View Full Version : Darwin @ Work

fishpoopoo
01-07-2007, 07:58 PM
I wanna see the pictures of the MTA guys scraping him off the tracks.

:lurk:

Train kills teenage graffiti artist
Story Highlights
•13-year-old Ari Kraft killed by commuter train as he crossed tracks
•Friends say Kraft, others had been painting graffiti near train tracks
•Accident, during Friday rush hour, stopped train service for hours
•Kraft painted large murals with inscriptions like "Remember 9/11," friends say

NEW YORK (AP) -- A 13-year-old boy had just finished painting graffiti near railroad tracks when he was struck and killed by a commuter train, authorities and friends said Saturday.

A Long Island Rail Road train hit Ari Kraft between stations in Queens during the evening rush hour Friday, police said.

The city's medical examiner said he died of "blunt impact injuries to the head, torso and extremities."

The teen and three friends had been painting on the elevated tracks near a station, his friends said. As he crossed the tracks to head home, the train, carrying about 1,000 people, slammed into him.

Train service was suspended for hours.

Friends said he often created large murals with inscriptions like "Remember 9/11" -- under the tag name "Corporal." :rolleyes:

sok
01-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Posthumous Darwin award.
Still warrants one.
Last words;"Oh Sh.....................................
This falls into the category of what the f... were you thinking?
Train vs. truck is supposed to be able to crush the truck like it's a beer can. Train wins.
Train vs. idiot with spray paint?
I used to fish FW in the acid pit in Woburn,MA.
(Anybody that knows Woburn can tell you where that is. Montvale Ave)
Commuter rail ran literally right through that pond.
You can hear the commuter rail about 1/2 mile away.
You can feel it at about 1/4 mile away.
100 yds........grab everything you have and duck.

Raven
01-10-2007, 06:32 AM
after spraying that much paint he more than likely had a good buzz on.

i think NOT to show the 9/11 mural was a big mistake.....as he obviously died doing something he believed in.

graffitti needs to go mainstream in the sense.....that people should be able to compete for some kind of Prize and have the Murals judged by a panel of artists....and give these people a place to express themselves and showcase their talent instead of having to resort to
vandalism to paint what they want to show the world.

Swimmer
01-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Bassturbed.......if it was a dead on hit thier is not much left. Not even enough to fill ........well I'm sure you realize whats left. If we could all have those moments of stupidity back.

Mike P
01-10-2007, 01:33 PM
You can hear the commuter rail about 1/2 mile away.
You can feel it at about 1/4 mile away.
100 yds........grab everything you have and duck.

You'd be amazed at how quiet the LIRRs electric trains are. Throw in a lot of ambient noise from a nearby highway or industrial area, and you probably wouldn't get 100 yards worth of warning. At 100 yards, with a train going 60 mph, you have about 3 seconds to get out of the way, and an electrified third rail to think about while you're deciding which way to jump ;)

sok
01-10-2007, 05:23 PM
I didn't realize the LIRR was electric.
Mass commuter rail uses all diesel locomotives.
And if they are anywhere where someone could get on the tracks they hit the horns all the way through. And usually when there is a crew working on them.
I have no more smartass comments after seeing this.
http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=176278
These are the same tracks I used to fish from give or take a few yards.

TC23
01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah well he didn't show any smarts but someone's little boy is dead. That is tragic anyway you look at it