View Full Version : wrapping asbestos pipes

goosefish
01-17-2007, 09:16 AM
Can I wrap the pipes in my basement with ducktape? Or is there a better kind of tape to do this with?

Swimmer
01-17-2007, 01:30 PM
You actually have asbestos wrapped pipes in your basement? Wow. Good luck with em.

UserRemoved1
01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Goose if you got asbestos on your pipes DO NOT touch them. The dust is so small you can't see it and is a cumulative risk factor.

Nasty stuff...

Sluggoslinger
01-17-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm dealing with some now at one of my properties in cambridge... 35,000 to get it removed...

If you need an Asbestos Abatement company shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out.

Diamond Tackle
01-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Do NOT use duct tape,or disturb it in any way.By moving it around you will cause cracks and the powder/fibers will get airborne. You dont want that. esp if its crumbling and you see dust on the ground below like in a low traffic arrea, dont touch it. If its intact and still wrapped you can wrap it some more with plaster,like a cast is done. I have never done this myslef and would not recommend it, but have seen it done,a very gentle and slow operation with safety equipment, and its cheaper in the short run. U can then spray paint it or encase it by other means, and may get away with that a few more years, IF your Bank allows it. When its time to sell however, or even refinance they probably will want it removed, so its inevitable. Do not even think about removing(abating) it yourself. I would rather smoke 5 packs of cigs a day for 20 years than mess with that stuff. In nyc now they do asbestos tests everytime they touch a job, even working on a roof where there is none .

Sluggoslinger
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Check out Diversified Environmental to at least get an idea of what you got. One of their guys brian is a big fisherman. He might help you out for some plugs or something...

goosefish
01-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Sounds like a good time. Not a job for the high-speed grinder, and a piece of mosquito netting draped across the face.