View Full Version : "How would you fish this spot" thread

Back Beach
02-15-2007, 10:18 AM
What would you do here?

JFigliuolo
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, an obvious aanswer is in the cut durring a drop...

ChiefLinesider
02-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Where are the rocks? :hee:

crash
02-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Don't fish the beach much, but I'd wade to the black dots, and fan cast into the marked areas anytime on the drop. Interested to hear everybody elses opinion.

Spanish Fly
02-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Take the kayak out and start pluging!!!!!!

Goose
02-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Coming onto the bar far left, when reaching what looks to be the last jetty head straight out till I feel comfortable then work that darker area to the right.

baldwin
02-15-2007, 04:56 PM
The obvious IS to fish the cut during the drop, but the inside of the bar may produce nicely on the incoming, too.

Nebe
02-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Id take note if the current was running up or down the beach and wade out to the outer bar on the down current side and cast paralell to the beach. My strategy here is that bass will be lined up on the drop off of the uptide bar waiting to pounce on bait being swept over the edge of the bar-

using this strategy voids incoming/ outgoing tide dependancy

goosefish
02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
I sit there and read the water. Then I'd go to sleep.

NIB
02-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Don't u have a sidewalk to clear or somethin..
googlesnoop..

Back Beach
02-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Don't u have a sidewalk to clear or somethin..
googlesnoop..

Got some nice jetty pics coming up next........:laugha:

bloocrab
02-16-2007, 04:56 PM
I'd sit on the porch in one of those beach houses waiting for the fishermen to show up..............then as sooon as they hooked into something, I'd run down there full steam ahead and tell them to get out of my spot. :gu:

NIB
02-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Got some nice jetty pics coming up next........:laugha:

There ain't no secrets in NJ dude..
A few months ago some writer down here did a big article on most of em.
Go buy some grass seed,,:D

Back Beach
02-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Go buy some grass seed,,:D
:laugha: Where are my hooks?

We need to tone it down here, NIB. Seems a lot of fragile egos have been cracked on this site with the mention of some of the most widely publicized and written about fishing locations on the east coast. People have short memories, I guess. When the spring schoolie season starts and the fish show at a certain south county beach along with the crowds as they have for millenniums, people will blame it on spot burning. When the canal herring run lights up with fish and people, spot burning will again get the blame. God forbid large fish and fishermen show up on the back side of the cape as they have long before anyone on this board has been around, it will be spot burning again. When the greyhound busses full of s-b members looking for pounder pins show up in south jersey next spring, it will be on account of spot burning too, won’t it? The writers always get the blame when people acknowledge and take advantage of the obvious. Funny how it works.

Back Beach
02-17-2007, 10:11 AM
All the spot burning B.S. aside, good responses to the thread guys. The intent of the threads was to educate on how to approach a spot with certain characteristics, but a few guys missed that. For the record though, when fishing a spot that looks like the above pic, whether its the cape or rhody or elsewhere, I like the last hour of incoming water right up inside the hole where it meets the beach. A lot of my best surf fish have been caught at this time in holes like this one.

riverrat55
02-17-2007, 10:40 AM
On the out going tide moving water from left to right I would fish the left side and move out as the tide went out!!! Just the opposite way if the water was moving right to left!!! Last hour of incoming tide, as you said, anywhere inside the hole should be good!!!
Thanks for the information!!!

NIB
02-17-2007, 11:18 AM
All the spot burning B.S. aside, good responses to the thread guys. The intent of the threads was to educate on how to approach a spot with certain characteristics, but a few guys missed that. For the record though, when fishing a spot that looks like the above pic, whether its the cape or rhody or elsewhere, I like the last hour of incoming water right up inside the hole where it meets the beach. A lot of my best surf fish have been caught at this time in holes like this one.

Not arguing with ur success.Although high tide is the right tide in lots of locations I have learned through yrs of trial an error that 2-3 hrs down can also be as productive in a local like this.Depends how far those adjoing bars get covered with water.if they flood to 3 ft or so I have found the fish will wander up on the bars an will not set up to where they are supposed to be till the water drops.As the water drops bait will scurry out of there also.I have found thats when u will have the best concentrations of bait an the fish with the diner bell being rung..I would carefully disect both sides.Starting along the beach working the towards the right then the left.If there is a cross wind I would start on the side pushing the water out of the hole..Making short casts fanning out.I like to catch whats close first.I also Don't need to be standing in the water for this.I like to stay back. I really believe lots of guys who get right in the surf spook most of the fish they are tryin to catch before they get the chance.

Squid Hound Bob
02-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Cast A blind eel plug with trailing T.P. right off one of those sewerage outfall pipes

piemma
02-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Fish the points, baby!!! Fish will gather either side depending on the tide. Dropping on the outside. Inside on the rise.

Adrian
02-18-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with NIB, always check out the shallow water before you go wading up to your armpits, especially after dark!

I've noticed with with a lot of spots, the size of the tide can have a big influence over how it fishes best and at what stage of the tide. Rips and other fish holding currents will often set up differently depending on the volume of water pushing through.

tattoobob
02-18-2007, 12:25 PM
The problem with google is these aerials shots is they are over 4 yrs. old and sand shifts and moves that spot may not even exist anymore

Casting Z's
02-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Cast A blind eel plug with trailing T.P. right off one of those sewerage outfall pipes
I'm with you on that one! That would be the only reason I could see ever fishing a sandy beach. "Boulder fields forever!"