View Full Version : Seeing Red???

Jenn
02-22-2007, 06:22 PM
ok..... I know this may be the "stupid question of the day" but this one has me perplexed and I have to ask. Its probably more of a freshwater question too but here goes.....

The color red, red hooks are marketed as a visual to the fish to make your bait appear to be injured/bleeding right? So that would indicate that the fish can SEE it. well ok fine I guess I can grasp that concept. (Not sure I believe that a fish would take a lure with a red hook over a non red hook but I havent tried them so who am I to judge....)

Now here is the really confusing part. Cajun Line. If your not familiar with it....its RED! They claim the color red dissapears under water!

What gives? Anyone know if both can be true? Maybe since one is metal and the other is mono there is a good explanation for this or is it just a classic case of marketing gimmicks?

MAC
02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
from what I remember reading, Red is the first color in the spectrum to disappear underwater. Somewhere around 5'

Spanish Fly
02-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Mac, I believe you are correct on that one!!!

tattoobob
02-22-2007, 06:32 PM
from what I remember reading, Red is the first color in the spectrum to disappear underwater. Somewhere around 5'

Yah that

Christian
02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
that cajun redline seems to me to be pretty stupid
yes, its red, and its the first color to disapear in the spectrum, but once the red is not visible, it will appear black...right?

clear mono is clear, both above and below water, 1" or 100', it doesnt matter.

nothing blends in better than something that is translucent.

theyre just trying to sell their product.

Jenn
02-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Interesting.....hope I dont get any nasty emails now from the "red hook" companies!!!!!;) ;)

Mike P
02-22-2007, 07:34 PM
that cajun redline seems to me to be pretty stupid
yes, its red, and its the first color to disapear in the spectrum, but once the red is not visible, it will appear black...right?

Right--black or dark grey.

ChiefLinesider
02-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Ive never felt the need to change my hooks to red ones, or change to red cajun line.

MrHunters
02-22-2007, 07:59 PM
if red dissapears at 5 ft then perhaps its to hide the hook? i mean.... how unnatural is a shiny sharp turd.

wheresmy50
02-22-2007, 08:15 PM
They did some studies and found that red is the color most likely to hook a fisherman.

How deep does clear line need to be to disappear?

Red hooks and splashes of red paint attract fish, red line disappears. Which is it?

In any case, the red finish seems to wear off easier than the silver or black chrome finishes, so I don't use red hooks.

spence
02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Who cares if Cajun line is red, it's really crappy fishing line :gf:

-spence

EricM
02-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Read Colin Kageyama's book "What Fish See." Lots of underwater pictures of different colors at different depths to show color shifts in different colored waters. Some reds disappear, and other reds don't...depends on the type of red. At the surface, there is no color shift, so on surface lures it shouldn't make much of a difference. But starting from a few feet below the surface, you have to check to see if the paint or fly tying material or whatever you are using will show up or not.

pbadad
02-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Interesting post. Yesterday saw a show on fishing smallies. Cajon line and Diaichi red hooks were used with shiner bait. The narrator asked the pro guest how does red line disappear and red hooks show up. His statement was that the line is translucent and light flows through causing the disappearance and the red hooks are opaque keeping light to flow through hence red showing up to 70'. Believe what you want. Maybe a subject for Mythbusters!!

baldwin
02-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Seems to me that that red line would look gray under water. If we see the red above water, it would seem that it isn't very transparent.

Goose
02-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Red is hot!

:rolleyes:

Sweetwater
02-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Jenn, I often wondered the same thing about "blood red" and "red disappearing." I think that the color red becomes undetectable as red under 5' or so, but agree that it is still visible as "grey." I also agree with the earlier comment that Cajun is just lousy line.

If you want to be as invisible as possible, then flourocarbon leaders are the way to go, especially if you like a high visibility main line.

fishsmith
02-23-2007, 06:59 PM
red hooks stink :hidin:

http://www.striped-bass.com/gallery/files/4/6/3/0606060008.JPG

Swimmer
02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Jenn read the book "What Fish See". I too believe and still do that red is the first color in the spectrum to dissappear completely at depth. But red in clear water is visible quite deep. I fish with a guy during the commercial season that wont use any other hook but red.

Bernzy
02-23-2007, 08:28 PM
I've been using Cajun Red for about 2 years. I like it.
Abrasion resistant and durable. I only use on my spinning reels.
Can't beat the price.

Just MHO.

Bernzy

Jenn
02-24-2007, 08:47 AM
All very interesting. I really dont have a desire to use either red product. (though maybe I should be??...!!) but more a question of how can two products can be red and claim just the opposite of each other!!!!!

I like the mythbusters idea....perhaps I will have to submit that idea to them! HA!HA!

bassmaster
02-24-2007, 10:10 AM
bobby bluefish uses red hooks:tooth: got sand eel

Raven
03-26-2007, 04:58 PM
with red line and red hooks...and see if it
out fishes everything else....

if it works better....than it will.