View Full Version : Air Travel Help

spinncognito
01-26-2007, 08:50 AM
My girlfreinds sister has decided to get married in Jamaica.... in August!
Gonna be about 25 of us heading there. My question is how do I go about getting the best airfare? Should I just go to a travel agent and ask them to find me the best deal? I have searched all the sites (travelocity, expedia etc...) and all the fares come up pretty much the same. How long should I wait to pull the trigger on a deal? Do the airlines have a "sale season"?
Any tips?

Surely one of you well-traveled guys has a strategy.

Thanx!
Paul

BigFish
01-26-2007, 09:04 AM
My advise to you is if you are arranging the flight for the entire party....get the money in advance from those who "claim" they are going...so you don't get left holding the bag! If you are all planning to fly out together......call the airline you want and try to arrange a group discount! Go through a travel agent and it will cost more as they do not work for free.....go right to the head of the animal and buy direct from the airline....shop around to the different airlines for the best deal!

spinncognito
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Thanx BF- probably looking only for tix for 3, possibly 6 or 7 but I think most of the party is making arrangments on their own due to different travel days/schedules.

cheferson
01-26-2007, 09:19 AM
I just bought a ticket to europe, by flying out on a monday instead of thur or fri i saved over $300. DOnt wait too long, waited an extra day this fall to buy my gf's ticket and went up $200 overnight!!!:shocked:

gf2020
01-26-2007, 03:43 PM
There is a good travel agency in Gloucester:

Caboose Travel
51 Main Street

(800) 339-8785

I would ask them to help coordinate things.

PaulS
01-26-2007, 03:46 PM
Try Farecast.com when you get close to booking.

fishpoopoo
01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
don't forget to make sure that everyone has valid passports, which are now required for entry from every destination in the western hemisphere.

right now there is a something like a month long wait at most passport offices to get your application in.

p.s. i've flown air jamaica for a pretty reasonable fare.

p.p.s dang it's gonna be hot down there in august

p.p.p.s. the inshore fishing sucks there

spinncognito
01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
[QUOTE
p.p.s dang it's gonna be hot down there in august

p.p.p.s. the inshore fishing sucks there[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mid-Hurricane season too. I heard that about the fishing, at least that is when it gets slow round' here as well.

Thanx for advice all...

Raven
01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
the wedding wasn't being held in the virgin islands

no passport required

EricW
01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I have a friend at work from jamaica. He goes to barbados alot, and I don't have any specific tips, but I know the air fares are not super cheap and there aren't a whole lot of direct flights from boston to there. He always tries to book early too.

Good luck.