View Full Version : Brenton Reef

Duke41
06-30-2002, 06:26 PM
I have been concntrating on fishing Brenton Reef and Mackeral Cove for Stripers as they are close to where I keep my gas hogging boat. I have not been doing well and would welcome any help. Thanks

JJP
07-01-2002, 11:09 AM
I havent had any luck up that way as you could see from my earlier post, I dont think the Fish have made their way out of the bay yet. Keep me posted on Mackrel, that is one of my favorite spots but i have got anything there or Beavertail.
Good Luck

breakfast fish
07-01-2002, 03:45 PM
what time of the day are u fishing in the area? the last three outings i've caught 30, 22, 18 lb. twice in my kayak and the other was on land. have been fishing at nite, but there must be a current. my spot has not been producing too well, compare to last year. maybe it's still early for the spot, but they are there. would u guys shed some light on where u r fishing in mackeral cove. i'm a stone throw away from there. well, i'm hitting that spot maybe tuesday nite. i'm in a gray kayak. good luck.

JJP
07-01-2002, 03:52 PM
I generally Troll with my boat down one side and up the other. If i fish from shore i will walk down the path entrance after you pass the beach, down the rocks some and cast in generally with squid to the bottom. Any thoughts??

breakfast fish
07-02-2002, 06:09 AM
hey jjp, what are u trolling with? and are u fishing in the daytime or nite. i have been catching all of my fish at nite with eels, usually drifting with them if there is no current then cast and retrieve. i haven't mark alot of bait in the area that i fished in, but once i spot some bait that's usually when i get some action.so my only suggestion is next time ur out there bring some eels they are only a buck a piece, but when the blues are in the area it gets a little expensive. good luck. i'll post of my results if my wife lets me out. good luck.

JohnR
07-02-2002, 07:20 AM
Hey Breakfast Fish - howya doing?

He's right on the eels, especially for fishing after dark or at first light (the best time to boat fish)...

JJP
07-02-2002, 07:46 AM
Well, I have been fishing early in the mornings, but i havent spent all that much time at Mackrel this year, The wind has been horrible (until now). I will hopefully be spending more nights in the cove and will definitly try some eels. I usually troll Tube and worm. I cant get there tonight, wife has the clamps on me to do a bunch of stuff tonight. (honey-do list), Hey thanks again for your help, good luck if you get out. I will look for the Kayak when i eventually get there.