View Full Version : jamestown R.I. ?

dan mess
07-09-2002, 07:20 AM
I have been fishing fresh water for about a year, and just this past weekend i bought my first salt water pole. I fished this sunday at jamestown R.I. for several hours without catching anything. I cast from shore off of the rocks. i used both lures and herrin as bait. what can you give me for advice? time of day? location? lures/live bait? i need some help.

Danmess

Fish_Eye
07-10-2002, 06:20 AM
dan,

You were in the right place, but perhaps at the wrong time. The best time to fish Beavertail (this time of year) is dawn or dusk. You need to watch the sun rise or set while you're fishing. Be very careful fishing off those rocks, you should be wearing Korkers on those slippery shale ledges.

Welcome to the wonderful world of surf fishing...I started by fishing Jamestown...errr, 40 plus years ago. Sometimes I don't always catch fish there, but I always love the view.

Good hunting,

Mike

dan mess
07-10-2002, 08:03 AM
thank you for responding to my question.
I also tried fishing for several hours at fort wetheral without any luck.
what is better to use lures or live bait? I am at the poit where i need to catch something; i'm getting fustrated.

thank you,
Danmess

JohnR
07-10-2002, 08:26 AM
Dan, patience :p - That area is very productive (and dangerous too). I have not fished it yet from shore but I've fished off of it from boat before. Many people express both how good the fishing can be but also the extra safety precautions necessary to use there...

As far as best to use? Eels, Plugs, & Bait all have there places there and else where. I'm not good enough to tell you to use this plug, on this rock, with that wind, and that tide. I will say that a popper, a needle fish & teaser, a wooden swimmer/darter - with or without teaser should work for plugs. Soft plastics will work, Eels will work, as will chunk bait...

That area would be good for you to inspect during daylight hours at lowere tides. Figure out where you would fish (pick the easier spots first) and where you would bring a fish in when you get one. Then fish it a couple times for a couple hours before sunset to an hour after. Learn it this way. Then you'll be familiar enough with a spot...

I also HIGHLY recommend you fish the spot with another person. I've often thought of going there, spur of the moment, but have changed my mind fishing solo in a hard spot that I have not surffished before... just not safe...

Also check out that On the Water book on surf casting RI...