View Full Version : rod workmanship

Goose
01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Most of the rod builders I've met on this site take alot of pride in their rods, in the way they look and preform but I have heard many horra storys out there.

What are some of the kind of rod building errors you've encountered in the rods you've owned?

ChiefLinesider
01-23-2007, 12:01 AM
"no changes needed" needs to be added to that poll

JohnR
01-23-2007, 06:32 AM
I've been pretty fortunate having rods made by myself, you, and even Mike's daughter :btu: (she does wonderful work).

The only problem I've really had has been epoxy problems - some self induced ;) ...

2na
01-23-2007, 07:53 AM
A well-know Cape Cod tackle store made me some rods years ago - the batch of epoxy was bad or applied at the wrong temperature or something, became all alligatored.

Mebbe add bad epoxy to the poll?

The other problem I have seen more often (but fortunately not experienced) is reel seats put on out of line with the guides.

NIB
01-23-2007, 08:33 AM
With all the new an different stuff out there it is hard for the even experienced builder to relay this info to the buyer in how the rod will perform..The reason for this is most are not avid fisherman.At least to the level of some of the more experienced buyers..
Some will just wrap em like they have all the others.with components that they have or commonly use an are reluctant to do anything differently.
Guide selction can dramitcally alter the action of a longer rod..
A custom rod should be just that, a custom rod one built to the buyers lure weight preferences,casting style,reel an line choice,an body configuration.Not just a blank that u get guides added to..\
This may take some time.The buyer may have to come back an make a few cast's with the guides taped on..
When u buy custom golf clubs the seller will have a array of different models for u to test out..
It's a shame this practice could not take place with the custom rods for obvious reasons
What it comes down to is Most buyers are not sure what they want an the sellers really can't explain the difference...
So lots of perfectly nice customs go up on the rack after short use because they where not as thought...
U go in any good fisherman's garage an u will see em..
The learning curve..
I know there are some that are the exception to the rule..
U know who u are..
this is not meant as any disrespect to the builders
It's just something obvious that I see as a problem..

rockyroady
01-23-2007, 08:40 AM
appearance doesn't matter in the middle of the night, don't care for reelseats. Guide placement is #1. took me quite a while to settle on location on my 1201l noodle.

numbskull
01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
I think NIB is right on, there is a difference between a "stock" custom and one built exactly for you. Two things that always puzzle me about most "stock" customs I see in shops is the common use of Hardaloy guides and the lack of fixed grips/reel seats. I understand that SIC is more fragile/expensive........but it is also much smoother and, in my experience, has noticably less friction when retrieving heavy plugs or when a fish takes drag. I also understand that fixed reel seats and cork/foam grips have disadvantages (cost/durability/no flexibility on reel position), but they also have advantages (primarily comfort, balance, strength) that improves many rods. If you don't build your own (or want something better than you can do yourself), you might be well advised to spend less on decorative wraps, and more on fixed components positioned to fit you.

2na
01-23-2007, 09:28 AM
NIB, that's why I have one of my fishing buddies, who's made 100's of rods, make mine now - true custom rods by a fisherman who understand everything you pointed out.

And Rocky, I concur re: appearance - I don't need no fancy wraps, just black. But if you are paying top $, the epoxy shouldn't go to hell.

Goose
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
If you don't build your own (or want something better than you can do yourself), you might be well advised to spend less on decorative wraps, and more on fixed components positioned to fit you.

I hear that.

Although proven, I don't buy the best guides or blanks I can afford...maybe cause I'm just a stubborn fool but I think its a waste of money. A good blank, not necessarly a cheap one, should always be first. IMO, fugi guides and a sic tip is all you need. Your in a harsh environment that can break any rod or guide. If you own ooooooh say 11 VS's then by all means. If you know your rod builder as someone who cuts corners in the way he fishes, takes care of his gear ect. ect. then he could be cutting corners on your rod, places that do rods by the truck load whether custom or not make their money by pumping them out the door. IMO, if you have the time learn to do it yourself (its not that difficult)or get a hold of a good builder before the bass & the googin's get here.

As far as decorative wraps...if fancy wraps makes you wanna fish a little more, then maybe thats what the guys needs to get his @$$ out the door.

Swimmer
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
The thing is building your own rods allows you to step up to some of the better components out there, which is important.

PTMIKE, sounds like the epoxy could have been applied in an unheated, or not properly heated room. Or maybe a room where there was a tremendous amount of moisture.

stripersnipr
01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Of all the rods I've built for friends the only disappointment I've seen is in their choice of components after the fact. The "stock" custom rod is kind of an oxymoron and I can see where the buyer could easily be disappointed. If its not fit to the fisherman with his input on design and components I would hesitate to call it Custom.

Joey G
01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
All my surf rods are mint thanks to mike , he is the man :btu:

capesams
01-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I started building in 73,,,stopped last fall...I'll say this...I've built on the best blanks..used the best components....then have seen what the users have done to them...torn grips..blanks chipped and scratched so bad you couldn't see the blank...guides bent and it's only a half season old,,then they've come back and said it didn't hold up. you want to kick their butt to the street....there's the other side of the coin too.

gone fishin
01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
To all the expert rod builders out there, I have an honest question. I have a number of custom rods. All the rods are for conventional reels. On two I have reel seats installed and on others I have no reel seat. I use the fuji tape on seat and find it comfortable and have never had a problem with the reel moving around. I do change the location of the reel on occasion and cannot do so using a seat.

The question is -- What is the real necessity or need for a reel seat? Is there a reason why a seat is truly an advantage?:uhoh:

Goose
01-24-2007, 12:17 AM
I am not an expert by no means but I'll say this, some guys like to use tie-on/strap-on korkers, personely I like knowing my korked soles are going anywhere, they are a part of me. The same can be said for the perminant bond between the rod and a reel seat.... peice of mind. Also, I have had the expericence of haveing a two peice rod come loose, since then I would much rather sacrfice convenience then second guess my rods.

capesams
01-24-2007, 06:21 AM
In the middle of a mighty cast with an eel one time, it decides to come off...not being able to stop the forward motion after tossing said eel, and loosing my grip. I watched the rod go flying down down the beach an into the water.I went home and put trigger reelseats on all my rods...never threw away another rod.