View Full Version : custom rods at shows?

Rockport24
02-01-2007, 11:06 AM
hey guys, do any stores/builders have pre-made custom wrapped rods for sale at the shows like MSBA or RISSA? If so, is there any price saving as opposed to getting one wrapped with my own specs? I have an old custom rod that I got used and I love it, I would like another one, and was thinking it would be cool if I could kind of get what I was looking for "off the shelf" instead of spending the extra money and time to get one wrapped to my personal specs (I also don't know what my specs really are). Somes things I love about the one I have is that it has a long grip and the first guide is huge, which I am convinced leads to longer casts (it's a spinning rod).
I know some come up occasionaly in the classifieds and I always have my eyes open to those as well.

Gloucester2
02-01-2007, 12:09 PM
CMS had some at MSBA last year

I'm fortunate enough to have customs from both MikeCC and Saltheart and their workproduct is excellent

luds
02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
CMS usually has a sale going on during the shows. I picked up an Arra at a reasonable price last year.

lurch
02-01-2007, 01:22 PM
yep bought a 1322 on the cheap a few years ago from CMS at the MSBA show.

MakoMike
02-01-2007, 01:26 PM
How could it be "custom" if you never specked any of it out? It ceratinly wouldn't be "custom" made for you. Maybe "custom" made for the rodbuilder?

Mike P
02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
CMS will probably have some made up customs for sale at MSBA.

It usually costs no more to have one made to your specs unless you want more expensive components, like SiC guides instead of Hardaloy. Most of the pre-made customs CMS has for sale have a Fuji seat and a pretty fancy butt wrap already.

Tidalist
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
A lot of times you can score great deals on just the blanks at the shows. The Marlboro event had Loomis, Sage and Winston fly-rod blanks (discontinued, etc), for as low as $30.

luds
02-01-2007, 02:31 PM
CMS will probably have some made up customs for sale at MSBA.

It usually costs no more to have one made to your specs unless you want more expensive components, like SiC guides instead of Hardaloy. Most of the pre-made customs CMS has for sale have a Fuji seat and a pretty fancy butt wrap already.

They have also had alot of made up rods with SiC guides on them including a good selection of lengths. I can't allow myself to walk by them after I've hit the bar at RISSA this year. Too much temptation.

Rockport24
02-01-2007, 02:45 PM
thanks for the advice guys, sounds like CMS is the place to check out at the shows. MakoMike, you're right, it's techinally not "custom". I guess I just mean a rod made by a good custom rod builder for surfcasting, not a factory rod.

zimmy
02-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I know J and L custom rods out of Upton used to be at the worcester show. I haven't talked to him in a couple years so I don't know what he is up to. You can get the number through information. I don't know if it would save you anything though getting it at the show...

The whole huge first guide thing for long distance has been generally debunked. There are a few builders who still use the really big wire guides for the 1st guide, but it is less and less common. If you have someone build one for you, I would recommend trusting his judgment as far as guide sizes and such. If you don't trust em find someone you do trust. Pretty much all builders will do what the customer wants in the end, but at least consider their suggestions

The from scratch approach allows you to give your input on blank action, butt lengths, guide materials and such so you may find you are better able to get exactly what you are looking for.

Saltheart
02-02-2007, 02:53 AM
The big thing you give up on a basic off the shelf rod is the reel seat placement. You might save $20 on the prebuilts. For $20 , I want to specify my reel seat placement and have all the guides adjusted to it.

If you want special guides or seats , you probably won't find one off the shelf. For that you need to find a builder.

No prebulit rod should ever be called custom , it simply is not custom. perhaps they could be called high quality prebuilt rods. At the shows , CMS usdually has the most prebuilt rods. Mike T from M+D has some prebuilts in his shop. I don't think he brings many to the show.

If I wanted to save money , i would ask for a plain , truly custom built rod. Much better to have the reel seat and guide placement correct and have no decorative wrap than to have a nice wrap and save the money by buying a non custom , prebuilt rod.

The one thing that a whole wrack of prebuilt rods does is allow someone who doesn't really know what they want to feel a bunch of rods. This is a big advantage for those who have no idea what they really want.

Clogston29
02-02-2007, 07:17 AM
CMS usually gets my money after the bar gets some of my money at RISSA (got a all star 1088 on the way out the door last year). Beer and and fishing gear are my two biggest weaknesses in life and putting them in one huge room leads to an expensive day. I can't wait.

Goose
02-02-2007, 08:14 AM
What SaltHeart said! :btu:

Saltheart for president.

Rockport24
02-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the advice Saltheart, if there really isn't much of a price difference it sounds like I should just pick out a blank that I like and get a simple custom wrap. Can you guys give me an idea of what the cost is for something like that?

fishaholic18
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the advice Saltheart, if there really isn't much of a price difference it sounds like I should just pick out a blank that I like and get a simple custom wrap. Can you guys give me an idea of what the cost is for something like that?

All depends on details. PM sent.

Mike P
02-02-2007, 09:30 AM

It depends on the price of the blank. From cheapest to most expensive, quality blanks used by custom builders are:

Rainshadow SW
Lamiglas SB or MB E-glass
Rainshadow SU
St. Croix
Lamiglas GSB
Lamiglas XRA "Ron Arra".

Ball park figures from someone like CMS, with Fuji Hardaloy guides and graphite reel seat:

$170-$200 for a Ranshadow SW or glass Lami

Low $200s for a Rainshadow SU

Mid $200s for a GSB Lami

Around $300 for an XRA Lami.

I don't think Charlie builds on St. Croix blanks. He also might have some Pac Bay and Amtak blanks, but IMO you're better off going with Rainshadow in that price range.

The length of the blank will also affect costs. The prices above are based on a 10' blank.

mike cc isn't committing himself to any custom orders right now, but he's a good source for blanks and components if you want to try your hand at building. Or know someone who can wrap a rod for you.

Terence
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
I agree custom is the way to go but if you want an off the shelf with custom reel seat the new Shimano surf rods have an adjustable reel seat that works pretty well. I've got half a season on mine and like it a lot.

capecodder
02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
A couple of years back I met Mike CC at the MSBA show and speced a rod that I picked up later at his shop. Great work, I love it. CMS has lots of boat rods pre built with different actions etc. for different uses. You can also spec your own there for later pick up.