View Full Version : Plum Island, what's wrong?

striperman
09-10-2000, 01:12 PM
I've have fished the Refuge at Plum I sland the last two weekends. I stayed over night both times and only managed two small schoolies the first trip, and four schoolies last night. I've been fishing seaworms, along with plugs(black bombers), and eels. Last year at around this time I experienced some phenomonal fishing up there, with 40-50 fish nights among 4 people the norm. I also caight many larger fish last year. I'm not sure whats going on. Anyone with some advice?

JohnR
09-10-2000, 04:20 PM
Haven't fished it lately but heard its been good there. You're fishing both the beechfront and the mouth???

striperman
09-10-2000, 07:11 PM
Hey John. Yeah, I have in fact been fishing both the mouth and the beachfront. Usaully fish the mouth around the end of the drop and beginning of the incoming. Nothin really doing there. The refuge seems slow too, didn't see anyone really catching any fish the last two times I was there. i heard that there was a blitz there two fridays ago, but thats all I've really heard. I guess they were hitting the peanut bunker schools. Last night there were lots of Juvenile herring around. Huge schools, but no fish chasing them. I fished both tides, all night long. Usaully the incoming is the best, but I only manged 4 fish. The outgoing tide, on the beachfront produced nothing either. Maybe i should start heading down to the cape. What is prime time to fish there. I was thinking an early October trip down there for a few nights. Have any thoughts? Thanks, Derek

Steve K
09-11-2000, 08:06 AM
Striperman,

I fished the beach front and the refuge all weekend and I only caught 3 very small schoolies. On Saturday afternoon schoolies were slaming the juvi herring but they were very finicky. I only saw 2 fish caught by others all weekend.

striperman
09-11-2000, 03:50 PM
That's exactly rthe typr of fishing i'm expereincing, very dissappointing up there. Hopefully it will pick up soon. Another two weeks and the big ones will be moving out of that region.

AquaMan
09-12-2000, 09:55 PM
I've been going off of Halibut Point and Andrew's Point in Rockport. We have been getting keepers like crazy. All I use is herring. This has been one of the best years, yet!

NRA4EVER
06-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey,
Im new at surf casting, any tips would be heplful and i thank you all in advance.

The Dad Fisherman
06-20-2006, 03:04 PM
The Merrimac is Still a little "F"ed up from all that rain. Been a lot of dead fish floating up on shore, probably from that Sewage Line break upstream. I think its going to be quite awhile before the river straightens out

I was out on the Beachfront last Friday and they were catching a lot of small fish....nothing to write home about.

american spirit
06-20-2006, 03:24 PM
agreed,
i was thinking the floods would still be affecting the plum island area.

fishaholic18
06-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Hey,
Im new at surf casting, any tips would be heplful and i thank you all in advance.
Time, put in enough and you will catch. Night mode now.

tynan19
06-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Where did this post come from?

Raven
06-21-2006, 06:37 AM
Where did this post come from?

cyberspace......:bl:

labrax
06-21-2006, 08:55 AM
Was up there last night and did not see much going on - except some pretty good lightning. So much lightening that I packed it in and headed home two hours into the dropping tide. Some of the strikes were getting pretty close - would not have wanted to be at the Salisbury campground as it seemed to go right overhead.

Was trying out the new Tica Dolphin rod I got from M&D's a couple weeks ago (8', 3/4 - 3oz) - nice bomber and sluggo rod. Was able to lob out a 2 3/4 pencil popper on it to see how it would do - not too bad, but probably would stick with 2oz and under with the rod.

Tried camping out in a spot on the river, but as the tide turned and started to pick up one group of 5 guys camped out pretty close and then another group of 5 surrounded me and filled in even closer and started fishing bait. Figured I'd end up tangling and moved upriver a bit. Should have tried the beachfront. Lots of change in that area from the winter and the big rainstorm - lots more sand in some areas than I remember.

Johneeed
06-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I've been staying away from the P.I. Beacxh and river...
even though they fixed that leak in haverhill/lawrence....TOO much added "flavoring" in da water for me...
I want a few good sea storms to give it a real good "douching" up there..

I've been fishing the CAPE....
canal to me has slowed down....way down...so has barnstable harbor, bass river, craigville beach and douces' point...

Haven't made it to chatam or nauscet...
and I hear the blues have been slamming at south cape beach....

still alot of small fish around seabrook NH nothing big yet...
MAINE....well maine is juss maine....PLUM CRAZY and all private property...(huh...kinda like da CAPE)

J.D.

Christian
06-21-2006, 10:24 PM
last day i was up was friday.

the week before gave me schoolies and a couple around keeper.
firday a schoolies, and a few 24" fish, better than the usual 15" schoolie.

this is the fishing i will expect until they open the res.

stiff tip
06-22-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey,
cast twords da water and fish-fish-fish...cape beachs suck no fish no bait :bshake: