View Full Version : Prescription glasses/polarized clip ons?

CAL
02-19-2007, 10:41 AM
I used to just leave my prescription glasses in the car and wear a pair of polarized sunglasses, but now I need to wear my glasses all the time. Can't re-tie without them.

I was wondering what you guys that wear glasses use. Prescription polarized lenses, the magnetic clip ons you can get at the eye place, aftermarket clip ons?

MrHunters
02-19-2007, 10:45 AM
contacts and cheap polarized sunglasses....

im pretty rough on my glasses so im not going to shell out the cash for expensive ones...

I HATE having to wear glasses. Especially on the water with the sun glare

lasik in 3 years. I can't wait.

spence
02-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I had a pair of prescription Maui Jims some time ago. Cost a small fortune but were really, really nice.

Now I'm wearing contacts, but with astigmatisim it's just not the same.

-spence

MrHunters
02-19-2007, 10:50 AM
spence i have an astigmatisim too... have you tried any of the new contacts for it? i would reccomenend you head in to the eye doc if you havenet.... i had no idea how much better it is with the correct fitting.

spence
02-19-2007, 10:54 AM
spence i have an astigmatisim too... have you tried any of the new contacts for it? i would reccomenend you head in to the eye doc if you havenet.... i had no idea how much better it is with the correct fitting.
Yes, these are brand new...

Part of the problem could be that I'm just a new contact wearer, and because I'm on a computer a lot I can't wear them as much as I should.

But they just don't feel that comfortable and my night vision isn't nearly as good as with real glasses.

-spence

MrHunters
02-19-2007, 10:59 AM
give it a chance... i hated them at first but now hardly notice them unless they dry out... which always sucks..

you might be in the wrong brand too... when you pay for a fitting you should be able to go back as many times as it takes to find the right pair. (took three different brands for me)

other thing to remember is (which im sure was explained) if you put the contact in upside down its going to take some time to focus properly because it needs to right itself....another pain in the arse with an astimatisim

spence
02-19-2007, 11:01 AM
other thing to remember is (which im sure was explained) if you put the contact in upside down its going to take some time to focus properly because it needs to right itself....another pain in the arse with an astimatisim
Yes, this is sometimes a big problem and sometimes not. I'm about out of my lenses and plan to talk to them to ensure the fit is right.

Sorry to derail the thread :blush:

-spence

CAL
02-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Got astigmatisim here too. Although I don't know if I could get used to contacts.

Spence, how and where do you get those prescription Maui Jims?

spence
02-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Spence, how and where do you get those prescription Maui Jims?
Any eye doctor who sells Maui Jim could probably set you up. They're probably about twice the cost of regular Maui Jims...but the quality is sublime.

-spence

tattoobob
02-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Fish at night

jim sylvester
02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Yes, these are brand new...

Part of the problem could be that I'm just a new contact wearer, and because I'm on a computer a lot I can't wear them as much as I should.

But they just don't feel that comfortable and my night vision isn't nearly as good as with real glasses.

-spence

spence, i sold optholmic deivces (some of which were contact lenses) for 7 years.

astigmatic patients have had lenses available to them since 1994.the first being focus toric, which was a great lens until 2004 when new technology came out for toric lenses. These new lenses won't dry for comuter users, and frequent travelers on aiplanes, will be fine for night vision and will make your every day things to do much more enjoyable without adjusting glasses on your face. Ask your eye care professional or I can direct you in the right way since i worked with them all and know the best from the worst dr's out there. Trust me, there are some you need to stay away from.

jim sylvester
02-19-2007, 11:39 AM
Any eye doctor who sells Maui Jim could probably set you up. They're probably about twice the cost of regular Maui Jims...but the quality is sublime.

-spence

I agree... Maui's are great, and prescription is available for them, but comes at a premium price

labrax
02-19-2007, 11:51 AM
I wear contacts and use prescription sunglasses. The clip-ons allow too much reflected light, but you can go to some of the larger Wal-Marts and pick up a clip-on that they sell for $10-14 - they are OK for what they are, and I have used them too for years. They have some other polarized glasses that fit over the glasses - they are not like the elderly wear, they are smaller and fit better. Cocoons and there is another brand. Have seen them at Brooks, #^&#^&#^&#^&s, CVS, Walmart, etc. They are decent if only for fishing. Having the side shields on them help block out the light that would be reflected back to the inside of the glasses.

BTW - have bought two pairs of prescription glasses at an online place called goggles4u put the www and the .com at the end. They will make any pair of glasses (about $25 for regular non-bifocal pair of glasses - lenses and frames) and make them into non-polarized sunglasses.

CAL
02-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Fish at night

I knew it wouldn't be long before that came up :hihi:

tattoobob
02-19-2007, 11:54 AM
I couldn't resist

Finaddict
02-19-2007, 12:01 PM
For day time I use prescription Ocean Waves, exceptional ... Maui Jims are exceptional as well ... although I could not get the wrap around stryle in prescription ... so I have a pair of Costa Del Mars for driving and hanging out ... but if you have the money ... go with Mauis or Ocean Waves ... they both are great.

parker23
02-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Just had my new prescription filled in Dec. New Maui w/prescription lens cost $585.00. I will use my old Maui prescription in the surf and the new ones in the boat.

The Maui's are great, however, I got a huge squash and they don't wrap enough. I cannot locate a source for those leather "blinders" on the side that were popular in the 80's.

Swimmer
02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I have prescription polarized glasses and treat with kid gloves. Never wipe them off with anything other than a soft towel. Never clean them in the water. Get wet leave them as they are until I can clean properly. Have to get a good pair of croakies though. They were over $500.00 at Pearl in Hanover. First pair came tyhrough and the polarizing didn't seal right. The guy wouldn't even show them to me. Put them back in the box and sent for a new pair. I treat my regular glasses well also but still manage to scatch them up. I'll never have another polarized pair so I am treating them in that regard. Those Maui's are awesome, really awesome. Before I needed glasses I used to buy them.

Jenn
02-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Frequency 55 Toric. they are monthlys and I use the clear care cleaning system. Was having a VERY hard time wearing contacts because they were drying out. the lenses are great and believe it or not the cleaning solutions you use are key too. I didnt used to think so but I finally changed back to the clear care and have not had a problem since.

Anyway I either have the contacts with sunglasses or I have a pair of prescription polarized.

spence
02-19-2007, 03:00 PM
I've been using the Clear Care system most of the time, unless I'm on the road when it's not easy to carry all the extra fluids. I'm assuming it's not a problem to swap?

My contacts are the Acuvue Advanced for Astigmatism and I do have problems with them drying out...

-spence

Roger
02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
I too switched to contacts for outdoor activities. No more fogging on cold mornings, or squinting through spray caked glasses. No more spending $$$ for prescription sun and regular glasses. I have astigmatism and have no problems with contacts.

Cal, you might want to consider it before dropping that kind of coin on prescription sunglasses every three or so years as your prescription changes, while still putting up with the hassle of wearing glasses on the water.

CAL
02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Although I still don't think I could get used to contacts (just the reflex of putting something in my eye), what does a years worth of contacts typically go for?

CAL
02-19-2007, 03:15 PM
I priced some Raybans today. Wraparound, prescription, polarized, comfortable. About $200. Does that sound reasonable? The MJ's are a bit too much.

spence
02-19-2007, 03:26 PM
I think you're talking $360 or so...less any rebates available.

If the optics in the Ray Bans are to your liking I'd say go for it.

-spence

BW from AZ
02-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I used some cheap soft bifocal incerts that stuck to the inside of my
shades. got em at the do it your self reading glasses in "wally world" or cheapy "RX", sorry got crs. followed directions and they stuck like glue.

gone fishin
02-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Cal --- take it from one who has been down the road you are now on. I don't know the shape of your prescription glasses, but have the following suggestion. Go to BJ's and look at the spinner rack near their eyeglass service. They are clipon's and they are polarized. Cost about 17 buks I think and they work just fine.
I have a optomotrist who is a friend and I brought a pair of the clipons to him to check for polarizing an UV effectivness. He was surprised at the quality of the sunglasses and told me they were as good as getting prescription ground polarized sunglasses.
I now buy them two pair at a time. Keep a spare just in case I loose em.:humpty:

beamie
02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Cal,

Go to King Optical in Braintree. Kind of hard to find. I have been going there since I was a kid. They can make presciption polariods for $150 or so. No they won't be as nice as Maui Jim's or the other fancy ones but I like what I have and when they got knocked off y our head they won't hurt the wallet as much.

Jenn
02-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Brought my prescription to Walmart Vision and got the polarized lenses and frames for just under $100! I no I break or loose sunglasses like mad so I wasnt going to spend a fortune. I know there are better out there but I was pleasantly surprised that they were decent for that amount of money. Not to mention your prescrition changes so......

Also if you have an old pair of frames you can see if they can put just the polarized/presciption lenses in them. May help you save a few $$$.

Tburg
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
My wife had the surgery last week... She just about had coke bottles for glasses. She says her vision is better than when she wore contacts or her glasses. ...Now she can see how ugly I am.

I tired of my glasses and I hate contacts, since it worked so well for her I am scheduled in about three weeks to get mine done. Its not cheap but you only go around once, might as well be able to see the view.

t.orlando
02-20-2007, 09:19 PM
My wife had the surgery last week... She just about had coke bottles for glasses. She says her vision is better than when she wore contacts or her glasses. ...Now she can see how ugly I am.

I tired of my glasses and I hate contacts, since it worked so well for her I am scheduled in about three weeks to get mine done. Its not cheap but you only go around once, might as well be able to see the view.
:btu: Had mine done a few months ago, :claps:

BW from AZ
02-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Tburg, mom had her eyes done and loved it. doc asked if she wanted to see near or far (read or drive). didnt know there was a choice