View Full Version : Mosquito Hawk

Brooksie
07-02-2002, 10:51 AM
Has anyone used one of these? I ordered one from improvementscatolog.com Supposedely it keeps the mosquitos away with a dragonfly like sound. Me hate mosquitos!!! Hopefully it will arrive soon and work.

JohnR
07-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Errr - I think we need a report or two:

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=376650&nav=8H488sUV3RfR

Brooksie
07-02-2002, 11:35 AM
Doh!:smash:

Fooled Again.

tlapinski
07-02-2002, 02:29 PM
i am interested to see if the new product by coleman is any good.

Mosquito Deleto (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/mosquito/default.asp)

bloocrab
07-02-2002, 08:58 PM
...the best mosquito repellant I've found is ....a windbreaker or light rain gear!!

....They can penetrate cloth, sweatshirts etc., but they haven't seemed to develop a vinyl penetrating beak yet. :D....your gonna sweat a little more, but...its worth it to me!!..I'm not sure there's a product on the market that works consistently. I've had nights where I'll swear by a certain product, then on other nights...that same product seems to attract them!!:confused:

....you could always try filling the tub with "Skin-so-soft" ...and bathing in it!!:eek: :eek: ....or better yet, fill it with "#^&#^&#^&#^&..just make sure to tape up all your cavities!!!:laughs: :happy:

Scotch Bonnet
07-02-2002, 09:42 PM
The best mosquito repellers are bats! The Roger Williams Zoo sells bats "houses" that you can mount on a pole to attract these bug eaters. I've been saying I'm gonna do this for 3 years now and still haven't done it:smash: They supposedly eat an outrageous amount of mosquitos and if you attract a bunch of them they really make an impact. I live on a pond in Charlestown so I have the mosquitos from hell. Some years they are out ALL day and really swarm at dusk. This year is not that bad at the house but they are starting to get bad down at the Salt Pond. So maybe glue a plastic bat to your fishing hat and one on each shoulder to scare off those pests(might be enough to scare off the yahoos too!);)

Van
07-03-2002, 06:30 AM
SILLY HUMANS YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ME !!!!

http://striped-bass.com/images/van_bzzzzz.jpg

kayaman
07-03-2002, 01:36 PM
DEET is the one thing that will work, most repellents now have a small amount but if you look in the camping stores you should be able to find one with a healthy dose. I like the strong doses so you need to only put a small amount on your cuffs, hat and such.:behead:

Brooksie
07-10-2002, 12:14 PM
Well, I put it to the test last night, it was raining so I was sitting under a beach umbrella and the mosquitos started attacking. I turned it on and it appeared to be working until one was s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g on my hand, I put the mosquito hawk right up to Mr. Mosquito and he laughed at me, as he was laughing he fell victim to a fatal right slap. Oh Well, I caught a 24" Striper for my trouble.

STEVE IN MASS
07-10-2002, 03:05 PM
TL mentioned the product by Coleman.......not sure how well it works, but it is funny, cause the company I used to work for is somehow involved in that product. The theory is that mosquitos are attracted to the CO2 that comes off of your breath and skin. That is there trigger to attack.

The Coleman product produces CO2 to attract the buggers to a bug zapper. The CO2 is produced using catalytic combustion of propane or butane. The fuel burns catalytically, producing CO2 and water vapor. The CO2 is supposed to attract the mosquitos to the device, and then they get zapped by the zapper.

I helped work on the design for the honeycomb catalyst that is used in the combustion unit. While I whole-heartedly helped with the project, I was leary of the premise of the device. Sure, it may attract them, but your breath and skin will as well, so what is the point? It is sort of like throwing the seaweed and crabs up on the beach so you won't get anymore on your line........:rolleyes:

But they must be selling well, since right before I was laid off, one of my last projects was to devise a way to produce 40,000 of the catalytic honeycombs a month for less than $0.50.....which I did, but they never found out the way to do it, since they shortly thereafter gave me the ax, and the only documentation of the method is currently in my brain.....;)

Mr. Kav - SHUT YOUR TRAP!!!!!!! :p

Jenn
07-10-2002, 09:21 PM
ok......listen to this one......

me (yes the avon lady that fishes...go ahead and laugh:rolleyes: ) had SSS original bath oil (some swear by it but not an "offical" bug repellant:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) the SSS bug guard, AND OFF! on me one night....(and so didnt the ten other people sitting around that night).....we were ALL drenched in the stuff and of the whole bunch only me and one other person were getting bitten (or eaten alive:mad: )

so WHY were al;l these things that normally work not wotking on just two of us?????? beats me.......guess they wanted my blood:eek: :eek:

when worst comes to worst I pour on the Ben's 100.....yep.....serious deet .....dont use it on your kids (or yourself if you WANT to have kids someday:eek: ) but believe it or not even that failed me once......even after about 6 heavy applications of the stuff......on RP, DEAD CALM,midnight in a t shirt....totally wierd night.....and we were getting bitten at least once every 5-10 seconds........we HAD TO LEAVE......I dont think submerging our bodies under water would have stopped them that night!!!!!

my honest opinion.......lots of things work....but sometimes it just doesnt matter.......they just want blood......:af:

Jenn
07-10-2002, 09:27 PM
or you could suck down cigars/cigarrettes till ya PUKE.............:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :eek: :eek: :eek:

Target
07-10-2002, 11:08 PM
One way to keep skeeters away is to eat raw garlic. It seems that when your body metabolizes it you give off a scent they don't like (can keep people away too:D :p ). combine that with some repellent and you should be all set.

Mr. Sandman
07-11-2002, 09:18 AM
For your home....

www.mosquitomagnet.com

this really works (big time) but it costs some serious $. The coast gaurd had to leave a small island in the crib. because it was not habitable by humans due to the mosquito population. They bought a bunch of these things and now they are able to live there.

I think they make a low end home version at home depot for about 500 or so and it covers 1/2 acre.

The best part...its made in East Greenwich RI.

for your person..hose yourself down with deet. It is the only proven thing to repel the damn things.