View Full Version : 14' Starcraft

Stroth
02-14-2007, 04:18 PM
I might be able to get my hands on a 14' 1964 Starcraft for very short money. It is a sportsman series. I have not had much luck finding anything on the net about this particular boat, but it is pretty old.

I am looking for something that I can fish some local ponds and reservoirs with.

Eventually, I would like to build it into more of a fishing boat with a floor/casting deck.

I am brand spankin' new to this boat scene.

What do you guys think? Should I take this offer, or wait...

How tough is it to modify this type of boat.

THANKS THANKS THANKS!

Stroth

fishsmith
02-14-2007, 04:26 PM
prepare yourself for leaky rivits. but don't let thta stop you. Silly putty makes a great quick/learn to live with fix.

because alum boats are prone to leaks becareful with a deck that limits access. If you like it, you'll have 2 or 10footitis in no time.

thefishingfreak
02-14-2007, 05:33 PM
my buddy Jon, aka leakyrivot, has one for the flats.
i'll see if i can dig up some pics. it's the balls.. he gutted it and made it a center console.

Stroth
02-14-2007, 08:09 PM
thanks for the replies.

I am sure there is a way I can fix any leaky rivets, but the silly putty sounds like a nice quick fix.

I will be curious to see some pics.

Once I get a look at the boat I will have a better handle on what the condition is.

Any thing in particular I should look for when I check it out?

Stroth
02-14-2007, 08:11 PM
thanks for the replies.

I am sure there is a way I can fix any leaky rivets, but the silly putty sounds like a nice quick fix.

I will be curious to see some pics.

Once I get a look at the boat I will have a better handle on what the condition is.

Any thing in particular I should look for when I check it out?

Flaptail
02-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Stroth, how are you? Nice to see you posting. Laeky rivets are wicked easy to fix. Need two people. one underneath the boat with a small block (4"Wx6"Lx1"D)of steel is best. other guy in in boat with hammer. locate loose rivet and guy underneath holds steel plate against it hard and tight. Guy inside hammers down to squash it a bit which instantly tightens it up. For seam leaks nothing beats MarineTex from West Marine, tough as steel when it cures and real hard to sand so spread it correctly when you use it. It's a two part putty and liquid about 11.00 bucks for an ounce. You can drill and tap it when cured.

See the pimp my skiff thread. go to link of my skiff. It's a 37 year old Mirro-Craft 14 Deep Fisherman. It laid dormant and neglected for the period between 1989 and 2003 and had little trees growing in it. But Aluminum doesn't go bad and she is better now than she was then and doesn't leak a wit. All new fitings, screws, nuts, bolts all SS Steel new seats, new paint.

Go for it you won't be dissapointed! PM ME if you have any questions I would be glad to help in that department!

Stroth
02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
Flap:

You are the man!

Thanks for the post, and I will keep in touch.

Stroth

Clammer
02-14-2007, 09:19 PM
the old Starcraft was heavy for a tin boat // but geat if you have a habit of rock-hopping :kewl:

thefishingfreak
02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
flats boat
got a 50 hp. and a 40 something pound thrust electric on the back.
3 batteries.
two fuel tanks.
gps. fishfinder. radio.etc... all the goodies..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/DSC02637.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/thefishingfreak/DSC06226.jpg

Slipknot
02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Stroth, good luck with that, sounds like a good investment.

FF, WOW nice job your friend did :btu: that is a sweet flats boat
but wouldn't the troller do better up front?

Sgt_Nutz
02-15-2007, 08:26 AM
My first boat was a 1970 something 14' Starcraft. Same problem with the rivets but easily fixed. Very forgiving and very stable fishing platform. I put in new seats and deck. If your handy it shouldnt be to hard to customize it to your liking. It got me all around Plymouth / Duxbury Bay, West end of the canal, Quincy Bay and some of the local ponds. Stearing and console had long sice been removed by someone so I was using an extended tiller on a 25hp Johnson. Transom mounted trolling motor too. Kinda miss it now as my 20' CC is to big for the lakes and ponds around here.
Does it come with power and a trailer??

thefishingfreak
02-15-2007, 11:08 AM
FF, WOW nice job your friend did :btu: that is a sweet flats boat
but wouldn't the troller do better up front?

the way it's set up it's perfect for slow trolling at night along the flats. just kick the electic on and point it strait. you can steer with the main engine.
that boat is strickly a nightime boat, i don't think it's ever seen daylight.

taJon
02-15-2007, 11:13 AM
thats a big striper FF. Nicely done

thefishingfreak
02-15-2007, 11:16 AM
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/boa/277765628.html

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/boa/277724566.html

Stroth
02-15-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I appreciate any info. and feedback.

Some nice looking skiffs here. FF, impressive work! Most likely I will not come up with anything like that, but it really shows the potential that is out there with these types of boats.

I honestly had no idea they were that versatile. I was just looking for something that I could drag my wife (and new baby boy !) out on the local lakes and reservoirs with. Now I hear you guys fishing these in the salt and my mind is racing. :splat:

I have the boat "put on hold" for me until I can take a look at it next week. Boat and trailer, no power yet --- looks like I will deal with that later, maybe after the tax man cuts me a check.

Once I get things rolling, I'll post pics of the progress in here. I have been sorely lacking in my contributions to striped-bass.com. Least I can do is add to some of the great threads here. Hopefully, there will be some nice before and after pics!

Stay tuned......

Stroth

Flaptail
02-16-2007, 01:25 PM
We will be watching for them!:kewl:

tattoobob
02-20-2007, 08:25 PM
I have a 14 foot starcraft with a 25 hp on it the boat is more than a flats boat, I take it everywhere I have been 2 miles out from shore in it, it is getting out the mouth of the river that's the tough part, I love the boat it is all I need.