View Full Version : Abu Bg 7000 HSN

luds
01-29-2007, 11:47 AM
Any opinions on this reel? I'm looking to learn conventional and have an oppurtunity to trade a spinning real I don't use for this Abu. What are the advantages/disadvantages to the narrow spool. What kind of money am I looking at to upgrade the reel....power handle etc? It says Swedish cut but is this real completely manufactured in Sweden?

Saltwater Edge Link:

http://www.saltwateredge.com/PROD//SR01

Thanks

Back Beach
01-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Good reel for braid or light mono, say 20# test or under on the mono.Personally, I've never been an abu fan, and have owned a few of them.Just never liked how they felt in my hand.Narrow spool is nice, just remember your line capacity diminishes if you fill it up with mono as opposed to braid.

Mike P
01-29-2007, 11:56 AM
Those gold/champagne colored HSNs are put together in Taiwan. The gears may be "Swedish cut" but the country of origin for the reel is Taiwan.

The new black HSN "i" series with instant anti-reverse, and a lever free spool control, are made in Mainland China.

The new power handle that comes standard on the "i" series will fit any existing Abu 7000 series reel, including the gold HSN. They sell for around $16. mike cc had them last year, but I don't know if he has any left or when he might be getting more :huh:

luds
01-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Good reel for braid or light mono, say 20# test or under on the mono.Personally, I've never been an abu fan, and have owned a few of them.Just never liked how they felt in my hand.Narrow spool is nice, just remember your line capacity diminishes if you fill it up with mono as opposed to braid.

Thanks. I was planning on learning how to cast with mono hopefulling advancing to a point where I felt comfortable with braid.

luds
01-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Those gold/champagne colored HSNs are put together in Taiwan. The gears may be "Swedish cut" but the country of origin for the reel is Taiwan.

The new black HSN "i" series with instant anti-reverse, and a lever free spool control, are made in Mainland China.

The new power handle that comes standard on the "i" series will fit any existing Abu 7000 series reel, including the gold HSN. They sell for around $16. mike cc had them last year, but I don't know if he has any left or when he might be getting more :huh:

Here's my dilemma. I can have $100 or that reel. Sounds like if you were me you'd take the cash and put it towards something better.

lurch
01-29-2007, 12:31 PM
you can get a 7000I HSN for 129$

Spend the extra 30$ and get the reel from M&Ds

Krispy
01-29-2007, 01:04 PM
Im not sure about the 7000i for surfcasting. I found it heavy and and a little awkward. I would compare it w/ the old 7000HSN first, before purchasing if your dead set on the 7 model.
I also have the new 6500 Abu, which VERY nice and comparable to the old 6500 version. I would give the 6500 a hard look, esp. if your just starting w/ conventional

Mike P
01-29-2007, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't necessarily say no to the older HSN. I bought one last summer from Mike when he was blowing them out to make room for the i series. Some of the early models had pinion gear issues, but I think Pure Fishing resolved them. Even so, Pure Fishing usually stands behind their products if you do run into problems.

I'm not sold on instant anti-reverse, especially in the Abus. The 6500 series bearings can rust, they can slip when they get contaminated by grease or oil, and I've been told by Mike that they are integral to the side plate and can't be replaced separately--you have to buy the whole plate.

I can fix a standard 7000 anti-reverse in 5 minutes with one cheap brass part ;)

I do like the lever free spool control--you can flip it manually or turn the handle, and there isn't a "water entry" port on the top of the plate like there is with the push button version ;)

RIROCKHOUND
01-29-2007, 01:33 PM

Get a squidder.
Cheaper and more durable!
I've sold all my Abu's.

gone fishin
01-29-2007, 01:35 PM
I own the 7000HSN and after changing the pinion gear the real was just fine. It is an excellent reel to learn on - narrow spool and decent control. It has 4 anti backlash blocks and you also can slow the spool down by applying pressure on the shaft with the side bearing adjustment and using a heavy oil on the bearings. No need to change the handle - that reel comes with the power handle on it.:jump1:

After you get the hang of the reel you can bring it to M&D and have Mike trick it out - ceramic bearings, smoothie drag washers and a few other tricks Mike can do. After that is done you have a fine casting machine that will give you mucho satisfaction. The only drawback on that reel is line capacity. I use mine for plugging and have not been to the backing yet.:buds:

Back Beach
01-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks. I was planning on learning how to cast with mono hopefulling advancing to a point where I felt comfortable with braid.

Just learn with braid, its much easier than mono.On that reel you could put plenty of 40 or 50 power pro, along with a little backing.Thats how mine was set up.Best way to learn is with something heavy on the end,then lighten up as you get better at it.With a nice heavy jig, you will look like a pro in no time.The lighter stuff can be tough, though.

Back Beach
01-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Get a squidder.
Cheaper and more durable!
I've sold all my Abu's.

Newell 229=God's gift.:musc: