View Full Version : FISHING FOR FLUKE WITHOUT A BOAT

DRUMCORPFAN
07-08-2002, 02:29 PM
I'd like to catch some fluke in Rhode Island but I don't have a boat, Can I catch fluke from shore? or from a jetty. Thanks for all your help.:D

fishweewee
07-08-2002, 04:32 PM
Very doable from the surf, as long as it's not too rocky.

Just "do your own drift" from a stationary position during the daytime.

Tie running line to six feet of 30 lb. mono or fluoro leader (or lighter/heavier depending on rocks). Tie a dropper loop in the middle of the leader, and a 3/0 Gami Octopus hook (or fluke hook or teaser) at the end. Place a 2 or 3 oz bank sinker on the dropper loop. Sweeten the hook or teaser with a squid strip or a fresh piece of sea robin or choggie belly.

Cast out and drag your offering on the bottom fairly slowly (but not too slowly) and twitch it from time to time. Look for structure that drops off (hole with incline) in sandy areas. Rocky areas will hold fluke too.

Also try dragging the bottom with a 1.5 oz bucktail jig (white works wonders) tied directly to your leader during the day if you don't want to use bait or don't have it.

Fluke are also very aggressive predators at night. If you have moving water (such as underneath a bridge), they'll hit durn near anything (yo-zuri swimmers, rubber with lead heads, bucktails, etc.)

I'm no fluking expert...hope this helps.

-FlukeWeeWee

bloocrab
07-08-2002, 04:48 PM
...yes, you can....

.Squid strips on a fluke rig work quite well....and mummies are in, and they work killer too....and both are just silly together!!!:happy:

....find some shoal...or an area where sand meets rocks....4" snapper blues are bitczhen 2 !!!(SHHHHHHHHHHH..I didn't say that!!):D...I like water thats above 10 feet, although its not necessary....jigs bounced on the bottom with trailers or teasers are wicked also...just jig a bit slower than norm~....the little rubber squids found everywhere now..also work well, if you can make em' do the Fluke Juke!!

I'm not from the blackstone area...so I can't help you as far an "exact spot"...:D~:p

....Good Luck, but check your local regulations as far as the season goes >>>>>>

bloocrab
07-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Just "do your own drift" ...

I second that motion!!!:D

bloocrab
07-08-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by fishweewee
...from a stationary position during the daytime....

...and what, the missionary position during the night-time?...:eek: :eek:

...off to the Steam Pot with me!!!...:gorez:

Slipknot
07-08-2002, 05:17 PM
I catch fluke in the Cape Cod Canal on eelskin jigs:rolleyes:

Scotch Bonnet
07-08-2002, 05:32 PM
Caught some nice 22+" Fluke this morning off Quonnie. The bigger Fluke seem to be down that end. Started off the morning looking for Bass at the ledge off Quonnie and I thought I found the MOTHERLOAD. Marked 15' of fish on the ledge, unfortunately they were Black Sea Bass! Caught a nice one on a 10" eel! Fried them up tonight with the Fluke - very tasty. I like them better than the Fluke!

fishweewee
07-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bloocrab

...and what, the missionary position during the night-time?...:eek: :eek:

...off to the Steam Pot with me!!!...:gorez:

A Bloo...don't forget the Old Bay! :p :D :laughs: :smash: :faga: :hihi:

iflysw1
07-09-2002, 07:12 AM
The west wall in Jerusalem have plenty of fluke and so dose the URI bay campus. They do quite well with the setup described by bloocrab.With the new size limit of 6 fish at 17.5" not many fish are taken at least what I have observed.

JohnR
07-09-2002, 07:22 AM
Wesley? Is that you? Welcome back....

I thought the URI campus was closed off to fishing, did they reopen or am I missing something :err: ? thanks

iflysw1
07-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Hi John,
I know they closed the boat dock, but I believe you can still fish the shoreline. I could be wrong though, haven't been up there this season to many fish in Jerusalem area, to make it up that far.

DRUMCORPFAN
07-09-2002, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the help, You guys have been great with the info.:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Jenn
07-09-2002, 09:38 PM
...and what, the missionary position during the night-time?...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

...waters boiling.....plenty of crab seanoning.......

quit fluking around..........theres bass to catch!:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

Bill L
07-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Leo, there's a good article in this week's Fisherman about Fluke fishing in and around the Salt Pond area. The State Pier in Jerusalem would be a good bet, but the place can be crawlin with tourists :rolleyes: . West Wall should give you a little more breathing room.