View Full Version : Kayakers

DaveK
07-08-2002, 11:42 AM
Just bought a WS ride angler kayak and lookin to get out sometime soon. Anyone planning any trips this week and looking for some company?

Mr. Sandman
07-10-2002, 10:53 AM
ws ride angler...how do you like it? I was thinking of getting pamlico angler or the pamlico pro just for fishing. I have a couple kayaks that I do goof around in now but I am considering a getting a dedicated fishing kayak.. I would like to really work in close to the rocks a round cuttyhunk...to dangerous for a real boat. I would be interesed in your comments on the sit-on-top fishing style.

thanks

breakfast fish
07-10-2002, 07:50 PM
i've been fishing out of my kayak for the last two years. did really well last year caught quantity of bass, but the quality is this year for i purchased a new arsenal for my kayak, the depth finder. this year has been really slow from the kayak, but the fish are good size between 18-30lb. my kayak is the type you can sit in and have enough storage for fish and tackel, but i don't tend to carry alot of equipment, only the necessities, eels, eels,eels, and a fog horn.if u haven't fished out of a kayak, try not to bring so much equipment for u won't be needing or be able to get to the equipment or tackel. kayak fishing is a mininal game, but the payoff is huge....i have been in school of blues that literally threw the baby menhaden into my kayak and took showers full of bait fish. well, if u guys ever want to get together or swap spots let me know. i tend to fish the upper bay in narragansett. i'm waiting for the huge school of blues to come in and take another one of those bait showers. good luck.

Mr. Sandman
07-11-2002, 08:36 AM
I have gone a few times (last year) and several this year. Most of the time it was mid-day fishing along the soft side east beach or a few spots around jamestown. I have not landed a huge fish yet but is is fun to paddle out to a school of feeding bluefish that are well beyond casting range.

There is no doubt in my mind that this could be an outstanding platform to hover in the perfect zone with eels. You can get to the place where it is difficult to cast to or for that matter even walk to, yet to dangerous for a power boat. I plan to take my new fishing kayak over to cuttyhunk this fall (mid-late sept) and cherry pick some nice nights/early mornings in decent weather/surf condions to troll my eels around. If the conditions don't permeit I will not even put it in the water. But gererally speaking on an island you can find someplace to fish. Boating a 50 could be an "issue" but I will worry about that when the time comes. :-)

In general, I do tend to take too much stuff when I fish. (When I go to BI for a week my explorer is jammed packed!) But kayaking has displined me to trim the load. (and secure everything to the boat)

I am slowing working my way into the sport.

DaveK
07-11-2002, 09:52 AM
I like the sit on top though i haven't got it into the salt yet. I have just been fooling around ponds and rivers until works lets up and gives me some time. I have fished Watch hill from my 17' boat and also the merrimack, some of the cape and boston harbor. If anyone is planning a trip let me know and I will try my best to clear my schedule. All I know is that I hooked into a 3-4lb largemouth and that towed me a bit. Can't wait to latch on to something bigger.