View Full Version : Calcutta 400B question

tlapinski
01-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Recently picked up a used Calcutta 400B (thanks Christian!). Anywway, I stripped it down to clean and get familiar with the innards. When reassembling, something "may" have gone wrong. The reel functions perfectly, but it looks a little off. I can't remember if it was this way before I touched it. As you can see in the pictures, the washer under the handle (friction washer #799 from schematics) does not touch the star drag when the drag is cranked down. Like I said, I can not remember if it was this way before I took it apart. I reassembled the reel several times, reviewed the schematics chart, and looked for some pictures online, but was unable to figure out if something was wrong. So, could someone check their reel and see if it is supposed to be this way? Again, this is the newer 400B. Thanks!

numbskull
01-27-2007, 10:14 AM
The older 400 I've got is the same. I think that washer just keeps the star knob from binding on the handle when you back off your drag.

leptar
01-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Is that drag cranked down?... it looks right but looks like you cranked the snot out of the drag...

numbskull
01-27-2007, 12:27 PM
One other thing to be aware of if you tore it down, I'm not sure about the 400b, but the older Calcuttas use a greased drag, and if you reassemble it dry, it won't work very well.

tlapinski
01-27-2007, 12:32 PM
The drag was in working position when the picture was taken. I left the washers with the little bit of grease on them, thanks Numbskull for the tip though. I guess it sounds like I just never noticed the washer before I took it apart. I'll double chek next time I am in a shop that sells the reel.

stripadan
01-27-2007, 01:01 PM
That washer is in the correct position. It is supposed to help support the handle. The schematic is a little misleading though, you have the washer installed upside down. It is supposed to sit on the shoulders of the drive shaft, and the two ends reach out and up to support the handle. Hope this helps.

eelman
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
yup, you have it upside down.......