View Full Version : Shot Seal

MarshCappa
02-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Anyone see on the news the other day a report of seal found shot in the head on the beach? Where was it? As many posts as i see here about people complaining of them i would doubt anyone would actually shoot one. Just curious if anyone knew more about this incident. I found it very disturbing. It takes a real tough guy to shoot an animal like like that. I'd love to meet that person sometime.

BigFish
02-02-2007, 09:10 AM
It was found on Scusset Beach but had been hanging around Plymouth a few weeks prior!

MarshCappa
02-02-2007, 09:16 AM
I just saw the other thread that addressed this. I know they are a nusance but I can't justify what they did. If they were trying to put it out of it's misery they did a horrible job. My guess is they wanted it to suffer more. I am no "lay down in front of the bus" type guy put I do have a compassion for these animals even if they do eat a TON of fish. My take is they were here way before us and recreational fisherman need to chill out. I can see how commercial fisherman would be very annoyed with them.

BigFish
02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Marsh...I agree! I won't feel bad if they turn into great white food....but I will not condone the cruelty! The creature was just doing as nature intended....surviving!

Swimmer
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
It died from a lung infection, not the pellets. Thats what the Doc said.

ChiefLinesider
02-02-2007, 12:00 PM
It died from a lung infection, not the pellets. Thats what the Doc said.

I bet the doc wouldnt have prescribed pellets as a cure to the lung infection

EricM
02-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm sure that whoever shot it has tipped the scales in their favor in their quest for an 80lb bass. That seal was all that stood between them and everlasting glory. Really worthwhile.

Mike P
02-02-2007, 03:25 PM
The gunshot wound had fully healed. The pellets were found by X-Ray during the necropsy. It probably was inflicted quite awhile before the seal died.

riverrat55
02-02-2007, 10:50 PM
One down and thousands to go!!!
I hate seals worst then the CLAMMER hates BLUES!!!
LOL'S!!!!!!!!!!

2na
02-03-2007, 09:28 AM
I do not believe that anyone from around here shot that - it was a harp seal that was sick and dying (dead); it was far out of its normal territory.
The two types of seal we normally get on the cape are harbor seals and grey seals. Harbor seals are harmless, they only weigh 150 lbs or so max, and I've seen them for years and never had a problem with them. The grey seals are another matter. 4-600 lb adult males, and in the last few years they have learned to take hooked up fish from us on the beach (now they are starting to tke them from boats too - smart creatures). If there were still a bounty on them (they used to shoot them, cut off the noses, and bring the nose to town hall to collect $5 a pop) they'd make great winter sport.

Goose
02-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Just goes to show... whether deer or seals always use slugs

fishermanjim
02-03-2007, 12:31 PM
what about bow and arrow