View Full Version : cabela's titanium pliers?

Rockport24
01-18-2007, 02:49 PM
anybody have these? they look good and the $120 for titatium aint bad

animal
01-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I just got the Brownings for $40.I like 'em a lot.BPS.

Clammer
01-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Just got them(#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& here hijac again) Anyway just got a new reel and got these pliers becuse they looked so good...they seem awesome, very well built...I got the titanium ones...Nice.......

luds
01-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Seems like a good choice to me. If they hold up well then great. If they don't I imagine that Cabela's will take them back and give you credit or possibly even a refund. They're good like that.

ChiefLinesider
01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
too much $ IMO. I have a 20 dollar pair of Rapala pliers that have lasted this season & still look pretty decent with no rust. They have a nice tip that opens a split ring really easily. & have a good length on the jaws for reaching inside bluefish mouths. I lost my other pair of them early on. It would have been sad if I had $120 invested in them.

Could have a new pair each year for 6 years.

http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/59000/59478a.jpg
I coated them with T9. & they have held up great.

http://store.thesawshop.com/catalogue/images/boe_12.jpg

lurch
01-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Need to pick up a new pair and I wont be spending 100$ for them. I buy good quality equipment but just cannot justify spending 120$ for a pair of pliers when a good stainless pair for 20$ will work the same. It is critical that the new pair be stainless because if they are not they will rust.

RIROCKHOUND
01-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Just got them(#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& here hijac again) Anyway just got a new reel and got these pliers becuse they looked so good...they seem awesome, very well built...I got the titanium ones...Nice.......

Jeezuz..
read this twice thinking this was the most coherent clammer had EVER been...

I bought the brownings and they have held up well for a lot less money...

piemma
01-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Ocean State Job Lot. Needle nose pliers $1.99. By 5 last all season

Rockport24
01-19-2007, 10:32 AM
I wear my pliers on my belt so they are either submerged or getting splashed constantly on every trip. I got a $20 pair of Dr. Slick stainless pliers last year and now I can barely open the damn things, I never sprayed them with anything and the cutters rusted out after a few weeks. I also had those rapala pliers and those rusted out on me too. Maybe I just need to rinse and spray them down after every trip? I just don't want to have to deal with taking care of pliers just one more thing ya know?

nightprowler
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I wear my pliers on my belt so they are either submerged or getting splashed constantly on every trip. I got a $20 pair of Dr. Slick stainless pliers last year and now I can barely open the damn things, I never sprayed them with anything and the cutters rusted out after a few weeks. I also had those rapala pliers and those rusted out on me too. Maybe I just need to rinse and spray them down after every trip? I just don't want to have to deal with taking care of pliers just one more thing ya know?
i have a$20 pair that i wear on a regular basis. Also on my belt and they are submerged most nights (4-6 nights/week). I wash them every couple of trips and give a little WD when i do or when they feel sluggish. Usually on the weeknds, when i have time, i take all my gear out and rinse and let air out. rods, reels, pliers, belts, pfd, etc.
i just cleaned out my truck and found a total of 5 pliers from the season. 2 were rusted shut, let em soak in WD for a few hrs and now they work fine, nice rust coating but open and close with the best of em.
the cutters are useless, but i haven't found much to work on braid consistantly anyway.

GattaFish
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
I bought a pair of those cheap nickel coated pliers from job lot.. $5.. and put them in my Krok sheath which I sprayed wd-40 in. I soaked it really good.. I have had theses pliers for 3 years and do not wash down or take care of them,, They are always on my belt and they have held up well,,, I only spray them with wd-40 every couple weeks and when I do, I spray the sheath really good.. Basically soak it.... when they wear out I will get another pair for $5.

Last year they had no problem cutting a hook in my hand so the cutting edge has held up ok too....

My big worry about having a good pair is losing them,,,, but $120 is more reasonable then some of the other Titanium ones I have seen...

JFigliuolo
01-19-2007, 10:58 AM

I've used that same POS pair for 2 years. A little 3-1 oil each week and they still work fine. That and a pair of nail clippers is all you need.

basswipe
01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
My Shimano pliers are still hanging in there after two seasons.

But if its got the Cabelas name on it you really can't lose.

shadow
01-20-2007, 08:24 AM
sure cheep pliers work but use a nice pair of spring loaded pliers and you'll never look back.

Backbeach Jake
01-20-2007, 08:33 AM

My thinking exactly! OSJL has lotsa stuff you can use. Like 6$ airbrushes too.