View Full Version : Boston area tackle shop?

Big Vern
07-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Wow - two threads, one day. Who knows, I might be a regular poster before no long.

Anyway...I'm looking to purchase a new rod reel (Shimano 4500/6500 Baitrunner with a rod to match). I thought I'd wait until the weekend, but it looks like I might be out on the harbor tonight, and I want the new rod for that. I work in downtown Boston, and was wondering where the nearest tackle shop would be.

Thanks

fishsmith
07-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Bob Smith's near the jewlers building is the only one I know of, but I don't know if it's the best deal around.

JohnR
07-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Don - I'm over on Federal St & the nearest places are a Bob Smiths off Washington (across from Borders on that tiny side street before the church) & one on Comm ave in Brighton but I've heard they've closed - do not know if this is true. Plus their prices were high, a lot higher than most places. There is a shop in Arlington (nice guys, high prices) and Everett has Fishing Finadicts.

In Quincy, one of our sponsors, http://www.striped-bass.com/tackleshops.shtml is on 6a - he carries that reel. In Dorchester at Neponset Circle is Neponset Circle Fishing & Darts, where you may or may not get the best deal from Darrel (sorry pal), you'll wait in line for 2 days (sorry pal) and you're close to the Sportsman's Den anyway :D ....

Big Vern
07-11-2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks - I'm going to try to get down to Quincy if at all possible.

JohnR
07-11-2002, 11:09 AM
Call him first. I know he carries that model but another guy from the site just bought one too, he should still have it though....

MightyMouse
07-11-2002, 06:35 PM
Where's that place in Arlington? Any idea of hours of business?

JohnR
07-11-2002, 07:31 PM
If I remember correctly (it's been 4-5 years since I've been there) it on Mass Ave near the Sumerville line. Arlington Bait & Tackle. Not a huge selection and about 50-50 fresh/salt...

DaveTV
07-15-2002, 02:56 PM
try http://gofishin.com/ great gear. great prices

JohnR
07-15-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey DaveTV - welcome to Striped-Bass.com

I checked out that site, good prices (excellent in some cases) but they didn't seem to have much of the better gear typical to around here, like Penn 965s/ABU 6500s/Nautils/surf rods... that sort of stuff. Certainly in surf gear...