View Full Version : Daytime Running Lights

DRM
07-08-2002, 02:36 PM
I have a new Chevy Tahoe with daytime running lights. When the light level drops to a certain point, the headlights turn on. I also have fog lamps that can only be used when the headlights are on. The problem arises when running the beach at night, I have no choice but to use my headlights which is a problem not only for other surfcasters, but for me as well since the brightness hinders my ability to see the waterline as I drive parallel to it. Have any of you chevy owners disabled these features so that you could drive with only your parking lights or fog lamps on? I suppose if I drive the beach enough with my lights on someone will disable them for me with a 6oz sinker.

Topwater
07-08-2002, 03:19 PM
I just bought a newer Chevy and was going to get around to asking the same question. I asked the dealership and the salesman didn't have an answer for me. I have to find an answer before the Vineyard in September.

wrench
07-08-2002, 04:10 PM
This information should be in your owners manual. You can disable the system each time you start the vehicle by turning the key to the run position and push the DOME lamp OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds,a chime will sound informing you that the system is off. The system will remain disabled until the ignition is is turned off and then on or by pressing the button four more times within six seconds and the chime will sound again signaling it has been deactivated. I have another way to disable the automatic part off the headlamps,but it requires the dash to be taken apart and some parts. Mike

fishweewee
07-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Argh, I hate those things. Before I got my sand sled, my sedan had day running lights and I couldn't turn them off. The friggin' bulbs burnt out so frequently that I was ready to slam the fusebox with a baseball bat.

Thank the Canadians for that "innovation." It's law there.

-FWW :af:

mikecc
07-08-2002, 07:02 PM
click the emergency brake one click this should sut off the lights while not engaging the brake.

SeaWolf
07-08-2002, 07:03 PM
try putting your emergency brake up one click. that works for a friend of mine's chevy full size.

DRM
07-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the replies. The Chevy dealer told me flat out that it wasn't possible. Figures

Topwater
07-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will try the dome over-ride button rather than using the parking brake. With my luck, I'll screw up the parking brake.

Topwater