View Full Version : Baking jigs ??'s

Goose
01-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Is there a significant difference in the finish hardness of jigs that are baked vs ones that aren't?

Will a small toaster oven work?

If I bake them in my wifes cooking oven will thanksgiving dinner taste funny? Has anyone got away with that?

Whats the best temp and how long?

ect. ect.

Thanks in advance for any info.

tper
01-17-2007, 03:10 PM
The baking is for powder painting correct? If so no issues with smelling after do it all the time.. Just make sure Wife will be out for
the day :) ---- As far as small toaster oven - never used it but I bet it will work.....

chief10
01-17-2007, 03:15 PM
do-it-molds has good info. on their website. I wouldn't put lead in momma's oven.

Rockfish9
01-17-2007, 03:20 PM
I use a toaster oven, you only want enough heat to cure the paint...

Nebe
01-17-2007, 03:36 PM
i preheat for 20 minutes at 450, dip in powder, hang all on a rack so they are all cool, then 10 minutes at 450- hard as nails.

dont use an oven that you eat out of please.

chris L
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
most definately dont use your cooking oven . buy a cheap toaster oven to use specifically for this and other nonfood items .

Saltheart
01-17-2007, 05:26 PM
Looked over the powder paint thing and decided just to dip them in Rustoleum. Just dip and air dry by hanging on a thin rod. Have dipped and painted 100 at a time , sometimes even more if they are smaller sizes. Have done white and black that way. No problems with either.

Canalman
01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
It's stronger but c'mon these things are bouncing off rocks... how much can they take? I dip mine in BIN primer for white and clear shellac tinted with 2.5 oz of Black UTC. Works awesome and dries in less that 10 minutes.

-Dave

SlingBlades
01-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I pretty much do exactly what Nebe said. A toaster oven will work.

beamie
01-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Can't say enough good things about the powder paints, hard as nails but it still doesn't not withstand rocks.

I have used my cooking oven in the past for I didn't have a toaster over and will get one someday. Now my question is this. Is it just precautionary not to use your cooking oven or is there scientific evidence that lead molecules definately lag behind in the oven and may cause problems. Does anyone know?

Saltheart
01-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Once you have a solid jig , your biggest problem is spreading the lead around by handling it. You'd be surprised how much just flakes off or rubs off on your hands. Look at your hands when you are done. You hands or gloves will be dirty. That's almost all just lead rubbing off.. Just handling the lead around the stove will leave residue behind. Actual particles and some lead and lead oxide from your hands getting all over the place. There would also be some vapor deposited but that would depend on how hot you got the lead and to some extend for how long. Actual droppings and touching would probably spread way more lead as long as you don't get it too hot. The real problems with fumes would be if you were melting. Very small differences in temps above the melting point cause the vapor pressure to go up dramatically. You could work with lead just above its melting point for a long time but if you go 300 degrees above its melting point (easy to do if you aren't careful) , you would get sick fast. I also never melt indoors.

I don't think I'd do lead jigs in my kitchen (unless I really needed some jigs fast!! :) ). If you've done it , I wouldn't lose sleep over it either. Its just not a good idea.

scoobe
01-17-2007, 10:57 PM
For those that use a toaster oven... do you hang the jigs somehow or do you place in a tray?

Personally, I just use with naked heads when I tie my own. Just as well since nothing will stand up to bouncing on rocks anyway.

Nebe
01-18-2007, 08:54 AM
idealy you hang them- if you lay them on thier sides you will get a sticky mess on the floor of your toaster oven.
Also if you leave them in too long, they will drip.

bloocrab
01-18-2007, 09:00 AM
Goose,

This item is only $24.99 .. . . .and it comes with a tray! :musc:

Can I start calling you Ken?

beamie
01-18-2007, 09:49 AM
:rotf2: :rotf2:

ThrowingTimber
01-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Goose baking allows the paint to dent with the lead. You ever notice on good jigs that are smashed to pieces the paint becomes part of the indentation? Good curing Then theres the jigs where the pait shatters when it hits something. Bad curing.

Yup toaster over works great. If you know anyone that welds have them make you a tray you can slide in to hang your jigs from.