View Full Version : How is the Shimano Cosair 400A?

D Blizard Jr
07-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Can anyone tell me how the Shimano Corsair 400A reel performs?
Is that a decent reel?

:confused:

JohnR
07-08-2002, 11:11 AM
The old Corsairs were pretty weak. I don't know how the new style Corsair compares but there is a very high plastic content... The Corsair is not compairsion for the Calcutta and you would be better off with an ABU C3 or TCST with a couple upgrades over getting a Corsair (especially if it's anything close in quality, or lack of, that the original Corsair had)... Just my opinion :D

D Blizard Jr
07-08-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks John.

I took a brand new corsair out this year & it hasn't ever worked correctly.

It seems that the drag won't adjust properly and it will barely reel in a 2oz lure because of the drag issues.

I was very disappointed with it.:(

I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the nut under the bubble cover on the crank handle... ( it seems to have been stripped prior to my purchase of this "new" reel.

Don

JohnR
07-08-2002, 11:23 AM
That should not be stripped... I seriously think it's a bad real. I have the older 300Corsair and I'm not impressed at all. My Abu 500C3 is far better all around for the same or a little less coin than the 300 was...

If it was stripped when you bought it, bring it back. Get a refund if you can. I know Don @ weekapaug carries a good selection of the ABU reels as does Mike at M&Ds. If you ask in advance, they might even put the upgraded smoothy washers in for you :D wink wink

D Blizard Jr
07-08-2002, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the advice!

My only problem is that I have had this reel since last season, & haven't been able to try it out till last night...

If I can figure out how I can get cash or credit back, I'll check out your resources on an upgrade...

Thanks again!

Mike P
07-08-2002, 10:14 PM
I had the old (silver) Corsair 400. It lasted halfway into its second trip ever when the anti-reverse bearing failed.

I still have it because I refuse to stick some other poor sucker with it by selling it. I won't even give it away.

Backwater Guide
07-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Everybody seems to hate the corsair, but I have had good luck with mine. Maybe I got lucky with this one. It has really seemed to hold up well. The only thing I don't really care for is the gear ratio. I can't seem to keep up with a top-water bait if casting up-current of me on a strong tide. If I had the funds, I'd go with the calcutta....more ball bearings and higher gear ratio.:)