View Full Version : Baitcasters for Stripers

MTC
01-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Last winter I picked up 2 Quantum Saltwater Baitcasters for Spring Schoolies in the CT River. I keep my boat down there until mid May. This winter I am going to pick up 2 more but want to try the Okuma V200a's. I have got bass up to 32' on them and they are a blast. The reason I want 2 more is so I can set up multiple color and lures...

They only hold about 175 yards od 30lb Powerpro or 160 yrds of 12lb mono... The mono works better and gives you less backlashes. It takes practice casting them but are great with plastics..

What is a good quality Mono to use with them... Has anybody used the Cajin Red?

One Arm Tom...:laugha:

Little Round
01-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Momoi Illusion

Roger
01-08-2007, 11:09 PM
Ande Backcountry
After learning about it on this site I used it all last year and like it a lot. I used it most on small conventionals.

I fished with Mike Neto this year (Adrianna Charters) and noticed that he used it on all his reels too.

numbskull
01-09-2007, 07:37 AM
I have a ton of experience using baitcasting reels for striped bass. You would do well to go with a calcutta 400 (if cost is a concern a 5500 or 6500 series abu with upgraded drag washers will suffice) and 15-20 lb fireline. Tie a Bimini twist in the end of it, and attach a fluorocarbon leader (30-55#) with a uniknot-uniknot connection. Such a set up will handle anything up to small (<80) bluefin tuna. If you are fishing from a boat you have no need for #30 powerpro, and powerpro cuts itself too easily on a backlash to be worth the trouble. Mono is OK, but a baitcasting outfit is much more versatile with Fireline, just don't go over 20lb test.

eelman
01-09-2007, 10:18 AM
I have a ton of experience using baitcasting reels for striped bass. You would do well to go with a calcutta 400 (if cost is a concern a 6000 series abu with upgraded drag washers will suffice) and 15-20 lb fireline. Tie a Bimini twist in the end of it, and attach a fluorocarbon leader (30-55#) with a uniknot-uniknot connection. Such a set up will handle anything up to small (<80) bluefin tuna. If you are fishing from a boat you have no need for #30 powerpro, and powerpro cuts itself too easily on a backlash to be worth the trouble. Mono is OK, but a baitcasting outfit is much more versatile with Fireline, just don't go over 20lb test.

I agree on the Calcutta 400, its the only reel I use 99% of the time, very versatile for both plug fishing and eel fishing.As for line I prefer mono...but a 400 is one great reel..

Finaddict
01-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I have never used the Calcutta 400 (can't remember at least) but have been using the Penn 975 ... I hear more positive information over the 400 than the 975, but it was a good reel for me so far ... I would not have a problem fishing bait with it either - eels, etc. they are priced the same, so in the long run, might be better with the 400 ... if cost is a factor ... the 5500 and 6500 are always a good bet, have caught lots with those as well.

As for braid vs mono - I've heard a few reps at line companies say that braid does not give you much of an advantage on fish from convetional over mono as it does in spinning situations, at least two who sell both braid and mono ... so that is something to think consider ..

fcap60
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Ande Backcountry- I love it.