View Full Version : Help..I havent caught a thing -RI Fishing

JJP
06-27-2002, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, i am new to this forum and i suck this year. Not One Bass over 15inches Yet. I have a buddy going out with me Sunday and i am nervous. I ususally fish Prudence Is. or troll Beavertail. I tube and worm when i troll and generally use some Fin-S soft bodies to cast. The furthest i generally go is Beavertail or a few miles from that, has anyone had any luck and could help me so dont get skunked.

Homerun04
06-27-2002, 04:39 PM
I'm no expert (that's for sure), but they tell me to troll tube and worm VERY slowly off the bottom for the best results.

I, too, have been skunked more times then not this year. Live bait (herring and pollack up north) have worked best for me so far.

Hope that helps...

JohnR
06-27-2002, 07:39 PM
Get that tune and worm deep to. If you don't have a lead core setup, get one of those drail weights to get it down... If the tube is near the surface, you're lucj will get worse...

Have good charts of the area or a GPS/Plotter? Run the contour lines where it drops off from 20-30+ feet and from 30+, troll slow too...

Scotch Bonnet
06-27-2002, 08:30 PM
I work with a guy whose fished that area for years in a small boat. His method is simple - 2 hours before high tide til 2 hours after high tide he trolls the tube and worm in "close". He fishes the Mackeral Cove area. He has pretty consistant results (but also has alot of experience). Hope this helps, good luck!

BassmanN
06-28-2002, 08:03 AM
I have not done much with the tube yet....I think it is too early for the south bay, deep water. The fish are still in the upper bay...
Try the " cable crossing" - " black face" and other shallow spots around the island.
I can not become consistent with the tube until the mid to end of July. Of course that is just because of where I fish. I know others that have good luck around the island.

JJP
06-28-2002, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info, I do run 2 Lead Core set ups and consistently pick up starfish so I must be on the bottom, I guess its Just bad luck and a little early in the season, oh well, I make no guarantees when my buddies come out. I will probably try Beavertail again and maybe Hull cove and Mackerel Cove, however, I am not familiar with "Black Face". I am going to make sure I stay in the drop off sections around the point. Thanks again.

BassmanN
06-28-2002, 10:09 AM
West side of the island( PI ) - from the victorian house south to the second cove. See it and you will know why it is named what it is.
Please let us know how you do at MC and HC. I troll there alot and would like a report if you have any take downs.
Water depth!
Good Luck

JJP
06-28-2002, 10:20 AM
I will certainly give you a report on Monday, When you refer to Prud. Is, is the house at the North end or South end of the Island, Now i am curious as to the name. I wouldn't mind small bass taking soft body lures either, Wickford was good for that earlier but i cant seem to located them anymore, any thoughts on the schools too?

BassmanN
06-28-2002, 12:40 PM
The house is at the North End East side. You won't be the only one trolling there.
Try Jamestown, west side, from the bridge N for schoolies. You can some times get a drift there that will push you up the whole island. They are right against the shore line.
Pulled a tube through there alot, only picked up small ones. If you want schools it's loaded.

denis
06-30-2002, 12:47 PM
JJP

try the south-east side of hope isl. the fish are there but they are eating those little crabs and they are real fussy,but they are there

good luck

JJP
07-01-2002, 07:49 AM
Well, My report is good and bad, Prudence Is + Hope Island didnt produce anything Saturday and the water was getting to choppy to take the pounding out to the Beavertail so we caught some blues and watched the air show. Sunday Produced some bigger blues, lots of Fluke and one bass out near the Jamestown Bridge, but again, too choppy to run to Beavertail, not a bad weekend, thanks for the tips, i never did see the "Black Face", I am assuming that from the Cable Crossing it is past Potters cove heading North Towards Warwick??? Well thanks again, i will post if Beavertail starts biting, shouldnt be long.

BassmanN
07-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Well I reviewed my posts from last week for the directions to " black face".
You could not find it because I had you on the wrong side of the island.
I apologize.....
Sitting in an office, in providence, with no windows I had you on the east. Cable crossings is east.....Black face and the house are on the west..
My opinion on fishing this weekend....You were lucky to pick up anything with all the boats in the bay. I felt lucky that I was not run over or swamped by the wake of a 50 ft ocean yacht doing 30 knots 25 ft off port side.
I am sure that the fish know to go to the island for the weekend.
Air show was good though!

Sorry for the bad navigation.....

JJP
07-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Sorry to keep talking about Black Face, but now that it is on the WEST side (side facing Quonset), is it North (near Prov.) between Patience and Prudence or on the South End (near Jamestown)? Thanks again,

BassmanN
07-01-2002, 11:30 AM
South!