View Full Version : Emblem Pro or Power Surf QD?

ripitsik
01-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Ive been looking at both for my next purchase. Ive heard some good things and bad things about both.. One thing that sticks out in my mind is with the Powersurf is that it hasnt reach the US yet so if something goes wrong how will I get it fixed? I fish the canal a great deal and I don't knwo if it will hold under those conditions. What do you guys think? I need something that will cast like a mother and that is around 200 or less. Should I spend the extra 50 beans for the PowerSurf or no?

ReelinRod
01-25-2007, 11:09 PM
PowerSurf's are going for 175 right now from Ginrinpeche. On another board guys who fish the ditch have been using them and have reported good results. They do cast like a banshee.

The Japan market reels do have that issue of service looming over them and it is a consideration.

I have a Basia and when the line roller bearing seized I had to get the part from DaiwaUK. . . DaiwaUSA reps couldn't even bring the schematic up on their terminals let alone order/deliver parts. So I made the acquaintance of a very nice lady in Scotland via email then phone with the CC # and had my parts in four days. :kewl:

ripitsik
01-26-2007, 07:11 AM
Hows the Basia work out for you? Does it hold up well with strong currents? Does it bend under pressure when your reeling in a large? That's just one of my thoughts on the Daiwa emblem pro. Ive been looking around for a good reel that will hold under pressure like that and it seems that many people have said that the Emblem Pro does bend under pressure. The Basia is a sick lookin reel but a little outta my price range, so it seems like the PowerSurf may be what I am looking for, I don't know. I just dont wanna get stuck with a reel that craps out a yr later and I cant find parts for it. The whole problem last yr that I had was I couldnt cast far enough. No matter how hard I casted. I could have a 5oz jig on the end and it still wouldnt get where I wanted it to go, so Im trying to fix that. It seems that the PowerSurf is 40 bucks extra. The average price of the emblem pro is around 135-140 and if the Powersurf is 175 then it makes sense to go for the Powersurf... what do you guys think?

ReelinRod
01-28-2007, 11:53 AM
The Basia is an incredible reel. It is a Ferrari, tempermental at times, it doesn't tolerate sloppy line handling. You must reel with plenty of even tension on the line or wind knots can crop up. A switch to Sufix braid has helped in that department, it is better behaved than PowerPro.

We here in the USA are really the ugly stepchildren in the tackle dept . . . We don't get the new super-stong high performance gear here. Some of the new reels are incrdibly light and are rated for 80 or 100 lb braid and up to 66lbs of drag . . . drag ratings like that are only equaled by 80lb and above lever-drag big-game reels, - - - simply amazing.

I also have Shimano Power Aeros and Daiwa Tournament ST's. The Daiwa Tournament S-6000T ENTOH is the strongest reel I own and it is a great caster, having a 45mm tall spool just like the Basia. It handles 6ft Brown sharks like they are 2ft dogfish. Those reels are getting tough to come by now, sold in Europe only and the newer Iso-Entos are replacing them in the line-up

Currents aren't an issue for me, I fish open beach down here in Jersey but 30+lb stripers have fell to the reel with no issues or worries (3.9-1 ratio helps).

I would be comfortable with the PowerSurf choice; like I said I've read many reports from ditch guys being happy with the reel.

It's probably something ya don't want to hear but working on your casting technique will bring the greatest distance gains for you. It not how hard you cast it's how and when you "hit it."

Moses
01-28-2007, 12:01 PM
I've been fishing the canal for a few years now and have been trying different set ups on a budget. I started with an old rod (30+ years) re-guided a 704. I then changed reel to a yellow Nautil 7500, same rod.

I've used Tica's in the past with good success so I changed rod to a 10' Tica with the Nautil. Last year I switched to the Emblem Pro 5500 and used this as my jigging combo for the canal all season. Although I didn't lay into any large fish (30+ lbs), this combo worked the best so far. I primarily use 3-4 ozs jigs and was able to reach distances unattainable before. I have it loaded with PP50lb.

I may upgrade rod this year but for the $$, this rod & reel has worked out great for me.

Slammer223
01-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Ginrinpeche has free shipping on the Powersurf too.