View Full Version : Holy Moly

UserRemoved1
01-10-2007, 05:35 AM
http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070110/NEWS/701100680/1154/SUBURBS

Checkout that picture. Could you imagine a 60,000 lb machine being ripped off a trailer. The track stayed on the trailer with the gimbal

Glad I wasn't behind it or I may have had to clean the ol drawers :eek:

tynan19
01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Whoops! That can't be a good feeling knowing you have to call the boss.

Karl F
01-10-2007, 09:21 AM
OUCH.. I would imagine, there is a 26 year old truck driver, out job hunting today.....

UserRemoved1
01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
Takes ALOT of force to remove a machine like that from it's gimbal.

Rumor is that he didn't curl the bucket and stick back in and took off like that. Looks to be about a 215 or so model which isn't a overly big machine but still musta made one hell of a bang

Swimmer
01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Interestingly enough the bucket only has to be placed on the flatbed, not chained. The machine itself is supposed to chained to the flatbed from four different points and the chains cannot rise above a 45 degree angle. Two chains are acceptable though if stopped. I think your right about the job hunting Salty.

Oddly enough though I knew someone who did the exact same thing with a backhoe. His insurance compnay had the bridge surveyed and founf that due to resurfacing over the years the distance from the roads surface to the lowest part of the brdige was less than 13'6". Ticket was dismissed and the insurance company sued the state for damages to thier insured's equipment.

I know another guy, personel friend, who for whatever reason use a trailer different from the one he regularly transports his 410 CASE on and hit a bridge abutment, $220.000 his insurance company cancelled his policy.

Chris in Mass
01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I use that bridge as a shortcut - it is scary high when you look down to the pike. This isn't your normal overpass where 18 wheelers are clearing it by inches. The bucket must have been extended pretty far if it hit the overpass section.

UserRemoved1
01-11-2007, 05:26 AM
chris is that the big tall one that goes down at an incline? If so holy crow that guy is dead meat.

Chris in Mass
01-11-2007, 07:28 AM
Salty, I think that is the Park Hill Ave bridge in Millbury. You're right - that one is gi-normous. I thought the Brigham Hill bridge in Grafton involved in the incident was on par with that one. I took the bridge this morning. Closed signs all over the place, but they had one lane open with cops on each end at 6:00am. The height is more like halfway between the big one in Millbury and a typical minimum clearance overpass. Unfortunately, I still can't imagine that the machine/bucket stowing was off by a little, just clipping the bridge.

UserRemoved1
01-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Article today said FIVE beams were bent and twisted...not sure if they have to be replaced or not. That is some serious damage.

That guy's goose is in the fryer about now :hang:

vanstaal
01-11-2007, 07:20 PM
apparently it looked fine to him :err: :err:

NOT