View Full Version : Fireline ?

texican
02-22-2007, 06:53 PM
I have been using PP for the past two years and have had trouble with break offs so I am going to switch to fireline. The trouble I had with PP is it would break at the knot. At first I had 30lb test then moved up to 50lb test because I thought it was the knot strenght. But problem continued I started to notice that the knot(Crazy Alberto) connecting the PP to mono(shock leader) was getting stringy and fuzzy before I would launch my plugs to plugtopia. Sorry, about that I needed to vent:realmad: ! My question is do I need mono backing on my spinning reel and do I need a shock leader? And what knot is best. THANKS!

bassmaster
02-22-2007, 06:57 PM
palomar knot

Vogt
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Yes to mono backing, yes to mono or flouro leader(your choice), and fireline is very good with knots.

MAC
02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
I run a swivel between braid and mono leader. My opinion is a swivel is a must on spinning gear. If using conventional I forgo the swivel and tie direct. I only use a shocker if using heavy stuff on a conventional. The knot of choice for me is a uni to uni. a drop of zap a gap on the braid side helps a lot too.

On the backing; it depends on what reel I am putting braid on. A VS 250 will hold probably 100 bux worth of braid so mono backing out to the holes in spool is a must. but if using a daiwa emblem pro or similar reel I only put enough mono on spool to to cover the arbor.

EricM
02-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Yes to fireline. Yes to Palomar knot. Yes to mono backing. On the knot, I skip the glue, prefer to just pull down HARD with a glove.

texican
02-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks for your imputs fellas an little bit helps:happy:

baldwin
02-23-2007, 09:04 AM
I've used Fireline for years, love it. For most of those years, I've tied direct, even with spinning rod. I know a lot of you will say this is a wrong way to do it, but I didn't have any negative results, had no fewer fish than those around me, and often more (not necessarily because of tying direct). Now, I'm using a shock leader, mostly to keep from cutting my hands on braid while landing fish. I like to tie direct with a reverse Albright, as I hate reeling the swivel thru my tip-top and casting the ring out of the guide. Maybe I'll use a larger swivel. Any thoughts on this?

JFigliuolo
02-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I've used Fireline for years, love it. For most of those years, I've tied direct, even with spinning rod. I know a lot of you will say this is a wrong way to do it, but I didn't have any negative results, had no fewer fish than those around me, and often more (not necessarily because of tying direct). Now, I'm using a shock leader, mostly to keep from cutting my hands on braid while landing fish. I like to tie direct with a reverse Albright, as I hate reeling the swivel thru my tip-top and casting the ring out of the guide. Maybe I'll use a larger swivel. Any thoughts on this?

I use a big swivel and a small to guide so the swivel cannot pass through the guide. I am NOTORIOS for busting out my top guide by casting the swivel through it.

Joe
02-23-2007, 09:11 AM
If it's breaking at the knot then it's the knot coming undone - not breaking. (If there is a curl at the end of running line, that is evidence of knot failure.) You were probably using a clinch knot where the running line meets the terminal tackle, or the line was failing where the mono met braid. A six turn improved clinch knot does hold braid- I did not think it would but I had it demonstrated to me that it does - I still think you are better off with a palomar.

If you find yourself going to fifty pound braid - then you might as well fish mono - the increase in line diameter from thirty to fifty causes you to lose the best advantage that braid gives you: increased casting distance. At the same time you lose casting distance, you do not gain much in the way of abrasion resistance - the worst of both worlds.

Unless you are throwing bait - skip the shock leader - you're just adding another knot - another weak point. Thirty-pound braid breaks at about forty-five - a shocker is only necessary for heavy bait fishing. All knots degrade simply from casting and should be re-tied frequently over the course of a trip, but knots that are used with shock leaders really degrade - going through the guides does a number on the connection. If you use one you should inspect it frequently for wear and re-tie it when needed.
http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/fishing_knots_lg.jpg
Practical Fishing Knots (http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SRIOTS&Product_Code=BVPFN&Category_Code=BV) - by Sosin & Kreh - is a good knot resource.

Terence
02-23-2007, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=MAC;466583]I run a swivel between braid and mono leader. My opinion is a swivel is a must on spinning gear.

Mac is this due to line twist? Love Fireline BTW

Joe
02-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Braid has no memory....but a swivel and a long leader is good idea.

Blitzseeker
02-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I swear by fireline...best I've found for the fishing I do.