselling these plugs are making more then the guy building them.this e-bay s%$# will only help drive the plug prices up which imo has already happened some what.

capesams
01-07-2007, 08:34 PM
well! I'm to understand that bm wholesale price now is like 15-17.00..so the shop's need to make something...

shadow
01-07-2007, 08:45 PM
like I said prices are going up is it becuase of e-bay or just infaltion?maybe alittle of both?I have dannys that were 18$ and a-40s that were $20 I guess those days are gone.

tattoobob
01-07-2007, 09:13 PM
well! I'm to understand that bm wholesale price now is like 15-17.00..so the shop's need to make something...

His Atom 40's are going for 20 bucks I bought a couple of them last
summer at a tackle shop

westhavendave
01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28050&stc=1&d=1167452596

Ryan makes a hell of a Danny.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=28050&stc=1&d=1167452596

capesams
01-07-2007, 09:19 PM
OK...and if the shops around you didn't carry any bm's at all...would you go abit higher to have one/some that you'd like without having to spend all your lunch money.

tattoobob
01-07-2007, 10:07 PM
I just paid 27 for a BM BI Style needlefish, and that is about as high as I want to go.
I bought it for a prototype to copy and make some of my own.
I have paid 35 for 2 Hab-A-Tats but will never spend that much again, It is just to much for something to catch a fish with.

capesams
01-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Txs..I saw that...didn't think that was so bad.

NIGHT STRIKES
01-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I think alot of it has to do with "Supply" & "Demand"

Take a look at the recent Musso's & Pichney's ,they are going for well over $100. these days,mostly because they are no-longer made but these HighBidders are pushing it way up then what they really should be priced at..
The lack of inventory and places to purchase a BeachMaster is driving that price up along with the same Ebay Bidders with deep pockets..

In regards to CapeSams question would you go higher to get one of these plugs if you didn't have direct access to them - YES.
I'm quilty of it and have been lucky enough to grab a few last year,but man it's getting crazy now....

Joe
01-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Yes - supply and demand.

If you do a Google search for Beachmasters - you'll find vendors, but not vendors with inventory. From a consumer's perspective there might as well not be any vendors if none have stock.

So right now, if you want a Beachmaster, you have not choice but to go to Ebay. It's stupid expensive, but it's the only source.

striperondafly
01-08-2007, 08:27 AM
What would you pay for a 2oz.-3oz. bm[beachmaster] needle? and 2oz. bm atom..just wondering what you think would be a fair price [not] e-bay prices.

bm needle - 25 bucks - BM atom 30 bucks

When I saw what people where paying for em I dumped them all except one of each model to hang on the wall.

I only fish RM Smith, Tattoo, Big Don and Habs. That covers everything I need.

SBASS1
01-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Geez I got my Cowboys when they were $14.50.....

shadow
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
bobby makes a nice plug but he's not the only one.no way will I buy one on e-bay.I'll fish something else and when he makes more of what I like then I'll stock up at a fair price.

Joe
01-08-2007, 08:43 AM
As the price goes up, the number of people that will accept a substitute increases.
A portion of the potential customers of the first-choice product will not go back - the rise of competitors who can meet demand becomes more likely.

fishpoopoo
01-08-2007, 08:47 AM
i can see a person paying $100 for a plug - if it's a hard-to-obtain item that is going to be cut up and cloned. to somebody buildling their own, a beachmaster metal lipped plug is a wise investment.

now, if you're going to spend $100 bucks and fish the thing, that is farkin stoopid, unless you happen to be bill gates or warren buffet.

likwid
01-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I'm gonna sell on ebay a video of a BM going through a wood chipper.

Or I'll just post it here. :hihi:

Swimmer
01-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Striperonthefly, you cant do that, post that pic that is. Now I gotta go get the screen cleaner to help get the drool off.:humpty: Great looking plugs.

Pete_G
01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
bobby makes a nice plug but he's not the only one.no way will I buy one on e-bay.I'll fish something else and when he makes more of what I like then I'll stock up at a fair price.

That's the way to do it. Most styles will come around again, with time.

I'm amazed people part so easily with some plugs. A 3 oz. Beachmaster Musso wad might as well be irreplaceable. Obviously the seller never took it fishing. Even at $50 or so it's far more valuable to me ready to fish then cashed out on eBay...

cow tamer
01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
You'ld think for that kind of money that the seller would at least throw in a couple of hooks.

capesams
01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
What I find interesting is those that don't build plugs want them cheap..those that do know what the cost is and the time it takes to make just one...if you added the tools-time-material together..each one should start at 30.00-50.00 and go up from there.So in the eyes of a builder...$30.00 ain't much lettice.

fishpoopoo
01-08-2007, 01:02 PM
What I find interesting is those that don't build plugs want them cheap..those that do know what the cost is and the time it takes to make just one...if you added the tools-time-material together..each one should start at 30.00-50.00 and go up from there.So in the eyes of a builder...$30.00 ain't much lettice.

pfffft. not so with plugs made in china. :bc:

The Dad Fisherman
01-08-2007, 01:04 PM
You'ld think for that kind of money that the seller would at least throw in a couple of hooks.

Believe it or not if they throw hooks on it they can't list it as new. Beachmasters, new, don't come with hooks.

Krispy
01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Aha, the ol' woe is plugbuilder ;)
Comeon CS, thats not even close to realistic. Even if each part cost a buck, your still making $10 per plug. 8-10 plugs per hour, thats some decent $ right there.

capesams
01-08-2007, 01:31 PM
If your mass producing..fine as kind....basement builder..I think not.If Bobby was a full blown space building set up and made all his styles year round and pumped out hundereds per month....yes ..they'd be down to 13-16.00 and be in every shop in every state....but I don't consider a two car garage and one or two styles a year mass producing.

I often think if there was GOOD money in building,,many of the gone by builders would still be still around produceing today...plug's wood be cheap.Most cranking them out today have other money jobs or a good bank account behind them.

Slipknot
01-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Aha, the ol' woe is plugbuilder ;)
Comeon CS, thats not even close to realistic. Even if each part cost a buck, your still making $10 per plug. 8-10 plugs per hour, thats some decent $ right there.

:huh: I guess I'm in the wrong business :rollem:
who in this world can actually make 8 plugs in under and hour? 7-1/2 min. per plug for one man is a bit of a stretch to cover all and I mean all of the steps involved. :hs:

NIGHT STRIKES
01-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Personally I can't thank today's custom plug builders enough for what they do and what they are able to put out on the market these days quality wise....

I am slowly building up a very nice aresnal of these plugs that I hope will give me great success and maybe even into the future with my son using them...

Keep Up The Great Work Guys,, Thanks,,,,,,,,

Krispy
01-08-2007, 01:51 PM
I often think if there was GOOD money in building,,many of the gone by builders would still be still around produceing today...plug's wood be cheap.Most cranking them out today have other money jobs or a good bank account behind them.
The olds guys werent getting $16-20 wholesale, if they were theyd still be around.
Slip, 1000 of the same plug in batches of 50-60+, you could easily complete those steps in under 10min. You know each plug doesnt go through the whole process at one time, its done in steps.
If I had a week of 8hr days, I could turn 1000 plugs, a week to drill, a week to paint, a week to finish. Or whatever, I dont know exactly how long, but you understand what Im conveying

Krispy
01-08-2007, 01:57 PM
You'd think with all these new builders out there that people would have everything they want, but no ones made anything of genuine value during this wood plug rebirth, except for the BM SS needle.
How many Danny swimmers before ya choke the market w/ pretty paint jobs?

Slipknot
01-08-2007, 01:58 PM
Oh ya, I know what you mean and I do know it has to be production work, but I think the quality and consistency of those BM plugs and the steps he takes will not come close to 10 plugs per hour, maybe half that at best. I realize there is money to be made for a large scale operation. As costs rise, retail goes up too. same with supply and demand.

shadow
01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
It's not that I want my plugs to be cheep just fair.standerd price has always been $17-$22 that is a fair price.Now we are seeing plugs go for $25-$35 why, becuase of e-bay or anther reason?some of it is limited runs makes the plug rarer and people will pay more,hey to each there own I guess just not me.eels $1.75 catch more bass then any plug.:bl2:

JFigliuolo
01-08-2007, 02:06 PM

I roll my own... Ain't NO WAY I'm laying out over $25 for something to toss in the ocean...

Hand building does take time though, you are correct about that.

BigFish
01-08-2007, 02:12 PM
1. Cut stock to length
2. Thru drill
3. Turn
4. Sand
5. Drill belly weight hole
6. Drill belly swivel hole (If 2 add one more step)
7. Drill 1 eye
8. Drill other eye
9. Drill tail weight hole
10. Cut excess stock off front end of plug
11. Cut excess stock off of tail end
12. Insert belly weight
13. Fill belly weight hole
14. Sand belly weight hole flush
15. Drill nose grommet hole wider to accomodate nose grommet
16. Seal
17. Prime
18. Sand
19. Paint
20. Add eyes
21. Clear coat
22. Add belly grommet (If 2 belly grommets add another step)
23. Add nose grommet
24. Insert wire
25. Add swivel as wire passes through plug (If 2 swivels add another step)
26. Add tail weight
27. Add tail grommet
28. Bend and loop tail wire
29. Put split ring on belly swivel (If 2 belly swivels add another step)
30. Add hook to belly split ring (If 2 belly swivels add another step for 2nd hook)
31. Put split ring on tail loop
32. Put hook on tail split ring

This is a basic case scenario building a basic plug......there are many other steps given the particular plug one is building but there is an incredible amount of time involved, as Capesams states, in building a plug. If you are doing say 100 of the same plug, sure you do each step 100 times each step all at one time, one step at a time but its still alot of time be it 1 plug or 500 plugs. I estimate there are a minimum of 40 steps to each plug I make and there are a few more steps I do in regards to sanding eyes if I need to round them down smooth....I admit to being a fanatic. Slice it up any way you want......they take a boat load of time to make if made correctly.;)

NIGHT STRIKES
01-08-2007, 02:22 PM
hey to each there own I guess just not me.eels $1.75 catch more bass then any plug.:bl2:

Shadow,
I hear ya,, I caught my largest to date on a live one..

But what happens when maybe eels are no longer for sale or
even available for anything close to that buck/75 based on the current stocks and restrictions on harvest baits in area's (horseshoe crabs) here in NJ...

A 11" BM Giant Jointed Pike would be a nice thing to have ;)

UserRemoved1
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I'll probably get throgged somehow for saying this but wth. I've done over 800 popper bodies ready to seal in a day sunup to sundown. Metal lipped swimmers upwards of 500/day. But I've VERY highly refined how every lure I make is done. Figure it out that's probably around 70 or 80 finished bodies an hour. I don't know of too many guys who have done what I have with this stuff/machinery though.

Chris brings up a good point "How many Danny swimmers before ya choke the market w/ pretty paint jobs?"

The market will bear what it bears...it's in a glut right now and it's survival of the fittest. If your stuff works and works out of the package at a decent price you'll survive. If not then you may as well %$%$%$%$can it right now.

And CS does make a good point too, try running rent, insurance, maint on equipment, and add a $500/month heating bill right now. It costs in excess of of $2500 a month to keep my shop open every month wether I sell a lure or not. Something to factor in to what the "perceived cost" is for a plug.

Not to crap on anyones parade cuz I know BM is not making beans for what he does but there are a number of builders out there that limit purposely how many plugs they sell for various reasons....

All I can say is the day I see someone trying to profit like this on one of my lures is the day I would throw every one in the fire and close the doors.

Swimmer
01-08-2007, 02:36 PM
to all the guys at least who started in the cellar, some still are, and ended up in space buildings. Scott, Hab, Don, Larry, Mac, to mention a few, and all the rest that are making/keeping alive some styles of plugs, made in wood, that otherwise go the way many things have. I understand capesams reasoning about a building willing to pay $30 to 50 for a wood plug. If I had I would too. I have a few plugs that I think are so nice I am having great difficulty using them. I think the current average $15.00 to $25.00 to be very reasonable. If I dont have the money it kills me to wait but I'd rather wait and buy the quality than buy overseas stuff.

luds
01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
my avatar is worth $637:usd:

BigFish
01-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I like working out of my rent free garage....and I know one thing for certain....ain't gonna get rich making plugs! I enjoy it and I like that other people enjoy fishing them! Gawd bless you Salty!:)

jimmy z
01-08-2007, 04:48 PM
This buyer has been outbidding folks on lures for a while now. I know that name.:yak5:

capesams
01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
my avatar is worth $637:usd:

yes..and what a delight to the eye she is...blow that sucker up will you..I need a closer look...can't own any, but shore can look for free:drool:

numbskull
01-08-2007, 06:32 PM
You'd think with all these new builders out there that people would have everything they want, but no ones made anything of genuine value during this wood plug rebirth, except for the BM SS needle.

This is a bit harsh, I think. Spooks were nonexistent before guys started cranking out customs, and the supply of metal lip swimming options (not to mention big darters) in the 3 oz size was also very sparse. The increase in the availability of different style needles for different conditions is also a big plus. Where could you get a jointed eel 5 years ago? How about a surfster? Although I agree the world has seen enough 2 oz Danny clones, or even worse these Lefty clones, it is a bit strained to argue that there is little new of "genuine value" available today for those who prefer to fish big plugs.

caumsett
01-08-2007, 06:45 PM
This buyer has been outbidding folks on lures for a while now. I know that name.:yak5:

Check your PMs.

caumsett
01-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Numbskull,

Nice avatar...:btu:

NIB
01-08-2007, 07:05 PM
I remember a years ago when dave manzi cut one(a danny) in half..
There where pics to document it..

afterhours
01-08-2007, 07:23 PM

my arse :bshake: - better builders than ever right now turning out the highest quality ever!

tlapinski
01-08-2007, 08:05 PM
but no ones made anything of genuine value during this wood plug rebirth, except for the BM SS needle.
That's why I grabbed 5 more on Saturday. I have almost as many now as I do original atom juniors.... :devil:

UserRemoved1
01-08-2007, 09:13 PM
I remember years ago when I cut a dave manzi danny in half :devil:

There was pictures there too :tooth:

I remember a years ago when dave manzi cut one(a danny) in half..
There where pics to document it..

Krispy
01-09-2007, 09:03 AM
This is a bit harsh, I think. Spooks were nonexistent before guys started cranking out customs, and the supply of metal lip swimming options (not to mention big darters) in the 3 oz size was also very sparse. The increase in the availability of different style needles for different conditions is also a big plus. Where could you get a jointed eel 5 years ago? How about a surfster? Although I agree the world has seen enough 2 oz Danny clones, or even worse these Lefty clones, it is a bit strained to argue that there is little new of "genuine value" available today for those who prefer to fish big plugs.

Thats true, I forgot Tattoo's Spook was a unique entrant to the market and started a new genre for other builders
to knockoff. For me its a non plug tho, breaks 2 of the 10 commandements of surfcasting, daytime plug and on the surface.
Whatever Mike did recently to the 3oz darter is great and I bought 1 of his 2oz darters w/ similar expectations for next season. Definitely plugs that were needed.

my arse - better builders than ever right now turning out the highest quality ever!
Yeah, but what are the new builders making?? Same thing as 20 other new guys.

afterhours
01-09-2007, 09:58 AM
i build my plugs for myself first of all and like to fish pencils, spooks, needles, swimmers, etc. so that's what i make while adding my take on these. varity is good and each builder adds his own uniqeness to his plugs. genuine value to me is fish catching ability and a very high level of workmanship and the overall quality of a plug. spook type plugs have been around for a long, long, time and no two that i know are the same ie: body shape, weighting, and casting traits. btw- i for one enjoy catching 20-30# stripers in the middle of the day on spook type plugs. try it you may like it :humpty:

Krispy
01-09-2007, 10:08 AM
show me the slips :rtfm:

SeaWolf
01-09-2007, 10:17 AM
interesting read...

to comment on the thread overall, i personally dont care what a lure cost, to a degree, but do care how it helps me catch fish. if i need to spend $25-30 for a lure that is reliable, catches fish, is consistant, and i never need to worry about tuning each new lure or reviewing the package for errors in that particular lure, i'll do it. some lures are that unique in their ability to catch fish or their ability to fish in conditions where others dont work, dont work well enough, or designed for just those unique conditions. if a lure does that for you, isn't it worth the money?

i catch a lot of fish on eels, jigs, soft plastics, and hard plastics. but, there are times that i either want to fish lures or lures are the only option. many of our "garage lure builders" offer unique lures for special conditions i might be faced with or offer better quality lures of those that were or are common today, such as danny's, atom 40s, pikies, etc. many of these "copied" lures are made much better with better sealers, better paints, better hooks and hardware, eyes, etc.

are there a lot of "garage lure builders" on the maret today? sure. will many continue to be here a year or 5 down the road? time will tell. either way, the amount of builders has forced the prices to increase, but they have also caused a major increase in lure quality in both hardware, craftsmanship, and consistency. everyone wants to be better or offer better options than their competitor. who wins? the buyer as you now have many more options than you did 10 years ago and many are as much of a work of art as a winner in the water w/ their results. eventually, this flood will cause the prices to stabilize and even fall slightly. competition is always a good thing.

who causes prices to jump on lures? typically it's the buyer. if lure builder A can sell his lure for $25 and it sells out, isn't it good business to keep selling it at that price as they are selling out and making money? but, most of that markup is not by the builder as much the dealer. ebay is a whole different animal. many of the lures that are selling for high prices today are no longer produced or are hard to get. again, if you can get $90 on ebay for a currently produced lure, more power to you.

krispy, i used to have the same opinion as you are fishing in the daytime and surface lures at night. i've been schooled a couple times by friend's fishing a spook at daytime when i would rather fish something else. i learned quickly. i've also fished the spook at night and was suprised at my results when other lures simply were not working. an angler that can adapt and still produce will earn my respect. it can be a spook, popper, or tin at night time, modified custom lure, or an old technique of yesteryear.

JohnR
01-09-2007, 10:21 AM
For me its a non plug tho, breaks 2 of the 10 commandements of surfcasting, daytime plug and on the surface.

OK :wiggle:

afterhours
01-09-2007, 10:26 AM
how about some pic's of 20's? i don't kill all my fish.....especially large, just ask the guys i fish with- they'll tell you.

afterhours
01-09-2007, 10:29 AM
...or

JHABS
01-09-2007, 10:31 AM
If Bobbys Plugs bring that kind of dollars, Then :claps: to Beach Master........................Its Quaility, Commitment, and Fish Catching ability of Plugs that bring on the $$$$$$$$$$.And people will pay for That...... Also this thread is about BM Plugs not everyone elses..............

numbskull
01-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah, but what are the new builders making?? Same thing as 20 other new guys.

But this has always been true. Innovation in saltwater plugs is very rare. Evolution is more the norm.

numbskull
01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
If Bobbys Plugs bring that kind of dollars, Then :claps: to Beach Master........................Its Quaility, Commitment, and Fish Catching ability of Plugs that bring on the $$$$$$$$$$.And people will pay for That...... Also this thread is about BM Plugs not everyone elses..............

Actually, the only thing that brings on the $$$$$$$$$$$ is high demand and short supply. Quality, commitment, and fishcatching ability are certainly important, but so are scarcity and hype. The latter, in particular, has gone through the roof regarding Beachmaster plugs, hence the wild escalation in prices for models presently unavailable. The growing perception that his plugs are worth collecting (rather than fishing) also is becoming a factor. I, for one, have mixed feelings about this trend. I have fished his plugs for @20 years with great confidence. I have extras in reserve, but I am starting to doubt those will ever see the use for which they were intended. Money certainly messes with your mind. :hs:

Pete_G
01-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I have extras in reserve, but I am starting to doubt those will ever see the use for which they were intended. Money certainly messes with your mind. :hs:

It hasn't changed my mind. My back up Beachmasters are lined up like soldiers ready to fish. Same for my rare and/or signed Habs. They're all going fishing if the ones currently in service go down...

NIGHT STRIKES
01-09-2007, 11:36 AM
It hasn't changed my mind. My back up Beachmasters are lined up like soldiers ready to fish. Same for my rare and/or signed Habs. They're all going fishing if the ones currently in service go down...

Sure, I mean why not fish them.. Thats their intention to "get wet"
I didn't purchased a VS to sit on a shelf nor the custom lami to just look at.. I bought a custom plug that works to fish with, I mean if I was going bait fishing I might spend close to $20.00 if not more for a days outing supply of Clams,Fresh Bunker and Eels based on the cost of bait these days...

I even have some Pichney Conrads in the rotation during the season.
But I have come to the conclusion that these plugs in particular should
be collected and I do have a shadowbox with a few different styles and color patterns on display in the family room now.
Next to some Lefty's ;-)

Krispy
01-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Fish em, I have CT Yankees, Musso's, Pinchney's, Masterlures all in my bag during a season, most of em found cheaper than new plugs

caumsett
01-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I have read all of your comments with great interest, obviously, since many of the posts on this thread are directed at me. However, despite the fact that I would be in my right to become very aggressive and slam everyone with derogatory remarks and labels that would ruin what little credibility I may have left in your eyes, I will instead carefully word my response so as to be as objective, factual and mature as possible, given the circumstances. This is going to be a long one, so I hope I don’t bore you half way down:

My first reaction after reading the first few posts was one of amusement. I initially felt that this thread was going to be like yet another one of those endless diatribes in which certain groups of surf casters knock the “new guys” (i.e., anyone not over 60, has a job and/or young kids and doesn’t have hours of free time to spend taking down reels each week) for owning 4-5 maintenance-free Van Staals – or for even owning one. However, I have found that when you peel away the layers of the onion you find that most of those individuals in this group would actually (and often secretly) admit to loving to own one, but they are either on a fixed income so they can’t afford it, or cannot mentally justify the dollars necessary, so instead they revert to sour grapes and put down what they cannot possess. After a few minutes of thinking about this, my level of amusement increased, as I see those same traits going on in this “Knock the EBayer” thread. I felt a little better.

As I read on, my amusement turned to mild annoyance. Instead of the usual good-natured ribbing and banter, I began to see outright attacks. ChiefLinsider wrote “he beat me out for a yellow bm danny months ago. also for some old rebel windcheaters.” Interesting. This indicates that ChiefLinesider was one of those who bid along with me for these plugs. Does that not put him in the same “spendthrift” category as I? I don’t recall how high he bid, but it would seem that if he was bidding he was interested in winning and we all know what it takes to do that – you have to be high bidder, obviously. However, since he did not win the plugs, and I did, he decided to denounce me. Why? Chief, if you really wanted the plugs that badly, you would have won them by outbidding me. That’s all fair and square; this is how this EBay thing works. I am sorry that you did not win the auction, but it is a free economy. Please do not knock me for my successes. I don’t know you but I am sure that you are an excellent fisherman based upon your desire to capture these great lures, so it is beneath you to resort to derogatory comments.

I then came across a post from Jimmy Z, which really upset me. He wrote “This buyer has been outbidding folks on lures for a while now. I know that name” and then he felt the need to add a puking icon. Well, what can I say? He must hate me so much that he wants to throw up all over me – right? It’s amazing that someone can feel that way about someone else when they have never even met. I sent him a very polite PM and asked him to please state his feelings about me man-to-man, one-on-one. What I received back was, despite being polite, essentially a non-response. You know sometimes you will see someone talk behind someone’s else’s back, but then when the victim confronts the attacker in a very non-confrontational manner, the attacker suddenly becomes nice and polite and says things like “Hey, just kidding, you’re really not such a bad guy” etc. etc.? The moment the victim walks away, the attacker mutters something like, “Geez, what a tool!” You see, when people attack someone in a public place (like on this board) but do a complete about-face when confronted, that person is being disingenuous. It is difficult to trust such an individual. Jimmy Z, I do not hate you for what you did but I would have actually felt better if you just came back to me with an honest response. If you really think I’m “OK” then what was your intention for the post?

I was also told that my bidding practices make the whole process “one-sided”. What does that mean? Well, I assume it means that I am monopolizing EBay. So where is the crime in that? Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the whole idea of bidding to deliberately make the results one-sided (i.e., in your favor)? If this means that I am being “unfair” that’s really not relevant. If you were to go to a new car dealership and offered to pay less than the guy standing next to you, does that make the other buyer “unfair” because he chose to pony up more cash than you did? Not at all.

Does Jimmy Z hate me because I win auctions, or because I outbid him? I really don’t know and honestly it doesn’t really matter.

The bottom line is, it’s my money and I do have the right to spend it as I see fit.

It seems more like the problem is not that I am a spendthrift, but that I simply have won several auctions and for that alone I am being singled-out!

I know some guys who have 37 reels and 84 rods. Why? I don’t care? That’s their affectation and they have chosen to spend their money as they are entitled to. No harsh words from me.

PS – I saw a mackerel jointed Pichney that sold on eBay a few weeks ago for well over $600. Does anyone know who bought that one? I did not see anything in this forum about that. I believe I know who bought it but I am not about to bad-mouth him. First of all, I have nothing bad to say anyway. It’s not like I’m just “holding back” from making my feelings public. The truth be told, I personally think it’s extreme and over-the-top – but that’s as far as I would go. Does the person have the $ to cover it? I assume he has plenty. Good for him and I congratulate him on being able to afford it. Would I spend that much on a plug? No.

Speaking about plugs: I am not a collector. Again, I repeat: I am NOT a collector. We have two little kids in the house so displaying lures would just be too much of a draw for them (ouch) and I have no interest in staring at vintage lures anyway. I buy lures to fish with – period.

If you met me, you would find that I am a fairly accomplished surf caster that has been fishing in the surf for at least 34 years. “Due to kids” (my favorite excuse) I have not fished as hard in the last few years as I used to - priorities change. However, I still get many, many innings all over the Island. I enjoy all aspects of the game – from quiet backwaters and marshes to raging currents while wetsuiting insane locations, to everything in between.

I don’t have a lot of time to play around, so I chose quality, dependable tackle – and what is known to work.

With that said, this is why, when I am in the wooden plug market, to choose predominantly Beachmaster as my main source. I have found that they work well and they are consistent. We all know that Bobby was Danny Pichney’s understudy. Who else can make that claim? That alone speaks volumes about the plug.

Why do we see so many auctions for Beachmaster plugs? Because they are in demand. Bobby’s product has an incredibly smooth, flawless finish, his plugs are very consistent and they catch fish – and people will pay for them. They are hard to find. They are not produced on a regular schedule. I don’t know where the info comes from as to how I will be feeling buyer’s remorse a year now when BM Dannys will be available at $20 a pop, but my sources tell me that they are not going to be made for quite some time. So you can wait and wait and wait – or you can buy what you can get your hands on now.

Are there many, many other premium plugs out there? Of course there are. I am not going to start dropping names as we all know the top builders but each and every one of them turns out a quality product. I have many plugs from various builders and I would say that for the most part I have not been disappointed. However, once again, it comes down to confidence. I am simply more confident with Beachmaster plugs.

The world does not revolve around what you can build yourself. There are many of us out there that do not have the time, space and dedication to create our own lures. If you can do so, I applaud you.

Are genuine Pichneys “magical”? I may get slammed for writing this – but I don’t think so. I doubt that over the course of a year you would see a difference between the number of fish caught on a genuine Pinchney Danny versus a Beachmaster version in the same color & size. Given that, is there any reason to spend $150 on a genuine Pichney Danny Plug to fish with it when you can have a BM for $30-$40-$50 (let’s forget about my $91 bid for a moment  LOL!)? I don’t think there is. However, there is a question of availability. BM Dannys are very hard to come by in the basic, down-to-earth colors. At least I have found this to be true. This tends to drive the price up. Ultimately, if you want one, you will have to pay for it to get it.

Could you get a genuine yellow Danny made by Pichney? Doubtful for that price. Did he even make these in yellow? I have never seen one. But we know that yellow is a great color.

Now, what about plugs that are more or less unique to Pichney such as Conrads, Slope-Heads, Sandeel Swimmers etc? Again, correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t see too many of these styles out there by other builders. If you want one of these, expect to pay for it.

I would like to end by stating that I am surprised at the number of parochial attitudes on this board. Admittedly, I have spent a lot of money on plugs. But I have the money to spend. That’s not a gloat, it is fact. Am I wealthy? Not all all. I work hard for a living. However, I have the means to buy what I want and I find it small-minded to judge those who are able to do so.

JohnR
01-09-2007, 01:09 PM
I would like to end by stating that I am surprised at the number of parochial attitudes on this board.

Couple things - first - welcome to S-B

The Internet - including fishing forums - for good or for bad have been like this since long before S-B was even a thought. Nature of the beast? Yep - again, for good or bad.

Second - very few beeyotch about VS's this day - OK, most do, and they swear and cuss at 'em even when perched up on the rock while fishing them. I certainly wouldn't say most surfcasters have them but I would say probably 40% of the guys making 20+ trips to the surf a year do.

Third - I'm too cheap to bid against you :smash: :btu: (though my most expensive plug is an original Danny still in the bad :tooth: )

tobias
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
JT:wave:

eastendlu
01-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Welcome and stick around after a while you will realize that there are a bunch of really good people here.This is a great place lots of info :uhoh: .

striperondafly
01-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I have read all of your comments with great interest, obviously, since many of the posts on this thread are directed at me. However, despite the fact that I would be in my right to become very aggressive and slam everyone with derogatory remarks and labels that would ruin what little credibility I may have left in your eyes, I will instead carefully word my response so as to be as objective, factual and mature as possible, given the circumstances. This is going to be a long one, so I hope I don’t bore you half way down:

My first reaction after reading the first few posts was one of amusement. I initially felt that this thread was going to be like yet another one of those endless diatribes in which certain groups of surf casters knock the “new guys” (i.e., anyone not over 60, has a job and/or young kids and doesn’t have hours of free time to spend taking down reels each week) for owning 4-5 maintenance-free Van Staals – or for even owning one. However, I have found that when you peel away the layers of the onion you find that most of those individuals in this group would actually (and often secretly) admit to loving to own one, but they are either on a fixed income so they can’t afford it, or cannot mentally justify the dollars necessary, so instead they revert to sour grapes and put down what they cannot possess. After a few minutes of thinking about this, my level of amusement increased, as I see those same traits going on in this “Knock the EBayer” thread. I felt a little better.

As I read on, my amusement turned to mild annoyance. Instead of the usual good-natured ribbing and banter, I began to see outright attacks. ChiefLinsider wrote “he beat me out for a yellow bm danny months ago. also for some old rebel windcheaters.” Interesting. This indicates that ChiefLinesider was one of those who bid along with me for these plugs. Does that not put him in the same “spendthrift” category as I? I don’t recall how high he bid, but it would seem that if he was bidding he was interested in winning and we all know what it takes to do that – you have to be high bidder, obviously. However, since he did not win the plugs, and I did, he decided to denounce me. Why? Chief, if you really wanted the plugs that badly, you would have won them by outbidding me. That’s all fair and square; this is how this EBay thing works. I am sorry that you did not win the auction, but it is a free economy. Please do not knock me for my successes. I don’t know you but I am sure that you are an excellent fisherman based upon your desire to capture these great lures, so it is beneath you to resort to derogatory comments.

I then came across a post from Jimmy Z, which really upset me. He wrote “This buyer has been outbidding folks on lures for a while now. I know that name” and then he felt the need to add a puking icon. Well, what can I say? He must hate me so much that he wants to throw up all over me – right? It’s amazing that someone can feel that way about someone else when they have never even met. I sent him a very polite PM and asked him to please state his feelings about me man-to-man, one-on-one. What I received back was, despite being polite, essentially a non-response. You know sometimes you will see someone talk behind someone’s else’s back, but then when the victim confronts the attacker in a very non-confrontational manner, the attacker suddenly becomes nice and polite and says things like “Hey, just kidding, you’re really not such a bad guy” etc. etc.? The moment the victim walks away, the attacker mutters something like, “Geez, what a tool!” You see, when people attack someone in a public place (like on this board) but do a complete about-face when confronted, that person is being disingenuous. It is difficult to trust such an individual. Jimmy Z, I do not hate you for what you did but I would have actually felt better if you just came back to me with an honest response. If you really think I’m “OK” then what was your intention for the post?

I was also told that my bidding practices make the whole process “one-sided”. What does that mean? Well, I assume it means that I am monopolizing EBay. So where is the crime in that? Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the whole idea of bidding to deliberately make the results one-sided (i.e., in your favor)? If this means that I am being “unfair” that’s really not relevant. If you were to go to a new car dealership and offered to pay less than the guy standing next to you, does that make the other buyer “unfair” because he chose to pony up more cash than you did? Not at all.

Does Jimmy Z hate me because I win auctions, or because I outbid him? I really don’t know and honestly it doesn’t really matter.

The bottom line is, it’s my money and I do have the right to spend it as I see fit.

It seems more like the problem is not that I am a spendthrift, but that I simply have won several auctions and for that alone I am being singled-out!

I know some guys who have 37 reels and 84 rods. Why? I don’t care? That’s their affectation and they have chosen to spend their money as they are entitled to. No harsh words from me.

PS – I saw a mackerel jointed Pichney that sold on eBay a few weeks ago for well over $600. Does anyone know who bought that one? I did not see anything in this forum about that. I believe I know who bought it but I am not about to bad-mouth him. First of all, I have nothing bad to say anyway. It’s not like I’m just “holding back” from making my feelings public. The truth be told, I personally think it’s extreme and over-the-top – but that’s as far as I would go. Does the person have the $ to cover it? I assume he has plenty. Good for him and I congratulate him on being able to afford it. Would I spend that much on a plug? No.

Speaking about plugs: I am not a collector. Again, I repeat: I am NOT a collector. We have two little kids in the house so displaying lures would just be too much of a draw for them (ouch) and I have no interest in staring at vintage lures anyway. I buy lures to fish with – period.

If you met me, you would find that I am a fairly accomplished surf caster that has been fishing in the surf for at least 34 years. “Due to kids” (my favorite excuse) I have not fished as hard in the last few years as I used to - priorities change. However, I still get many, many innings all over the Island. I enjoy all aspects of the game – from quiet backwaters and marshes to raging currents while wetsuiting insane locations, to everything in between.

I don’t have a lot of time to play around, so I chose quality, dependable tackle – and what is known to work.

With that said, this is why, when I am in the wooden plug market, to choose predominantly Beachmaster as my main source. I have found that they work well and they are consistent. We all know that Bobby ------ was Danny Pichney’s understudy. Who else can make that claim? That alone speaks volumes about the plug.

Why do we see so many auctions for Beachmaster plugs? Because they are in demand. Bobby’s product has an incredibly smooth, flawless finish, his plugs are very consistent and they catch fish – and people will pay for them. They are hard to find. They are not produced on a regular schedule. I don’t know where the info comes from as to how I will be feeling buyer’s remorse a year now when BM Dannys will be available at $20 a pop, but my sources tell me that they are not going to be made for quite some time. So you can wait and wait and wait – or you can buy what you can get your hands on now.

Are there many, many other premium plugs out there? Of course there are. I am not going to start dropping names as we all know the top builders but each and every one of them turns out a quality product. I have many plugs from various builders and I would say that for the most part I have not been disappointed. However, once again, it comes down to confidence. I am simply more confident with Beachmaster plugs.

The world does not revolve around what you can build yourself. There are many of us out there that do not have the time, space and dedication to create our own lures. If you can do so, I applaud you.

Are genuine Pichneys “magical”? I may get slammed for writing this – but I don’t think so. I doubt that over the course of a year you would see a difference between the number of fish caught on a genuine Pinchney Danny versus a Beachmaster version in the same color & size. Given that, is there any reason to spend $150 on a genuine Pichney Danny Plug to fish with it when you can have a BM for $30-$40-$50 (let’s forget about my $91 bid for a moment  LOL!)? I don’t think there is. However, there is a question of availability. BM Dannys are very hard to come by in the basic, down-to-earth colors. At least I have found this to be true. This tends to drive the price up. Ultimately, if you want one, you will have to pay for it to get it.

Could you get a genuine yellow Danny made by Pichney? Doubtful for that price. Did he even make these in yellow? I have never seen one. But we know that yellow is a great color.

Now, what about plugs that are more or less unique to Pichney such as Conrads, Slope-Heads, Sandeel Swimmers etc? Again, correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t see too many of these styles out there by other builders. If you want one of these, expect to pay for it.

I would like to end by stating that I am surprised at the number of parochial attitudes on this board. Admittedly, I have spent a lot of money on plugs. But I have the money to spend. That’s not a gloat, it is fact. Am I wealthy? Not all all. I work hard for a living. However, I have the means to buy what I want and I find it small-minded to judge those who are able to do so.

don't bogart all the BM's :jester:

Seriously, I could care less - spend the money one em if ya like em.

I think there are other plug builders who build a better plug and they are in demand AND available.

I don't see the comments you singled out as "attacks" - but rather opinions. They guys (myself included) think you are crazy for spending that kind of money on a plug.

But you don't care what we think - right? So why respond then???

Slipknot
01-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I knew it was all Habs fault

:hidin:

luds
01-09-2007, 01:51 PM
[QUOTE=caumsett;449073]

[QUOTE]

That was me with the comment on the bm danny and the rebel windcheaters. I was b%tching more about being repeatedly beat out by you and I'm guess guilty of joining the smear campaign as a result. I'm really just shocked at the amount I see your name on e-bay and the amount of auctions you win. You just apparently have the disease much more than most of us. :tooth: I just don't see 91 bucks for a BM Danny as a smart purchase regardless of your income.

I only read the beginning of your post. I apologize if my response doesn't address the rest of it.

Anyway, welcome to S-B.

caumsett
01-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Thank you for the generally favorable welcome...:wave:

It's not that I don't care. I think everybody cares what people say or write about them. Those that say they don't are really not being honest to themselves and others.

With that said, and with the air clear about how I feel about how you feel, I'll move on from there :)

NIGHT STRIKES
01-09-2007, 02:01 PM
caumsett,

Thanks for posting and giving your thoughts and reasoning in regards to this topic,appreciate it....
.And welcome to S-B.com....

Question for you though, do you really plan on fishing the Musso's and Pichney's after dropping that kind of cash on them,or will those be put away as collectible's ? I know I feel nuts using some of the plugs that I spent plenty on and pray that a yellow eyed demon doesn't come along but couldn't imagine it on your scale....

Also , do I have a chance at the current Black/Gold Danny ? :bl:

zimmy
01-09-2007, 02:02 PM
I know one thing... I have a blue and white beachmaster danny without eyes that I got in a pile of plugs that hasn't seen water... it is really tempting to let people bid on it. Really means nothing to me. I could get a bunch of useful lures even if the price isn't close to that. Would I become part of the problem? My friends and I have debated this about extra concert tickets and the consensus was it is bad form to feed the fire.

JohnR
01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Caumsett - just give me your shopping list of what you want and I'll get 'em for you - time & materials plus 20% :hee:

BTW - which Island?

tobias
01-09-2007, 02:09 PM
LI

JohnR
01-09-2007, 02:21 PM
That's what I was thinking....

On the note about the BeMa plugs, CMS usually has a good selection at the MSBA show...

t.orlando
01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
The bottom line is, it’s my money and I do have the right to spend it as I see fit..
Sums it right up, don't let the whiners bother you

striperondafly
01-09-2007, 02:50 PM
who is whining??? :tooth:

striperondafly
01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
I know one thing... I have a blue and white beachmaster danny without eyes that I got in a pile of plugs that hasn't seen water... it is really tempting to let people bid on it. Really means nothing to me. I could get a bunch of useful lures even if the price isn't close to that. Would I become part of the problem? My friends and I have debated this about extra concert tickets and the consensus was it is bad form to feed the fire.

thats what I did - I kept one of each BM model and got rid of the rest :gorez:

caumsett
01-09-2007, 03:38 PM
caumsett,

Thanks for posting and giving your thoughts and reasoning in regards to this topic,appreciate it....
.And welcome to S-B.com....
Question for you though, do you really plan on fishing the Musso's and Pichney's after dropping that kind of cash on them,or will those be put away as collectible's ? I know I feel nuts using some of the plugs that I spent plenty on and pray that a yellow eyed demon doesn't come along but couldn't imagine it on your scale....

Thanks, glad to be aboard. I have fished my Pinchneys very hard over the past few years but in retrospect I am starting to have a change of heart. There are some that are so unique that I doubt will ever be copied well enough where I have the confidence to fish the clone, so those will probably keep seeing the salt. However, there are others (Dannys come to mind) that I have enough confidence can be either met or beaten by whatever BM Dannys I have, so these might wind up leaving my hands…decisions, decisions!!!

…Also , do I have a chance at the current Black/Gold Danny ? :bl:

Let me think about it a little bit....

:hs: :laughs:

caumsett
01-09-2007, 03:40 PM
That's what I was thinking....

On the note about the BeMa plugs, CMS usually has a good selection at the MSBA show...

Yes - but will he have Dannys this spring???

caumsett
01-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Welcome and stick around after a while you will realize that there are a bunch of really good people here.This is a great place lots of info :uhoh: .

Yes, I realize that, every site has its share of good and bad. Thanks.

NIGHT STRIKES
01-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Yes - but will he have Dannys this spring???

Only time will tell, but I am also hearing the same thing.. They have been pushed back a good ways.... Will See...

Man I Really Need That Black over Gold ;)

caumsett
01-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Only time will tell, but I am also hearing the same thing.. They have been pushed back a good ways.... Will See...

Man I Really Need That Black over Gold ;)

:bshake: :humpty: !

tobias
01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
:eyes: I've got one without eyes:humpty:

capesams
01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes, I realize that, every site has its share of good and bad. Thanks.

:p :devil: :vamp: :rude: I'm the bad guy..atleast I'm honest about it.Not like some of these lilly pads around here.:hidin:

On a better note: Welcome to John's R ..sb site.

I gotta tell ya..if I had the means..I'd be given you a run for your money on e-bay....congrats on your winnings.

O! ps..what are the chances of seeing some of these rare/different Danny p's?

tattoobob
01-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Welcome to the site

Guess what, paying anything more than 30 bucks for a plug to fish with is just ridiculous, and nobody should encourage these ebay price gougers, by bidding up these plugs and paying that much. in the long run it is just going to get the prices to go up over the board.

DZ
01-09-2007, 06:59 PM
Thank God for plastic Redfins and Superstrikes.

DZ

numbskull
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Caumset, with all due respect, you didn't spend $91 on a beachmaster danny to fish it. You spent it because you thought you needed the plug to be happy. Nothing wrong with that, we've all done something similar (or worse). By the way, the Gibbs dannys work every bit as well, even if the beachmasters are nicer (and marginally heavier). Good luck, enjoy your plugs,.... but not as much as your family,...... and welcome to the site.

luds
01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Caumset, with all due respect, you didn't spend $91 on a beachmaster danny to fish it. You spent it because you thought you needed the plug to be happy. Nothing wrong with that, we've all done something similar (or worse). By the way, the Gibbs dannys work every bit as well, even if the beachmasters are nicer (and marginally heavier). Good luck, enjoy your plugs,.... but not as much as your family,...... and welcome to the site.

never mind.

numbskull
01-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Do you have any confidence in the Gibbs dannies that are on the shelves these days?

Can't say I've bought any recently, but I doubt they have changed them. Actually, the Gibbs danny and pre-eyes beachmasters were the same body and same lip (the beachmasters with eyes are fatter which I don't like though some people do). The only meaningful difference was in the belly weight (though the original beachmasters had a poorer quality thin lip with sharp edges and the gibbs hooks are a few mm closer together). Gibbs used a 10/32" round lead shot that was smaller than the weight in an original danny or beachmaster (the original had a 3/8 x 7/16 slug, the beachmaster a 5/16 x 1/2" slug). For a while I used to drill out the weight on a gibbs and replace it with a danny sized slug...., but gave this up when I was repeatedly outfished by a friend using a stock white Gibbs Danny. I also often upsized the hooks on my medium Dannys from 2/0 to 3/0, partly because I like the slower action even if the fish don't neccessarily always agree. But the bottomline is that after close to a thousand hours fishing Beachmasters, Lupos, and Gibbs side by side I'm convinced there is more variation plug to plug within the same brand, than there are major variations brand to brand. I won't pretend to be the final authority on anything, but I have learned that with any wooden metal lip plug, it is much more about how you set it up, tune it, and work it, than it is about which brand you buy.

caumsett
01-09-2007, 09:36 PM

First: don't tell me why I spent that much. That's my business and I have my reasons.
Second: Keep your lecturing about how I should treat my family to yourself.

OK, now that we understand each other, I look forward to fishing with you this spring as I cast that yellow Danny plug out...:p

caumsett
01-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Welcome to the site

Guess what, paying anything more than 30 bucks for a plug to fish with is just ridiculous, and nobody should encourage these ebay price gougers, by bidding up these plugs and paying that much. in the long run it is just going to get the prices to go up over the board.

Tell that to the ones who have bid against me, some of who are on this board...:rollem:

Skitterpop
01-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Black silver gray red orange yellow to cream :uhuh:

capesams
01-09-2007, 10:26 PM
skidder o buddy o pal o friend....dang purrty ultra pissa hot plug u got there.

Skitterpop
01-09-2007, 10:38 PM
she is sweet :hee:

Skitterpop
01-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Green silverstripe cream is a BM with bent up bottom lip plate side to side
....i think?

The other a Musso?

Skitterpop
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
As Borat says.................... nice :hihi:

Skitterpop
01-09-2007, 11:05 PM
you tell me?

please

Pete_G
01-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I'll try and get a Danny update in the next few days. As of a month ago, they're next. The wood and lips for Dannys already exists. Not that that means this spring....

Cowboys are still what's in the barrel at the moment.

Skitterpop
01-09-2007, 11:39 PM
pikchas

Diamond Tackle
01-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Caumset,
Welcome to the site.
I used to do a lot of Bridge fishing on Lawn Guyland, this one time I almost sold one(the bridge) to a new guy . Some guys catch fish , come catch fishermen.:hee: Enjoy your plugs in good health.

numbskull
01-10-2007, 06:42 AM
First: don't tell me why I spent that much. That's my business and I have my reasons.

OK, now that we understand each other, I look forward to fishing with you this spring as I cast that yellow Danny plug out...:p

Some ugly stuff going on there. Whatever......goodbye. :hs:

cow tamer
01-10-2007, 07:10 AM
I guess the bottom line is that e Bay is all about what the buyer and seller personally feel something is worth and therefore what one is willing to pay or accept. When suprised by this, let's still remain mindfull of this.

NIB
01-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Was this really necessary??
George is one of the nicer guys on this website..
I hope u where just joking..
Frances.

Joe
01-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Beachmaster prices will go up in the short run. There's bound to be at least one vendor who will use an agent to sell them on Ebay....Or a tackle shop employee will buy them all up and sell them on Ebay. (And no, I'm not alluding to the Saltwater Edge - just to be clear.)

Over the medium run, prices will go down because at the going rate more sellers will enter the market.

There are too many builders these days for prices to go up across the board.

I would not get on the new dude too badly...

Saltheart
01-10-2007, 08:49 AM
If I paid a hundred for a plug , it would be to hang on the wall. I would never fish it.

The canal is great in that respect. Pour a jig for 45 cents , stick on a 60 cent curltail and let it slizzer right on the bottom. If it gets snagged , you lose $1. :)

vineyardblues
01-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Welcome
And congrats on your plugs, you really have some sweet stuff!
As for fishing them, (and I am a collector and fisherman)
Let's just say this,,,that's what they are made for! When we are in the boat around the rocks with wire line ...I always go for the Gibbs gts 3 3/4 "nothing has better action"
Hell the damm thing is to big to cast any how..lol
I always toss an old beat up Atom or what ever I have in my bag.
Now as a colllector, I would think twice about tossing MINT old plugage out to a bloo fish blitz. LOL
Again, welcome to the site.Head over to the antique lure forum and post some pictures please
VB

striperondafly
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
Now as a colllector, I would think twice about tossing MINT old plugage out to a bloo fish blitz. LOL

watchout he doesnt like being "lectured" :rotfl:

caumsett
01-10-2007, 04:31 PM
Caumset,
Welcome to the site.
I used to do a lot of Bridge fishing on Lawn Guyland, this one time I almost sold one(the bridge) to a new guy . Some guys catch fish , come catch fishermen.:hee: Enjoy your plugs in good health.

Thanks TinMan :wiggle: !

Numbskull: All I can say is how well do your Frech Bananas swim...:laugha: ?

caumsett
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Was this really necessary??
George is one of the nicer guys on this website..
I hope u where just joking..
Frances.

So was I....:jester:

PS - Can I call you "Psycho"?

caumsett
01-10-2007, 04:39 PM
...I would not get on the new dude too badly...

Too late...:(

Hi Joe,

Thanks for rooting for me, like I said, there is good on this site, then there is.....

striperondafly
01-10-2007, 04:43 PM
good then what???

- all most said was you where nuts for spending 90 bucks on a plug ya fish - big friggen deal it's an opinion - are you that insecure??? :bounce:

NIGHT STRIKES
01-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Keep Saying To YourSelf - I Do Not Need Another Black over Gold
I Do Not Need Another Black over Gold :wave:

NIGHT STRIKES
01-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey Brian, Very Nice Pick-Up On The Swirl Hab-a-Tat...

Great Cause Also... Thanks Man.............

Slipknot
01-10-2007, 05:16 PM
is it time to let this thread wander on down the page yet? :yawn:

tattoobob
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I was going to buy this one along with the bridge Tinman is selling

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260073940972&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=260073663724&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

caumsett
01-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I was going to buy this one along with the bridge Tinman is selling

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260073940972&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=260073663724&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

I'll give you $10,000 for that plug sir!!:hihi:

Seriously, you HAVE to admit that, while $91 may be a bit steep for plug (I DID admit that it WAS steep - but I still wanted it anyway!) the current selling price for this Russo is waaaay outta line UNLESS the fellow is a pure collector and is planning on just putting it behind a glass case, in which case it may be about right. I have no idea what a Russo should go for.

We have to stop applying our own set of rules to what bidders do. Poeple buy lures (or ANYTHING, for that matter) for different reasons. Some buy for fishing (like me), some buy for collecting, some do both. When is a plug for fishing considered "overpriced"? That could be debated forever. If you make your own, then I would imagine the price would have to be very low for you to consider a plug priced "about right". If you don't, but still want a hard-to-find plug to fish with, you have to be willing to pay for it. What should a collector's plug be priced at? That depends completely on how much people are willing to pay for it.

Different strokes for different folks. For some it's brand x, y and z - but for most of my purchases, it will be Beachmaster.

caumsett
01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Keep Saying To YourSelf - I Do Not Need Another Black over Gold
I Do Not Need Another Black over Gold :wave:

You know what? Maybe I really don't........

stay tuned my friend!!;)

Diamond Tackle
01-10-2007, 11:03 PM
Caumsett ,
Are u related to JayR by any chance ?

caumsett
01-10-2007, 11:05 PM
good then what???

- all most said was you where nuts for spending 90 bucks on a plug ya fish - big friggen deal it's an opinion - are you that insecure??? :bounce:

We are all entitled to our "opinions" - as am I.

caumsett
01-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Caumsett ,
Are u related to JayR by any chance ?

Jay who :confused:

caumsett
01-10-2007, 11:10 PM
You know what, I'm done with this thread. Spring is coming (or at least it was here - at least last weekend!), fishing is more and more on my mind, and I want to get back to a more constructive topic...

Have fun guys :D

jimmy z
01-11-2007, 05:44 AM
Did someone call? Maybe they want to have a blast.lol Chill out dude!

Mike P
01-11-2007, 07:52 AM
is it time to let this thread wander on down the page yet? :yawn:

Way past time, I think.

JohnR
01-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Way past time, I think.

Yup...

Group Hug & A Close?