View Full Version : Drum Brakes

animal
01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
I haven't had to deal with them in a long while,but I do now.I broke my ***** for a couple hours today,and only got one side done.If I ever run into the guy who invented drum brakes,that's it.Actually I'm sure he's dead by now.I guess I'll have to re-kill him.

Swimmer
01-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Dont take them both apart at the same time. That way you'll have one to go by. If they are really old replacing the backing plate is advisable also because they rust to chit if your around salt water. Good luck

Raider Ronnie
01-29-2007, 06:33 PM
Drum brakes are pretty simple to do!
I can do them with my eyes closed ! :musc:

Squid kids Dad
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes they are...

Raider Ronnie
01-29-2007, 06:45 PM
Drum brakes were great in their day.
Disc are better,
But the days of hydraulic brakes will be the thing of the past soon ,
electronic brake calipers controlled by an on board computer are/will replace hydraulic!
Electronic power steering has been in cars / trucks for a few years now.
Another reason you will be forced to have work done ONLY by your dealer!

animal
01-30-2007, 07:47 PM
Compared to discs,drums blow.Why then would these a$$hat engineers put drums on the back,and discs on the front?To piss me off,I guess.:scream2:

Raider Ronnie
01-30-2007, 07:52 PM
Compared to discs,drums blow.Why then would these a$$hat engineers put drums on the back,and discs on the front?To piss me off,I guess.:scream2:

cost !!!

eastendlu
01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
If your going to do drum brakes i hope you heve the right tools.The right tools and its a cake walk to do them.

Squid kids Dad
01-30-2007, 09:07 PM
Piece o cake

EricW
01-30-2007, 10:02 PM
If your going to do drum brakes i hope you heve the right tools.The right tools and its a cake walk to do them.

I agree. I don't like them either, but even with an inexpensive set of brake tools for the springs (and a brake drum puller) they can be done pretty easily. I like others, do one side at a time in case you forget where stuff goes.