View Full Version : good fishing, bad night

bebo113
06-27-2002, 01:35 AM
Hi everyone,
I went fishing tonight,caught and released several keepers.But a Striper caught me, Off gaurd that is. I had my favorite abu G. rod and reel fishing the bike path with my little women, when she got snagged So I put my rod between my knees to help her and a striper put his mouth on my hook and " :eek: there it was gone :eek:" rod and reel lost to the fishes. Pulled it out of my knees and over the rail in the blink of an eye:confused:.SO I picked up my box and said you ready togo.It was a long quiet ride home. But I'm over it now , and I have a a little story to tell the kids when there older.LIve and learn. don't let your gaurd down when fishing for stripers:

Homerun04
06-27-2002, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear it.......I own a few AB Garcia's and tears would be in my eyes if I dunked one.

Which bike path?

JohnR
06-27-2002, 07:02 AM
Bebo, it happens... If it's a spinner, light drag I guess and a conventional, think bait clicker with reel in free spool....

Of course, this rarely happens when plugging or eeling although I once was near-falling asleep standing up on the cape when a bass hit my barely moving eel and I was a little slow to react :eek5: - almost had it pulled out of my hand

Saltheart
06-27-2002, 07:17 AM
Sorry to hear it Bebo. It must have been a big fish to do that!

Fishpart
06-27-2002, 08:13 AM
Bebo, sorry for your loss the rod and the fish.

bloocrab
06-27-2002, 12:49 PM
...You may want to go back there tonight...

...tie on a weight: (2-3oz.) and go back and try to find the exact spot that it happened....cast out about 25-30 feet and slowly rake the bottom. Cast a little right, cast a little left. You'll be surprised that it didn't really go too far. I guess what happens is..once the rod hits bottom it lodges itself somewhere...and either the fish gets loose...or snaps the line.

Even if the reel isn't salvageable, the rod will be...but the reel may still be ok too, after a good cleaning ...

it doesn't hurt to try...

..NO JOKE...I've retreived quite a few rod and reel combos for people who were snoozin.. then loozin' ;)....most of them thought the fish dragged their stuff to the bottom of the ocean...but most of the time...you're not really fishing anything that deep. If you would have said it happened at the Cape Cod Canal...then faggettaboutit!!

...if you accomplish two things at once....go back and jig the bottom. That way you got a shot at catching a fish too!!!:D

Homerun04
06-27-2002, 03:13 PM
....or try a bunker snagging rig.....those suckers can grab anything of the bottom.....

Goose
06-27-2002, 07:19 PM
When I was a kid I retrieved my uncles rod and reel combo( a daiwa reel on a ugly stick) after it went over egde into the ditch (east end parking lot, cape side) w/ current I might add. I brought up the line on a snag hook after trying a few times.......wanna talk about a greatful uncle. "Ya never know Yo-Yo"

Homerun04
06-27-2002, 07:41 PM
If it really means that much to ya, I am a certified diver......few a few free secret fishing hole tips afterwards I'd be tempted to dive down and retrieve the set-up for ya....how deep was the water you dunked it in?

bebo113
06-29-2002, 02:47 AM
thanks for the advice guys
but I think the current is to strong to retreive my rod It happened on the bike path bridge on the barrington warren line. one night my girl and I saw a rope drifting in the current aways off and it kept getting closer and closer it took about 45 minutes to drift a 100 ft or so and when I could finally reach it and pull it up hoping for a great find it was a 15 lb anchor. so the water is pretty quick but thanks for the great idea's if it ever happens again