View Full Version : Van Staal Plug Bag- FYI

luds
01-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I was considering giving the new Van Staal double row bag a shot because it seems to have lighter tubes than the skinz bag. The tubes look less durable but I think that's too be expected with the decrease in weight.

Anyway, I called to inquire about the cost of replacing the tubes and it's $63 and change.:confused:

WTF. I've never complained about the price of my VS reels and won't but 63 bucks for some plastic inserts.:huh: C'mon.:wall:

Figured I give you guys a heads up before purchasing one.

Score another one for the Skinz single row. That's all I'll be using.

vanstaal
01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
canyon make a good bag ?? iIwas thinking the same thing its kind of cheaply made the VS bag

luds
01-16-2007, 03:01 PM
canyon make a good bag ?? iIwas thinking the same thing its kind of cheaply made the VS bag

I think you could be in trouble if you take a spill with the canyon bag. It doesn't have the amount of velcro or the buckle like the skinz.

I was only considering the VS bag because sometimes I feel like I need a little more space than the single row skinz bag. I know 5 tubes is all i should need but I like to carry alot of plugs. The skinz double row is just a little to heavy for me to keep over my shoulder when I'm pluggin. It is definately the best made bag. I've had mine for 3 seasons.

GattaFish
01-16-2007, 03:05 PM
I was in Lowes the other day and they had these florescent bulb covers that were 6ft+ long clear plastic tubes I was thinking of chopping up for a plug bag ,,, they were not super heavy but might be ok,,,,,,, You might want to check them out next time your in a Lowes near you,,,,,, under $10,,,,

The Dad Fisherman
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Got this tip off this site earlier......Central Vacuum Tubing. They sell it at some Homey's and it only $4 an 8 foot section....more durable than the Flo light tubes but not as thick as the PVC pipe

spence
01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
If you're interested, I've got one of the two row Canyon bags in excellent condition that I've attached a buckle strap around so it locks closed like the Aquaskinz bag. Mostly used to store plugs in my car, I didn't really use it in the surf.

And it now belongs to MAC :)

-spence

Mugz
01-16-2007, 03:12 PM
Yes, I have seen the stuff (and used it).......Same isle they sell the shop vacs. Thin stuff and stronger than clear flimsy plastic. The Central Vac tubing

jim sylvester
01-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Got this tip off this site earlier......Central Vacuum Tubing. They sell it at some Homey's and it only $4 an 8 foot section....more durable than the Flo light tubes but not as thick as the PVC pipe

good stuff, build your own

t.orlando
01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
I swap the heavy tubes out for the thin/lite ones.

Rockport24
01-16-2007, 03:56 PM
that's almost as bad as $20 for a telephone cord lanyard that you can make at home for $3

vanstaal
01-16-2007, 04:02 PM
i have trouble with my long needles fish which bag do u guys suggests
that will take care of them sticking out ?

luds
01-16-2007, 04:07 PM

I was thinking about making my own. How do you close off the bottom of the tubes so plugs don't get stuck?

I was going to stick the vs tubes in the skinz bag if they fit. I figured the insert would be cheap.

pops
01-16-2007, 04:09 PM
I ordere the square lure storage tubes from nj tackle ...clear tape them together ...punch drain holes and done $ 1 per tube..they expand so you can easily play around with double entries lol [ gotta take this & this and thiiis !!:rotfl: ] the inserts i originally recieved with my surfcaster bag were to heavy...for me:doh:

they can crack after a season but for a WHOLE $1 so what.

PaulS
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I was thinking about making my own. How do you close off the bottom of the tubes so plugs don't get stuck?

Duct tape - plugs won't fall thru and water still drains out.

jim sylvester
01-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Duct tape - plugs won't fall thru and water still drains out.

1002 used for deuct tape

luds
01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
I ordere the square lure storage tubes from nj tackle ...clear tape them together ...punch drain holes and done $ 1 per tube..they expand so you can easily play around with double entries lol [ gotta take this & this and thiiis !!:rotfl: ] the inserts i originally recieved with my surfcaster bag were to heavy...for me:doh:

they can crack after a season but for a WHOLE $1 so what.

I was going to go with the nj tubes but they are a little too small.

luds
01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Seems like vmc hooks would get stuck in duct tape pretty easily but if it works for you guys I guess I'll give it a shot.

The Dad Fisherman
01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
You can get the little red caps that they use for the mailer tubes and pop them in or you can go with the end-caps that they use for PVC Plumbing

End Caps (http://www.packagingprice.com/forms/product_listing.cfm?CategoryID=10093&desc=Extra+End+Caps)

PVC End Caps (http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/180.aspx)

Terence
01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Shimano Blue Wave Surf bag is very nice.

pops
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
how big do you neeed ?

basswipe
01-16-2007, 04:58 PM
A lot of good stuff being said about the Shimano bag.
http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=25343743020 44752&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1168984418492
The price is right anyways.

I just take a BW bag shore it up with some extra Velcro and/or sew on a buckle.

Paying over a bill for a surfbag?Not for me.All it really needs to do is hold the plugs and keep them from falling out while providing drainage.

luds
01-16-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't like the flap on that Shimano bag. Lose that and they have a winner.

Pops,

You might be right about the nj tubes. I thought they were much shorter than the skinz tuves but they might only be a quarter inch shorter. I have a couple tubes I home that I can compare.

Pete F.
01-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Joe Lyons has some new bags, hav'nt seen them in person but rumours are that they are nice.
You can take the vac tubing and glue it together with PVC cement Then glue a piece of plexi to the bottom and burn some holes in it.
There are also the polycarbonate tubes that the BW bags have in them available somewheres on the net, I did some research once when I was going to make my own bag and then said fugedaboudit and got a skinz.
I think a clever fellow could make a belt holder for long needles out of a piece of PVC downspout, some wood, a little this and that. Would hold those one footers...

luds
01-16-2007, 05:19 PM
Joe Lyons has some new bags, hav'nt seen them in person but rumours are that they are nice.

Those bags are great for the money but once again the closure is an issue. Needs more velcro IMO.

Pete_G
01-16-2007, 05:30 PM
The new Precision Paks are nice. The SWE has had them for a while, but I don't know anyone who has put a season or even half a season on them yet.

They're untested, as far as I know, at this point.

In The Surf
01-16-2007, 05:46 PM
Those bags are great for the money but once again the closure is an issue. Needs more velcro IMO.

The closure is not an issue. That was addressed before he started carrying them. They have just as much if not more velcro as Aquaskinz and VS. They don't get any more secure than that.

luds
01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
The closure is not an issue. That was addressed before he started carrying them. They have just as much if not more velcro as Aquaskinz and VS. They don't get any more secure than that.

If you're talking about this bag I disagree. There is much mess velcro on these bags from what I've seen. I had one in my hands last weekend.

http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SRIOTS&Product_Code=OS1&Category_Code=LB

Do you use them?

NIB
01-16-2007, 06:21 PM
The bag in the link looks like the single row..
I have seen 3 different sizes of the precison pks bags..Very nice.If I didn't have a Large AS bag a single row VS bag Several canyon bags a Plano bag a VS Coastal bag i would get one..
The big bag comes with 2 plano type boxes,smaller ones that fit in front of the tubes..
Seemed like a real nice bag..Plenty of velcro..Mesh pockest on the side I would probably cut off as mesh can be a pita with hooks..
There's lots of room in there if u take the plano boxes out..
Cost less then the tube replacemnts. for the VS bag..'
As u can tell I have a few bags I change the inserts from one to the next from time to time..
My AS bag is one of the first models.There was no room along side the insert for anything. I like to jam that area with plastics an stuff so I switched it out with a old canyon bag insert..
There is a mailing tube company that makes the tubes the same type tubes that are in the coastal bags..There nice heavy material..Drill a million very small holes in the botton of the tubes..Silicone em together with a wrap of clear plastic mailing tape to hold together while the glue dries..
Small holes don't get hook points in em lots of holes drain the water..
At home fishing sometimes I find it easier to have a nightime bag an a daytime bag..
U can ease this if u make another set of inserts...

Joe
01-16-2007, 06:37 PM
The Prec Pak bags now have a 3" wide velcro strip the length of the flap - they did not originally - I did not get them until late in the year but I tell ya - they look really good for the money. They are about the same price as Canyon - but 3X better.
The large bag - for some reason they put two rows of plug tubes and then two Plano boxes - but I'm going to ask the guy about just putting three rows of tubes...

luds
01-16-2007, 06:46 PM
The Prec Pak bags now have a 3" wide velcro strip the length of the flap - they did not originally - I did not get them until late in the year but I tell ya - they look really good for the money. They are about the same price as Canyon - but 3X better.
The large bag - for some reason they put two rows of plug tubes and then two Plano boxes - but I'm going to ask the guy about just putting three rows of tubes...

I would love to see that bag without the plano boxes. Like Nib said the medium bag could stand to lose the mesh on the side.

In The Surf
01-16-2007, 06:55 PM
If you're talking about this bag I disagree. There is much mess velcro on these bags from what I've seen. I had one in my hands last weekend.

http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SRIOTS&Product_Code=OS1&Category_Code=LB

Do you use them?

As posted this was addressed for the SRI bags. Don't know where you looked at them but Joe brought this up and told the owner that this needed to be improved for him to carry the bags and for serious surfcasters to consider them.

Yes I have one, got it late last year so I can't give a full review as of it but I will say it offers the best bang for the buck out there. Far better than Canyon or BW for about the same $.

riverrat2
01-16-2007, 06:59 PM
I had the large BW bag for 3 seasons. For 40 bucks it did its job. The only complaint was the stupid mesh pocket on the side. I got 3 plugs so tangled in that one night I almost donated the whole back to the bottom of the ocean. After that I went home and cut the hole mesh thing off. It was a solid bag for the money but I got a small aquaskinz bag at the end of the season and thats all I use now. There is no need to bring more than 5 plugs out to fish with you. Most of the time the plugs don't get touched anyways.

Pete_G
01-16-2007, 07:01 PM
The next trick with Velcro is does it last? Just having a lot isn't enough, does it still hold shut with the same grip later in the year?

Good velcro can last decades. Bad velcro struggles to go more then a season.

NIB
01-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Velcro..It's amzing stuff. I wonder how I was ever able to fish without it..
Kinda like Cell Phones..
I don't mean fishing with cell phones.
I mean 20 yrs ago I managed fine without em..
Now it never leaves my side..
I used to use one of them army type bags with the buckle strap.
Then i had my girlfriend sew a starp on one of my canyon bags..

luds
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I had the large BW bag for 3 seasons. For 40 bucks it did its job. The only complaint was the stupid mesh pocket on the side. I got 3 plugs so tangled in that one night I almost donated the whole back to the bottom of the ocean. After that I went home and cut the hole mesh thing off. It was a solid bag for the money but I got a small aquaskinz bag at the end of the season and thats all I use now. There is no need to bring more than 5 plugs out to fish with you. Most of the time the plugs don't get touched anyways.

I agree that you only need a few plugs at a time but I get alot of enjoyment from having more than a few with me. For instance if I catch 5 fish on 5 casts with a pencil I might switch to a spook to see if I can get them on that. Then I follow it up with a danny or maybe a popper. Also need room for the finnish swimmers, darter, and needles I needed before it got light out. That's more than 5 already.

BassNuts
01-16-2007, 07:36 PM

Canyon SB-101...third season with it and everything is fine...$59.00 too (found mine on sale for $45)

In The Surf
01-16-2007, 08:12 PM

BTW after you open the link if you click on "click here for additional image" you get a good view of the velcro closure.

Clogston29
01-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I was considering giving the new Van Staal double row bag a shot because it seems to have lighter tubes than the skinz bag. The tubes look less durable but I think that's too be expected with the decrease in weight.

Anyway, I called to inquire about the cost of replacing the tubes and it's $63 and change.:confused:

WTF. I've never complained about the price of my VS reels and won't but 63 bucks for some plastic inserts.:huh: C'mon.:wall:

Figured I give you guys a heads up before purchasing one.

Score another one for the Skinz single row. That's all I'll be using.

the bag that your girl carries cost you alot more than that :hihi:
what does skinz want for an extra set of tubes?

luds
01-16-2007, 09:47 PM
BTW after you open the link if you click on "click here for additional image" you get a good view of the velcro closure.

I know it is being picky but the velcro should go to the top of the bag. if you put oversize plugs that stick out of the tube you can barely attach the velcro.

luds
01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
the bag that your girl carries cost you alot more than that :hihi:
what does skinz want for an extra set of tubes?

you should see the new bag.:rotf2: not sure about aquaskinz tubes but hopefully not as much.

Finaddict
01-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Yeah, those look like pretty short plugs, Dave, have you fished big plugs in your bag last season?

luds
01-16-2007, 10:16 PM
Yeah, those look like pretty short plugs, Dave, have you fished big plugs in your bag last season?

the plugs in the precision pack pic are large but if you want to put mulitiple plugs in a bag without getting to tangeled you have to hang them like the aqua skinz bag below.

We're over anylizing. The precision pack is good for the price. The Aquaskinz bag is better. Time to step away from the computer.:doh:

DZ
01-17-2007, 07:46 AM
I have used plastic shampoo bottles as plug tubes for years - very light in weight and they last a few seasons. You'll always have new ones available (as long as you keep washing your hair). I cut the tops off and poke a few holes in the bottom for drainage. I'll post a few photos tonight.

DZ

luds
01-17-2007, 07:56 AM
I have used plastic shampoo bottles as plug tubes for years - very light in weight and they last a few seasons. You'll always have new ones available (as long as you keep washing your hair). I cut the tops off and poke a few holes in the bottom for drainage. I'll post a few photos tonight.

DZ

cool....thanks

chris L
01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I have a ton of shampoo bottles that work great for plug bags . If anyone wants some let me know .

In The Surf
01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
I know it is being picky but the velcro should go to the top of the bag. if you put oversize plugs that stick out of the tube you can barely attach the velcro.

I hear ya Mike.

Though it's hard to tell from the photo where the velcro ends is the top of the front pocket (additional pocket) for leaders and stuff. It has a long flap and that area of velcro is double wide to give additinal clearance and the ability to close higher if necessary. It can handle most of what we would carry but once you get to plugs 9" or greater they'll stick out of most any bag. What I do at that point with whatever bag I'm using is put them in the end tube towards my back so the plug protrudes but the flap can close flush. The bags with the inner flaps are nice in those instances.

No Andy I didn't use it with any large plugs in it last year.

Like Tony I have bags by VS, Aquaskinz, Canyon, Plano and the Ocean Shield Precision Pak.

For the money it appears to be a winner.

And yes we are over analyzing this.

luds
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
I have a ton of shampoo bottles that work great for plug bags . If anyone wants some let me know .

If you're trying to make an Adam Sandler referance that's just sick. :yak5:

Rock Hopper
01-18-2007, 10:34 AM
It seems companies can't stop copying the AquaSkinz designs and features :nailem: :uhuh:

Precision Pak is another of those companies that went around and asked which bags, what features etc. and they were told AquaSkinz......:chatter So they took a lot of the features and put them into production. :cool:

AquaSkinz took a mule and made it into a stallion and now everyone just rides our coat tails. Remember there is nothing like the original. Plus, they will be changing there designs due to the many similarities to the AquaSkinz bags. This comes from a trusted and knowledgable source.

Another important note, AquaSkinz will be much more competitive going forward. We have negotiated hard and have new agreements in place with much better pricing and the same quality you have come to expect. These will benefit the consumer in the end. :kewl: Look for the changes this coming season.

Thanks as always for your support, we look forward to seeing many of you during the upcoming shows.

Kadir

bart
01-18-2007, 11:45 AM
:yawn:

are the dry tops still gonna tear at the seams after minimal use? :hs:

Rock Hopper
01-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Bart,

Like anything else if proper precautions, care & directions aren't taken, things will break or fail. Gaskets & seals tearing or ripping isn't that uncommon, it happens in every brand and on all types of materials; whether they are latex or neoprene.

These types of jackets being somewhat new to the fishing industry make the occurences seem as though they are more than they actually are. Plus many of the users are still learning the proper ways to put on and take off the jackets without causing damage. I've said this before, we have a very low rate of return due to these issues compared to the industry standards.

If you want to avoid any damage, read the instructions found on the jackets themselves or go the AquaSkinz web site, there are instructions there as well.

Regards!

Kadir

bart
01-18-2007, 12:30 PM
we've heard this song and dance before. people don't know how to take them on and off, no one reads the label, you can't treat a porsche like a chevy, blah blah blah

the fact is a $200+ product shouldn't fail after minimal use.

zimmy
01-18-2007, 12:32 PM
It seems companies can't stop copying the AquaSkinz designs and features :nailem: :uhuh:

Kadir

It is that thing about the greatest form of flattery is imitation. I got one of you're medium bags this past season and I know why it is being copied; it is basically perfect.

Rock Hopper
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Bart,

You are right, it has become a repetitive statement but it is true! Just like a high end rod rated to throw 2 oz's breaking 6 inches from the tip, while the caster throws 5, that is also attributed to manufacturing right? Just one example and yes, this has been said countless times too! There is a reason why manufacturers provide these important pieces of information. It is up to us to follow them or risk the consequences.

Zimmy, thanks for the compliment! I wish they would stop flattering us though and come up with their own idea's.

luds
01-18-2007, 01:09 PM
we've heard this song and dance before. people don't know how to take them on and off, no one reads the label, you can't treat a porsche like a chevy, blah blah blah

I had basically the same negative feeling about AquaSkinz and a product that had failed but chose to contact them before just complaining about it on-line. I can understand why you think that a $200+ jacket shouldn't have any problems but think you would be surprised at the service you would receive if you took the time to send them an e-mail.

Basically they did everything I could have asked for and contacted me shortly after I received my items back to make sure I was happy with everything.

If you look at other dry tops, they all have similar problems. I look at them like waders. Even though they are expensive they are somewhat prone to failure at some point.

JohnR
01-18-2007, 01:31 PM

DZ

And if you gget the bottles with the short necks, cut the bottom of the bottle off and trim the cap down. You get your drain hole, a small narrowing at the bottom of the "tube", and fairly resistant to breaking. Now that I'm thinking about it, one of those skinnier but wide ones might be perfect for needles :hee:

I agree and disagree. I can go out with almost every $200 reel and get it to fail enough when fished hard in the salt. I have 3 years (3.5?) fishing my Hurricane and probably wore 150 times and the only problems with it have been self induced. Yeh, I'm going to retape a couple things and maybe destinkafy it but it has been solid. And my body type can, err, stress fabric we'll just say :hihi: . My EVO 2 has 1.5 years on it and it is still OK, no tears. But I take it off my skinny frame like as if it were delicate silk, I don't wear my watch, and I'm just easy with it. I have seen people semi trash drytops by ripping them on & off and I see people more often than not rough on all of these tops (Simms, Skinz, whatever) and none of them are going to last under this AND be sealable that I've seen.

Now I have seen some problems, like on the early gen gloves ripping (mine did) and I had to get some new ones (and I was being a delicate little flower :poke: ). But like many things, Generation 1 devices are rarely perfect and get better as they are tweaked. One thing I think most will agree on is that Aquaskinz does continually improve on their product.

Yeh, Skinz is a sponsor on S-B but I'm making this statement on what I've done and what I've seen, not because who is a sponsor or not. My Hurricane is one of my top 5 favorite fishing products, the Evo may or may not make the top 10 (unless I'm waqding deep).

cheferson
01-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Simms top held up way better, less $$$ too

bart
01-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Luds- i have heard different stories from people about "feedback" they've received from Aquaskinz when complaining about the product. not worth the hassle to me. i'm glad it worked out for you though....

BTW, i know how to put my top on and take it off. it was rinsed religiously after being used as well. still, after 3 trips the seams came undone and the top started to fray. 200 dollar waders don't fall apart in a matter of days....