View Full Version : Saltiga ?

Mr. Sandman
01-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Is Ebay the best place to get a good deal these? Where did you get yours?

Do you think the 5000 is the one to get for the1322 arra? or should I go bigger? Is there a newer (better) model out?

Thanks

Sluggoslinger
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I've heard the freebay ones are the high speed retrieve ones and you don't want that. Ask Maddog2020, he seems to know a bunch about them.

I got a saltiga blast and it seems amazing but I haven't tried it out yet...

chief10
01-09-2007, 02:45 PM
sandman-you going to be plugging with that rod only?

the 5000 may be a bit heavy for the rod.

i bought a 4500 blast in japan at www.tsurishopjapan.com -excellent service and prices are decent.

the other one I bought 3 years ago in the USA (6000GT) this reel has gone up quite a bit. its a high speed retrieve same size roughly as the 5000 but not great for plugging. I have that one on an arra 1261 for jigging.

recently I've heard that certain ebay sellers will take an order for a specific reel for a good price. then again your sending someone $$$ and unless you dealt with them before you might not be comfortable doing that. the newer saltiga is the saltiga dogfight you can find it on their website.

Mike P
01-09-2007, 04:01 PM
The 4000 and the 4500 are the same except for the spool's capacity, and I believe the spools are interchangeable.

Same with the 5000 and 6000, although there is a high speed retrieve version of the 6000.

To me, buying the 5000 makes no sense. If two reels weigh the same, and cost the same, buy the one that holds more line :humpty:

The 4000 and 4500 weigh about 20 oz, the 5000 and 6000 weigh 29oz. That seems like a lot of reel for a 1322, but I'd have to see how the balance is before saying it's a bad match.

However--it's only 4 oz heavier than a 25 oz Emblem Pro and that reel is used extensively by Canal guys on 1322s.

chief10
01-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Mike p- do some guys use the 1322 to jig with? if so up to what size jig? just curious.thx.

basswipe
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
There's also the Saltiga Surf to consider.

lurch
01-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Mike p- do some guys use the 1322 to jig with? if so up to what size jig? just curious.thx.

I have used the 1322 for jigging and I have thrown 4oz and sometimes 4.5oz. The 4.5 is at the max limit I will throw and have to go easy with it but the 4oz can be thrown a mile (reel is a VS 250).

Mr. Sandman
01-09-2007, 06:19 PM
You guys have looked at this more closely then I have. I agree with mikeP's thinking and would probably lean to the 4500. ( I prefer lightness and don't need 500+ yards of braid)

I noticed on the "other site" which I rarely frequent, a few guys who bought them were disappointed and didn't think they worth the coin. But I have to tell you I really will only know if I try it out myself. I have listened to others (on the braid debate for example) and it wasn't unitl I tried them all on the same set up before i deciced what is best for "me".

One more thing, I know this seems like a step down but has any tried the "saltiga surf"..just by the name it seems like they are trageting our need.

t.orlando
01-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Z4500, 534$ including shipping from E-Bay. My VS is pretty much a back-up reel know. Love it

JoeP
01-09-2007, 07:36 PM
The new Saltiga Surf reels in my opinion are NO comparison to the Saltiga Z's, Van Staals, or even Shimano Stella's.

First, they are made of coated magnesium - much lighter but will seriously corrode if the coating on the reel is scratched up pretty good.

Second, they do NOT have sealed waterproof bodies like the Saltiga Z's. Neither do the Saltiga Blasts. Even the Shimano Stella's have more body seals than the Saltiga Surf reels and Saltiga Blasts. Those reels do have waterproof drags, but that feature can be found now even in some reels less than $200 and merely keeps the drag components inside the spool dry from the top of the spool down - but does not seal the internal parts of the reel.

Third, they have much fewer ball bearings to support critical parts of the reel.

The Saltiga Surf reels I think are made for "pure" casting but not the kind of surf-fishing that gets a reel very wet & scratched up sometimes by rocks and sand.

tlapinski
01-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Second, they do NOT have sealed waterproof bodies like the Saltiga Z's.

The saltiga is not sealed as orignally thought. Just ask the Daiwa service guy that worked on mine last year. The internals were rusted to crap after less than one season of use. I also hads to have the body replaced as I broke the foot off. I have owned mine for 2 seasons, and it has yet to last a full season for me. I have the 4500. I love/hate it. Better in all aspects than a VS except long term durability. I still have to send mine in this year to see why it died again. I boxed it up to return in September and sort of forgot about it as it was nothing more than a $700 paper weight once again. :crying:

Mike P
01-09-2007, 09:13 PM
There are people who jig the Canal with the 1322.

I'm not one of them ;)

In fact, I'm one of those who believes that the XRA 126 1MH is a much better all-around rod for Canal fishing. Even tho Lami rates it 4-6, I throw 2 (sometimes even 1-1/2) oz on it with no problems at all. With conventional, I might add.

If you're going to throw those 4 oz Hawgs or Guppys, or the Salty Sheriff, or any big plugs regularly, I think the 126 1MH is the better mousetrap. The 1322 is a nice plug stick--it just not my favorite of the two :huh:

chief10
01-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I have used the 1322 for jigging and I have thrown 4oz and sometimes 4.5oz. The 4.5 is at the max limit I will throw and have to go easy with it but the 4oz can be thrown a mile (reel is a VS 250).

thx. I only use the 1322 for 3oz plugs .1205 for eels ,swimming plugs and jigs to 3.5 ounce. 1261 for jigging up to 5.5.

lurch
01-10-2007, 08:17 AM
I only used the 1322 because the reel on my 126-1mh was having issues. Would I use the 1322 as a specific jigging stick no way.

The 1322 can launch a 3oz crippled gerring half way across the canal....that stick is amazing.

I have the saltiga blast and cannot find a use for it. When I go out to fish I always grab the VS because I do not have to worry about reel failing.

I do like the locking bail on the saltiga. Does anyone know if the new bailed VS locks down like the saltiga?

Back Beach
01-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Z4500, 534$ including shipping from E-Bay. My VS is pretty much a back-up reel know. Love it

Same here, but my VS got replaced with another saltiga Z4500. As for durability, don't go by what Toby says. The instructions on the box specifically say "do not scuba dive with this reel".:rtfm: :hee:

JoeP
01-10-2007, 09:22 AM
As for durability, don't go by what Toby says. The instructions on the box specifically say "do not scuba dive with this reel".:rtfm: :hee:

Yeah, I think Toby is one of those "reel-killer" fishermen. :kewl: :jester:

All I know is that in 3 years of using Saltiga's I've had zero problems with the reels - and that is after having reel problems every single year using Van Staal's, Finnor Ahab's, Shimano Stradics, and Penn's.

I don't swim with my reels or intentionally reel them while submerged, but the kind of fishing I do that my Saltiga's have performed flawlessly in gets reels wet enough often enough that it seized up the Finnor Ahab's and Stradics every year by the early Fall and even caused a few albeit minor problems with the Van Staals I had & sold.

Slipknot
01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Toby is a one man wrecking crew:smash: he trashes reels, breaks rods and destroys waders:nopain: :spin: I don't know how he maintains his stuff, but apparently he just uses it under water,on rocks, thru branches etc. :bl:

Is there really rust inside your saltiga Z Toby? rust means not everything is stainless or aluminum and that can't be can it :huh:

I love my 6000gt I use in the canal and on the beach, only thing about it on the beach is it doesn't have the clearance a VS has so sand can be an issue so don't drop it in the sand :doh: or just rinse it off if you do. The drag is better than any drag on anything else that I know of.

surfer247
01-10-2007, 11:45 AM
E-bay does'nt always have the best price,what you should do is google what you want and check out all the site that sell them and you can usually find a better price.I bought the aquaskinz dry hood on e-bay for 59.00 plus shipping and tax it came close to 70.00.then I googled it and found a few different places that sold the hood for 44.00 .so my advice to you is search google before you buy anything.

basswipe
01-10-2007, 05:57 PM
The new Saltiga Surf reels in my opinion are NO comparison to the Saltiga Z's, Van Staals, or even Shimano Stella's.

First, they are made of coated magnesium - much lighter but will seriously corrode if the coating on the reel is scratched up pretty good.

Second, they do NOT have sealed waterproof bodies like the Saltiga Z's. Neither do the Saltiga Blasts. Even the Shimano Stella's have more body seals than the Saltiga Surf reels and Saltiga Blasts. Those reels do have waterproof drags, but that feature can be found now even in some reels less than $200 and merely keeps the drag components inside the spool dry from the top of the spool down - but does not seal the internal parts of the reel.

Third, they have much fewer ball bearings to support critical parts of the reel.

The Saltiga Surf reels I think are made for "pure" casting but not the kind of surf-fishing that gets a reel very wet & scratched up sometimes by rocks and sand.

I'd heard the magnesium bodies were pretty delicate too.And the $700 real Saltigas aren't fully waterproof anyway.Waste 'O cash IMO.I can see having the money and buying a VS(not really) but the SaltigaZ and Stella...C'MON!!!

No wonder I still fish my ancient 704 and my old Spheros.They both have been fished hard and they still work flawlessly.I got no problem breaking down once a week to insure that trend continues,I actually enjoy the breakdown and cleaning.

nightfighter
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Same here, but my VS got replaced with another saltiga Z4500.

So, what are you and Tony gona be asking for your 'back-up' reels??? You have a 100 or 150 you aren't going to use???

tlapinski
01-10-2007, 06:22 PM
Is there really rust inside your saltiga Z Toby? rust means not everything is stainless or aluminum and that can't be can it :huh:

The rust was in the bearrings for sure, and maybe other places too. they did say the bearings were shot. Which I pretty much told them because it became louder than a dry 706.

I wouldn't say I abused the reel, but I did fish it the same way I do a VS or a fully greased up Z. Dunk it when needed, use the rod as a wading staff, crank the drag down when needed, etc...

Still looking for my perfect reel. :read:

lurch
01-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Still looking for my perfect reel. :read:
What is your perfect reel?

tlapinski
01-10-2007, 07:29 PM
Lurch, off the top of my head:

1 - last a whole season without crapping out (or see #5)
2 - handle braid
3 - must be waterproof
4 - if not waterproof, must not be damaged or loose effectiveness by repeated dunkings
5 - parts must be readily available and service be easily done by me in the event of some sort of unseen failure or issue
6 - infinite anti-reverse

I already broke a VS doing a home repair job and now need to be sent to OK, Daiwas need to be sent to CA to be fixed, and Z's need lots of maintenance to keep going night after night under water.

lurch
01-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Lurch, off the top of my head:

1 - last a whole season without crapping out (or see #5)
2 - handle braid
3 - must be waterproof
4 - if not waterproof, must not be damaged or loose effectiveness by repeated dunkings
5 - parts must be readily available and service be easily done by me in the event of some sort of unseen failure or issue
6 - infinite anti-reverse

I already broke a VS doing a home repair job and now need to be sent to OK, Daiwas need to be sent to CA to be fixed, and Z's need lots of maintenance to keep going night after night under water.

when you picking up a ZEE BAAS? :)

JoeP
01-10-2007, 08:43 PM
And the $700 real Saltigas aren't fully waterproof anyway.Waste 'O cash IMO.I can see having the money and buying a VS(not really) but the SaltigaZ and Stella...C'MON!!!

Well that's a pretty ignorant statement.

While I generally will respect someone'e well-thought out opinions yours is not that.

What is "value" in your opinion? Value to me is the fact that in 3 years of fishing Saltiga Z's and Shimano Stella's I have had ZERO reels problems. No reel seizures or luck-ups, no anti-reverse to corrode and fail causing the reel to reel backwards breaking your knuckles on a decent fish, no premature flipped bails causing losses of plugs, no casting issues with braid, no slipped drag while fighting a big fish, etc.

The Saltigas and Stellas eliminated all of these issues.

And as I said above the kind of fishing I do caused my prior reels - Finnor Ahab's, Penn Slammers, Shimano Stradics, a first generation Shimano Spheros, to do many of these things EVERY single year by early Fall. Even my former Van Staals had some minor issues by the Fall.

The total elimination of these issues is value to me. And just try fishing with the Saltiga Z's or Stella's - unbelievable reels. That is value to me.

Having to take down your reel every week? Is that worth it versus these reels. That is not value to me. If you miss a few break-downs having a reel fail on a big fish or after a long walk - that is not value to me.

I can go on and on.

ChiefLinesider
01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
let the wars begin

leptar
01-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I do like the locking bail on the saltiga. Does anyone know if the new bailed VS locks down like the saltiga?

yes and no...

The VSB150s bail locks open but you can spin the handle with ease... unlike the saltiga which you can still turn but has a rotor brake applied when the bail is opened...

Back Beach
01-11-2007, 02:35 PM
So, what are you and Tony gona be asking for your 'back-up' reels??? You have a 100 or 150 you aren't going to use???

I use one saltiga for 50#braid, and the other for 30#braid, depending on where I go. They both serve as primary and backup reels because I can interchange the spools if one breaks down.
The key with these reels, as with any reel, is to rinse them after you use them. As the investment is considerable, I've become much more conscientious with regard to maintaining my tackle nowadays, and it makes a big difference(obviously) in the performance.In the past my tackle only got rinsed if it was raining when I was driving home.

Cost wise, they are about $535 on ebay.Still cheaper than owning a boat, even if you have five of them.