View Full Version : StarBucks coffee

Raven
01-17-2007, 06:55 AM
Now there's a real way to spend your money at $4.00 dollars and up per cup of Java....

but guess what.... they are going to switch now to milk that has no more hormones in it.... YIPPie !! :happy:

oh man i've been waiting so long to hear that.... :uhuh:

actually i've never required my whores to moan....just hum. :smokin:

UserRemoved1
01-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I have never ever seen what people see in their coffee, every time I've had it on the road it's tasted like crap...usually don't end up finishing the cup and throwing it away...blech :yak5:

BigFish
01-17-2007, 07:39 AM
I wouldn't drink that dreck if it was free!:yak:

fishpoopoo
01-17-2007, 08:20 AM
i love starbucks.

i hate to admit it, but i'm omnivorous when it comes to coffee.

i don't splurge on $5.00 lattes every day (unless someone else is buying :hihi: ) but the regular mild or bold coffee is pretty good if you like a stronger brew than dunkin donuts from time to time, and the price is more like $1.75 +/- for a large cup. and you never know if 7/11 is scooping their water out of the toilet.

with the prices of beans up so much, there's really not that huge of a difference between starbucks and dd brewed coffee - price is reasonable.

i get the feeling you guys just don't like the latte-sipping-laptop-toting-raised-pinky-yuppie $hithead crowd. can't blame ya.

ever walk into a 24/7 starbucks with wet waders or camo/doe pee on? I have. :laughs:

RIROCKHOUND
01-17-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm the same way.. I was anti 'bucks forever, then someone bought me an ice-coffee; expensive but not watered down tasting like DD
as far as regular coffee a medium is under 2 and you get some variety in roast/flavor. That and that staff generally is friendly, young and decent looking :D
They are over priced on pastries, lattes and all that crap but for plain black coffee..

Now if they only had free Wi-fi

goosefish
01-17-2007, 09:06 AM
I'm hooked on it. I had to get rid of my YMCA membership just to keep the habit flowing. It's sad being a junkie, pathetic really.

RIROCKHOUND
01-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah... thats why you quit the gym...
P-ssy :D

stripersnipr
01-17-2007, 09:54 AM
The Starbucks secret to success is addiction. One cup of Starbucks per day for three days = dependency. At $1.70 per "Traditional Grande" (Medium Black) it beats the $hit out of D&D.

GattaFish
01-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I have been lots of places and had lots of coffee,,,, even from the Very first Starbucks in Seattle.... And still their coffee is just ok,,,, I is so overpriced and still not thought very highly of in Seattle... The secret is addiction, marketing and peoples habit patterns...

The very BEST coffee I ever had was at the airport in Managua Nicaragua one night when I ended up there and had to buy $16,000.00 of jet fuel to get back to the U.S.,,, At 3:00am they insisted on sharing some coffee that was made by an old women with some home roasted beans ground in front of my eyes. ,, I will never forget it,,,, It was black,, no bitter taste ,, very smooth and left a nice flavor in your mouth afterwards...

fishpoopoo
01-17-2007, 10:32 AM
i tend to base my decision to buy starbucks or dd on convenience - if there are both near by i'll hit starbucks but if there's only d.d. i'll go for that.

fwiw, starbucks is remarkably consistent.

can't say the same about d.d., where the coffee can be watered down.

not a pastry/donut guy anymore, so all i care about is da coffee.

whenever i'm on the mass pike, i go out of my way to hit the rest stations that have lavazza coffee - oh my God that stuff is out of this world.

Raven
01-17-2007, 10:46 AM
sounds like lala land

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/ravenob1/squirels-field.jpg

BigFish
01-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Coffee watered down??? Its coffee damn it! The main ingredient is water!:wall:

Karl F
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
:hihi:... Coffee.....

Give it up.. Quit it...

Seriously, you will not believe, how much better you feel overall, once you detox from it.. well worth it. :uhuh:

BigFish
01-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Actually thinking about giving it up Karl...mostly because I take alot of cream in mine! ALOT!:gu:

gone fishin
01-17-2007, 12:43 PM
How the heck can you tell bad coffee from good coffee when you dump two or three sugars and a few ounces of what they call cream in it? It could be dredged from the bilge and you couldn't tell the difference.:hang:

I think the only way to discriminate between good Java and bad Java is to drink it black............just my opinion.:doh: :doh:

Rockport24
01-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm a coffee fanatic, but I don't like the starbucks brewed coffee, not that it tastes bad, it's pretty good actually, but it gives me the jitters everytime. Now I can drink a bunch of espresso and not get the jittrs, but something about starbucks, I think they infuse it with extra caffeine

fishpoopoo
01-17-2007, 04:26 PM
yeah, it gives me the jitters too, which is part of its attraction.

a while back i went to an SBUX investor presentation. i asked a company exec what gave you more caffeine bang for yer buck ... he said a simple cup of brewed coffee has more caffeine than a double espresso. :spin:

UserRemoved1
01-18-2007, 06:08 AM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/C/CHINA_PALACE_STARBUCKS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-01-17-23-57-07

vanstaal
01-18-2007, 06:21 AM
I'm the same way.. I was anti 'bucks forever, then someone bought me an ice-coffee; expensive but not watered down tasting like DD
as far as regular coffee a medium is under 2 and you get some variety in roast/flavor. That and that staff generally is friendly, young and decent looking :D
They are over priced on pastries, lattes and all that crap but for plain black coffee..

Now if they only had free Wi-fi
yea I seen u there :liquify:
u know where I stand. Honeydew's the best:wiggle: :wiggle:

striperondafly
01-18-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm a coffee fanatic, but I don't like the starbucks brewed coffee, not that it tastes bad, it's pretty good actually, but it gives me the jitters everytime. Now I can drink a bunch of espresso and not get the jittrs, but something about starbucks, I think they infuse it with extra caffeine

me too - I drink alot of coffee and can't stand Starbucks. I get the shakes too, which makes me think its super caffinated. I can drink ten cups of brewed coffee without any shakes

RIROCKHOUND
01-18-2007, 07:46 AM
I know woody.. busted :D

Clogston29
01-18-2007, 08:29 AM
First off, I love starbucks coffee. Its stronger (in taste and caffeine) because they use more coffee (2 Tsp per 6 oz) than most other coffees (1 - 1.5 Tsp per 6 oz I think). This is coming from my father in law who works in catering management so take it for what its worth, I can't necessarily vouche for the info. I found this quote online:

"Two tablespoons per 6 oz cup is awfully strong, unless you really, really want to make yourself a brutal, bitter, caffeine-monster of a drink.

If there are 15 grams to a (flat) tablespoon, for instance, and the SCAA standard is 10 grams per 6 oz drink, then a typical mug of coffee (i.e. 12 oz) will need 20 grams of grounds -- or one heaping tablespoon of ground coffee."

Also, I was talking to a manager at seattle's best (which is better than starbucks and I think owned by starbucks) and he told me that starbucks uses really cheap coffee beans and just roastes the crap out of them to get the stronger taste. That may have something to do with the caffeine content also.

Finaddict
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
We have some great coffee shops in my town, including Starbucks and they are all yuppie focused ... one time coming off the beach, I dragged Tattoo Bob there kicking and screaming - he refused to come in while I loaded up on an assortment of assorted caffene products - but in the end he still drank it.

One of Julie's brothers, who lives in Burlington VT, thinks DD is too weak so he adds tea bags to his coffee to get the extra kick, I have not spoken to him about the Espresso shot that they started to advertise, but I cannot imagine how coffee, espresso and tea would mix together :yak5: :spin: ... that's serious caffene buzz though ... just grab the pepto to have on hand when you drink it.

Swimmer
01-18-2007, 12:02 PM
If you dont drink it black its not coffee. After two or three cups of black joe you'll never put cream or sugar in it again.

How many of you drink a regular coffee in the morning after a night out imbibing in the grape? And start to get nauseous half way through the coffee. Its the cream and sugar stirring up whats left of the alcohol in your system making your body ill.

fishpoopoo
01-18-2007, 12:15 PM
on a related subject matter ... :devil2: :sick:

Nicotine in U.S. cigarettes rising, Harvard study finds
Story Highlights• Amount of nicotine that smokers inhale rose by 11 percent from 1998 to 2005
• Nicotine yields rose in cigarettes from each of the four major manufacturers
• Harvard researchers analyzed cigarette makers' data sent to state health officials

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- The amount of nicotine that smokers typically inhale per cigarette rose by 11 percent from 1998 to 2005, perpetuating a "tobacco pandemic" that makes it harder for smokers to quit, a Harvard study said on Thursday.

Harvard School of Public Health researchers analyzed data submitted by major cigarette brands to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, which in August released its own study showing nicotine levels steadily rising.

The amount of nicotine that smokers typically consume per cigarette regardless of brand per year rose by an average of 1.6 percent between 1998 and 2005, according to the Harvard analysis of the state's health records.

Massachusetts has required tobacco companies to submit annual reports on cigarette nicotine yields since 1997, longer than any U.S. state.

"Cigarettes are finely tuned drug delivery devices designed to perpetuate a tobacco pandemic," said Howard Koh, the school's associate dean for public health practice and former Massachusetts commissioner of public health.

To boost amounts of nicotine inhaled by smokers, cigarette makers intensified the concentration of nicotine in their tobacco and modified cigarette designs to increase the number of puffs per cigarette, the Harvard researchers said.

"The end result is a product that is potentially more addictive," the study said.

Nicotine yields rose in cigarettes of each of the four major manufacturers and across all major cigarette market categories -- from mentholated and non-mentholated to full-flavored, light and ultralight, the study said.

Tobacco industry officials were not immediately available to comment. Phillip Morris, part of Altria Group Inc and the largest cigarette maker, has said nicotine levels fluctuate from year to year but there has been no steady increase.

Tougher scrutiny urged
The most recent federal tobacco tax figures showed that the number of cigarettes sold in the United States fell in 2005 to the lowest level in 55 years, dropping 4.2 percent from 2004, the largest one-year percentage decrease since 1999.

That continued an eight-year decline in cigarette smoking since the 1998 Master Settlement Agreement between U.S. states and the tobacco industry that settled state lawsuits over the costs of treating smoking-related illnesses.

"Our findings call into serious question whether the tobacco industry has changed at all in its pursuit of addicting smokers since signing the Master Settlement Agreement," said Gregory Connolly, director of the Harvard School of Public Health's Tobacco Control Research Program.

He said tobacco companies had failed to warn consumers about rising levels of nicotine since the 1998 settlement, urging U.S. states to step up scrutiny of the industry.

The major companies that signed the agreement are Philip Morris, a unit of Altria Group Inc.; R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Holdings Inc.; British American Tobacco Plc's Brown & Williamson unit; and Lorillard, which trades as Carolina Group and is part of Loews Corp.

The study received funding from the American Legacy Foundation and the National Cancer Institute.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention considers cigarette smoking the leading preventable cause of death in the United States. About 440,000 people die each year from lung cancer and other diseases related to tobacco use.

sok
01-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Coffee watered down??? Its coffee damn it! The main ingredient is water!:wall:

98%

Rockport24
01-19-2007, 04:26 PM
yeah, it gives me the jitters too, which is part of its attraction.

a while back i went to an SBUX investor presentation. i asked a company exec what gave you more caffeine bang for yer buck ... he said a simple cup of brewed coffee has more caffeine than a double espresso. :spin:

yeah, everybody thinks espresso has so much caffeine in it, but the reality is it doesn't, it's just richer tasting coffe, more caffeine has nothing to do with it. Try substituting your morning dunks or regular american coffee with espresso and you'll see what I mean. Either that, or go to Italy and see how slow everybody's moving in the morning compared to here.

Slingah
01-19-2007, 05:49 PM
If you dont drink it black its not coffee. After two or three cups of black joe you'll never put cream or sugar in it again.

2nd that frank.....once you go black you'll never go back
you can't tell what it tastes like with cream and sugar
drinking DD coffee black is HORRIBLE most of the time...never the same
Starbucks is constant and pretty good...like others said..plain ol' cup of joe isnt that much more than DD....ferget those lattes and such..they are for dessert anyhoo

labrax
01-19-2007, 07:55 PM
I have used a coffee press for years. Makes a great cup of coffee. I have the 4 cup model, which actually makes about 2 travel mug size coffees. It is very easy to make - you put in 4 heaping scoops of coarse ground coffee (about a quick 16 count in the grinder) and then fill up with water that you heat up in the teapot, saucepan, etc. Stir and put the top plunger on and then sit for 4 minutes. When the time is up - press the plunger down, which traps the grounds and pour the coffee out. Here is what they look like: http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=19&HID=1548&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=VJ3AFS1T29389NG3WVHUC0FXJNSC5MNE